Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

When I saw the Mark Murphy clip and him saying with a grin “I would love to tell you everything you want to know about Aaron Rodgers and the Jets but I’m sworn to secrecy not to say anything.” The choice of his words makes it really seem to me that the deal is done and this is all for the purposes of media hype and attention. If he was being serious he could have said something like 'we are working on it' or use the platform to put a bit of pressure on the Jets 'the deal will be done when we get what we want.'

GMs make deals very quickly take the draft, every GM knows how to make things happen, this is not a complex deal. They'll announce it when the media finally gets bored of the story, for the time being they got everyone hooked so why loose that attention, it's all free press. 

Why would that make any sense for either side?

Just to add to that, just looking at the Raiders if they don't sign Jimmy G they they would now have $36m in cap space this year, and next year again with no Jimmy G on the roster they would have $86m cap space!!! Rodgers contract would not be a problem.

I think the Packers set the asking price for Rodgers as a 1st rounder in 2023 and whatever beyond and with the Raiders picking at 7, they immediately pulled themself out of the race. If the bidding started at a 2nd rounder, at pick 38 for the Raiders, they would have been a very interested party in this deal. It would be a no brainer, Rodgers back with Adams and Vegas has the cap space and would love to have a franchise QB for a year or so. 

Also I think that the Jets were not intereted intially at the Packers price but as soon as Carr decided on the Saints the Jets had to make a move and the next day they were out to meet Rodgers. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why would that make any sense for either side?

It would be interesting to see if merch sales have gone up with the Packers/Jets in the news everyday?
I know personally, I have looked at Packers merch more in the past week or so than I would ever normally. Especially Love jerseys...

Not trading for Rodgers is the smartest move the Raiders have made in years.  Garropolo knows McDaniels’ system, is immensely less expensive than Rodgers and he isn’t a prima donna who’s going to hold his future over their heads the way 12 will.  

If the Raiders were a QB away from contending for a division title and potentially a SB, they prolly would take that chance.  Instead they’re going to be battling it out with DEN for 3rd place in the AFC West.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

He would be practically free for the new team (1.2M cap hit) and no dead cap for next year if they decide to cut him. We, on the other hand, would have 70M dead cap that accelerates to the current year and we don't have that much space so that's something that just can't happen.

Damn, we can get a Wilson haul at that point, too bad we couldn’t eat the cap somehow.

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Not trading for Rodgers is the smartest move the Raiders have made in years.  Garropolo knows McDaniels’ system, is immensely less expensive than Rodgers and he isn’t a prima donna who’s going to hold his future over their heads the way 12 will.  

If the Raiders were a QB away from contending for a division title and potentially a SB, they prolly would take that chance.  Instead they’re going to be battling it out with DEN for 3rd place in the AFC West.  

Point being if the price is low the number of buyers goes up. If the price was a second rounder which one of these teams that picks before the Jets would'nt be interested?

32) Pittsburgh Steelers 
33) Houston Texans
34) Arizona Cardinals
35) Indianapolis Colts
36) Los Angeles Rams
37) Seattle Seahawks 
38) Las Vegas Raiders
39) Carolina Panthers
40) New Orleans Saints
41) Tennessee Titans
42) Cleveland Browns

Certainly I agree the Jets is the perfect storm for Rodgers in terms of coaches, players already in place, they are ready to make a run. If anything that drives up the price as Rodgers would want the move bad as well.

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Point being if the price is low the number of buyers goes up. If the price was a second rounder which one of these teams that picks before the Jets would'nt be interested?

32) Pittsburgh Steelers 
33) Houston Texans
34) Arizona Cardinals
35) Indianapolis Colts
36) Los Angeles Rams
37) Seattle Seahawks 
38) Las Vegas Raiders
39) Carolina Panthers
40) New Orleans Saints
41) Tennessee Titans
42) Cleveland Browns

Certainly I agree the Jets is the perfect storm for Rodgers in terms of coaches, players already in place, they are ready to make a run. If anything that drives up the price as Rodgers would want the move bad as well.

