Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

While that is a compelling counter argument, exercising the option or counting #12 for 60 million against this year's cap is untenable. GB has 171 days to avoid financial calamity by trading him or getting him to retire (I don't see the retirement angle on this). If the front office waits around hoping for another interested party, that is a huge risk to take if one never materializes...

Why are you stating that Rodgers will count $60M against the 2023 cap?

Care to explain your understanding of the contract?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why are you stating that Rodgers will count $60M against the 2023 cap?

Care to explain your understanding of the contract?

Good lord, don't ask him for that .. especially after his page long diatribe posted before. You are asking for it and hope he doesn't bite. 

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Really, the people who say "what if Aaron Rodgers shows up at OTAs or shows up at training camp to want to compete for the job" really don't have a very good window into the mindset of Aaron Rodgers (something the Packers have a lot of insight into.)

It's pretty clear that he's already moved on and decided if he plays this year it's going to be for the Jets.  Since he's not somebody who will change his mind in the face of contrary evidence despite prizing himself on being a "free thinker" until he has the ability to be in the Jets building, work with the Jets coaches, etc. he's just not going to worry about football.  If that "not worrying about football" period includes training camp or the entire season, then so be it.

The one thing I really respect and believe about Rodgers during this process is he won’t do to Love what Favre did to him.  I actually think he would retire over creating that circus

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Good lord, don't ask him for that .. especially after his page long diatribe posted before. You are asking for it and hope he doesn't bite. 

I'm genuinely curious as to his understanding.   Doubtful he posts much about it.

6 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't think most people have come around to how screwed the Packers really are if the Jets have just a bit of resolve. 

Here from realgm ?

and by resolve you mean wait until September and Saleh and Douglass risk their jobs by not making the playoffs… big gamble…. That 1(13) won’t get them to the playoffs,  MILF and Gute are fine for 2-3 years…

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't think most people have come around to how screwed the Packers really are if the Jets have just a bit of resolve. 

They're not screwed at all. Worst case scenario: someone has to win the starting QB role. Open competition. Team and staff vote at end of camp and simple majority leads us into 2023.

• Like 2

Yeah, if they don't trade Rodgers and he doesn't retire, Green Bay is fine.

Of course, if they don't trade Rodgers he's probably just going to retire.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

They're not screwed at all. Worst case scenario: someone has to win the starting QB role. Open competition. Team and staff vote at end of camp and simple majority leads us into 2023.

I think some people are confused about the difference between "what Rodgers gets paid for playing this year" and "what the salary cap implications are for that."

Edited by PossibleCabbage

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yep and if a trade/opportunity opens up, he can come out of retirement for a trade anytime.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think some people are confused about the difference between "what Rodgers gets paid for playing this year" and "what the salary cap implications are for that."

So true

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I'm genuinely curious as to his understanding.   Doubtful he posts much about it.

My understanding of the contract: For 2023 he is getting 59.5ish (1.5m base 58m option bonus) million dollars in cash. The packers either exercise the option up to the day before they play their week 1 game (in this instance ~15million of the 58 million dollar option payment get credited to each cap year 23/24/25/26 so his cap number would be ~31millionfor 2023). However, if they exercise this option it enacts future guarantees in his contract that means that the dead cap hit next year for cutting/trading/retirement is ~70 million (meaning packers won't want to exercise this option). If they don't exercise the option to prorate the 58m(or trade him) because of the future guarantees that occur (larger future dead caps), they have to be able to carry that full 58 million dollars on this year's cap (packers don't want to do this either).

This leads me to really believe GB cannot play hardball with the league. The jets want Aaron before September as much as GB doesn't want to face the option cliff/decision so they'll meet in the middle.

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah really we will probably be odds on favorites to win the division if Rodgers returns.  In a weak NFC we would be a super bowl contender.   We're screwed!!!

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

This aint democracy. MLF chooses in consultation with his staff and players, and thats it.

Whilst the Packers don't want Rodgers on the team come September, their options post June 1 do increase to the point where they can tell the Jets to get lost. Now i'm not suggesting any of these happen, but some of the options are as follows:

Option 1. Packers could pay Rodgers to retire. Given it would be a post June 1 retirement and any money owed is split over 2023 and 2024, they could feasibly do a deal with Aaron to pay him 30m to rework his contract and retire. A move like that would mean dead cap hits of 31m this year and 40m next year which are both manageable.

Option 2. Packers could pay him to go play for another team other than the Jets (i.e. the 49ers). Depending on how the draft falls and what other teams look like with injuries, it could roll around to July and the Packers give his agent permission to talk to all teams and see what pops up. Again any money they pay him would be split over the 2023 and 2024 season.

Option 3. Packers could bring him back, resolve any issues and allow him a final season in Green Bay before he retires. This is the most unlikely option.

The question the Jets need to ask themselves is: Is pick 13 this year that valuable to them that they are willing to call the Packers bluff???