Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Using the rational actor model of decision-making, which would you choose-

GB receives- Peanuts in draft pick comp, 40 million in dead cap in 2023, clean/clear of Rodgers for 2024 (& other teams knowing GB can be abused in negotiations. Less draft capital in 2025.)

GB receives- Rodgers in the building (with all that entails) and a decision to make on the 23 option (don't exercise- 75m cap hit in 2023 or do exercise- Now there is a 70 million dead cap hit in 2024) (& other teams knowing not to get cute in GB negotiations after seeing the NYJ FO get fired. More draft capital in 2025)

You are leaving out an important part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Using the rational actor model of decision-making, which would you choose-

GB receives- Peanuts in draft pick comp, 40 million in dead cap in 2023, clean/clear of Rodgers for 2024

GB receives- Rodgers in the building (with all that entails) and a decision to make on the 23 option (don't exercise- 75m cap hit in 2023 or do exercise- Now there is a 70 million dead cap hit in 2024)

You’re forgetting at least one option.  Trade him to another team for a better return and let him decide if he’ll play there or retire.  I’d much rather he retire than take next to nothing for him.  If that team (Steelers, Colts among others) make some adjustments for him he might suddenly have a philosophical change of heart.  He sure doesn’t want to retire….

• Like 1

Upfront, I will admit my bias as a Packers fan, but Mark Murphy saying that stuff about “if things don’t work out the way we want” leads me to think it’s the jets trying to lowball GB. Everyone likes to say Murphy is a goofball who talks too much, but he runs the show at the top one of the most famous and popular brands in sports: he knows exactly what he was saying. 

To me, he was indicating to the Jets that if they don’t get serious, we’ll just hang onto 12 and figure it out. We’re not giving him away. Now, it may not work out that way in the end, but that is what I took Murphy’s public play to be. 

Just now, 15412 said:

You’re forgetting at least one option.  Trade him to another team for a better return and let him decide if he’ll play there or retire-Who? Why isn't this team involved now if they're willing to pay more than the Jets? Don't forget GB's downside in this if they can't find a trade partner- can't cut him, can't have him on the cap without exercising the option, can't exercise the option.  I’d much rather he retire than take next to nothing for him. Will he quietly retire and concede to GB after he publicly stated he intends to play for the Jets?  If that team (Steelers, Colts among others) make some adjustments for him he might suddenly have a philosophical change of heart.  He sure doesn’t want to retire….

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

This team may very well be involved now, we don’t know.  We also don’t know the Jets are lowballing, but if they are I would be up talking with every team I can and there are plenty.  Make the trade and let Rodg decide.  Play, or retire.

I mean, the thing about the Packers negotiating position is is the Jets aren't willing to make a good enough offer between now and the draft the Packers have absolutely no reason to consummate a trade between April 28th and June 1st.

One imagines that the Jets would prefer to have Rodgers in the building during as much of the offseason program as possible, but don't really need to have him now.  So I guess the question will be is if as we get closer to the draft whether the Jets get nervous about not having him before mid-June, and move off their current offer.

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

They are being irrational if they aren't offering pick 13.

It doesn't even need to be #13 straight up.  In fact teams generally prefer to avoid trading a single pick for a single player to avoid "x was traded for y" comparisons.  So something like "13 and 112 and a conditional '24 pick for Rodgers and #45" probably gets it done.   That's "the Jets value Rodgers as a low 20s pick not a low teens pick"but I bet GB jumps on that.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

All you who are saying that Rodgers is washed have to remember that he was playing with a broken thumb last year, on his throwing hand. That thumb is now healed. Both the Jets and the Packers know that.

Now I will concede that Rodgers has developed a tendency to choke in big games, but physically, he should be able to play at a relatively high level for a few more years.

If the Jets are willing to work with that choking issue, and think he can overcome that to win a Super Bowl, then Rodgers is worth a couple of number 1s. If they don't think that, then they wouldn't/shouldn't have started the trade talks in the first place.

Stick to your guns Gute.