And that's Rodgers applies his leverage.  He could simply say I'll retire if I'm not traded to any team other than the Jets.  No team is going to offer up anything of value for a player threatening to retire.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's Rodgers applies his leverage.  He could simply say I'll retire if I'm not traded to any team other than the Jets.  No team is going to offer up anything of value for a player threatening to retire.

I think he would have been very open to going to the Raiders. I even think the Pats would have been an option, as would the Niners. The options of teams to go to is there. The price is what took teams out of the race not Rodgers contract or threat to retire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I think the Jets won't do the deal till Rogers commits to a length of playing, they don't want to be doing this yearly charade and they want Rodgers to alter his contract so they are not left with a heavy cap hit. Those factors are the only things that make sense why the deal has not been done, nothing to do with the Packers and compensation, that should and would have been an easy an already worked out conversation.

I agree with this assessment. The problem is - and this is pure conjecture - I do not think Rodgers wants to play for the Jets. He has agreed to play for them because they are the first (maybe only) team to pursue hard enough to get to this point but he does not want to lock into multiple years. The Jets may have sensed this and made some premature moves to get Rodgers' friends. 

Ultimately, he probably wants to choose a destination after this year should he decide to keep playing and of course, the Jets do not want that. That makes more sense to me than the Packers allowing the Jets to talk to Rodgers without at least a framework in place. Rodgers may be the one who is waiting and hoping for a second suitor. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I do not think Rodgers wants to play for the Jets

I don't think though he would have come out on the Pat show and said it. If he wasn't sold on the Jets he could have said I'm not calling it day, I want to play, yes I spoke with the Jets and let's see where it goes. The Jets simple just make too much sense here with Hackett, a top 4 defence etc.

9 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Ultimately, he probably wants to choose a destination after this year should he decide to keep playing and of course, the Jets do not want that.

I think that could be a big part of it. He might want to really follow in Favre's shoes and use the Jets as a stepping stone to move on, maybe to the Niners in 2024.

I really feel the hang up here is Rodgers and his length of playing time rather than any asking price or compensation.

Edited by Brit Pack

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
'25 Conditional Pick**

Green Bay Packers Receive:
'24 Conditional Pick*

* For the conditional pick the Packers receive, the Packers receive a FRP if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl.  They receive a SRP if the Jets make the playoffs.  And if the Jets miss the playoffs all together, the Packers get a 3rd round pick for Aaron Rodgers.  If for some reason Rodgers doesn't play a single snap for the Jets, they owe the Packers nothing.

** For the Jets' conditional pick, the pick is extinguished if Rodgers plays even 1 snap in 2024 whether it be with the Jets or another team.  IF Rodgers doesn't play in 2024, the Jets receive a SRP if they give the Packers a FRP in 2023.  The Jets receive a 3rd round pick in 2025 if the Jets give the Packers a 2nd round pick in 2024.  And the Jets receive a 4th round pick if the Packers receive the Jets' 3rd round pick in 2024.

What say you Packers' fans?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He has no such leverage more than likely.  At the end of the season meeting when Rodg was told the paradigm had changed he more than likely threatened just that. Retirement.  The Packer brass was prepared for that and were fine with that very thing.  Go ahead.

Everyone knew he wasn’t going to retire, but if he did the Packers we’re more than fine with it.

No leverage.

Just now, CWood21 said:

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
'25 Conditional Pick**

Green Bay Packers Receive:
'24 Conditional Pick*

* For the conditional pick the Packers receive, the Packers receive a FRP if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl.  They receive a SRP if the Jets make the playoffs.  And if the Jets miss the playoffs all together, the Packers get a 3rd round pick for Aaron Rodgers.  If for some reason Rodgers doesn't play a single snap for the Jets, they owe the Packers nothing.

** For the Jets' conditional pick, the pick is extinguished if Rodgers plays even 1 snap in 2024 whether it be with the Jets or another team.  IF Rodgers doesn't play in 2024, the Jets receive a SRP if they give the Packers a FRP in 2023.  The Jets receive a 3rd round pick in 2025 if the Jets give the Packers a 2nd round pick in 2024.  And the Jets receive a 4th round pick if the Packers receive the Jets' 3rd round pick in 2024.

What say you Packers' fans?

Make it happen 👍

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I've been saying for awhile that I thought AR was trying to kill his market value.