Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would the Niners trade Lance to a team with a franchise QB? Trade him to Atlanta, Washington, Tenn, Indy, etc...

Somebody is going to have to take him. Given the 49ers are going to want to ease some cap burden someplace in taking Rodgers, the relief could come in the form of us taking Lance who could serve as a backup for a year. 

There was no suggestion he would be competing with Jordan Love. I am not a fan of Lance personally. I think he's going to bust. 

11 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

If (they won't wait this long) GB has Aaron on their roster within days of the option date (your reference to September), GB starts talking about sending a 1 with Aaron in exchange for a 7th rounder just so they don't have to stomach the 60 million 1 year cap charge or deal with a 70 million dollar dead charge next year.

At some point the packers get another suitor involved. Maybe a guy gets hurt, maybe Irsay gets itchy. 

We'll see who blinks first. Right now the winds with the Packers. We got months to wait.

If theres one thing about Aaron its that Aaron loves Aaron, so if someone else comes along to dote on him and tell him how great he is, we'll see how much he likes the Jets.

Which QB do the jets use #13 on? Good chance the big dogs are gone.. Levis, Hooker?

Edited by HighCalebR

6 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

If (they won't wait this long) GB has Aaron on their roster within days of the option date (your reference to September), GB starts talking about sending a 1 with Aaron in exchange for a 7th rounder just so they don't have to stomach the 60 million 1 year cap charge or deal with a 70 million dollar dead charge next year.

Wrong...Jets fan.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Somebody is going to have to take him. Given the 49ers are going to want to ease some cap burden someplace in taking Rodgers, the relief could come in the form of us taking Lance who could serve as a backup for a year. 

There was no suggestion he would be competing with Jordan Love. I am not a fan of Lance personally. I think he's going to bust. 

There is no relief for the 49ers from trading Lance. 9m cap on the roster, 20m cap off the roster. 

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Wrong...Jets fan.

While that is a compelling counter argument, exercising the option or counting #12 for 60 million against this year's cap is untenable. GB has 171 days to avoid financial calamity by trading him or getting him to retire (I don't see the retirement angle on this). If the front office waits around hoping for another interested party, that is a huge risk to take if one never materializes...

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

🤣🤣🤣

you are out if your mind. But the name checks out.

You read what I typed, hit quote, then went in to the quote box to remove a lot of qualifiers to get to something to which you felt you could respond sarcastically.

Do you have a response to the post I made or just the one you carved out?

15 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

You read what I typed, hit quote, then went in to the quote box to remove a lot of qualifiers to get to something to which you felt you could respond sarcastically.

My statement applies *just as equally* to your whole message as it does to the part that I quoted. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I really dont think those are the two options. Youre telling me the Jets dont feel the playoffs are worth at LEAST 2nd? The shot at a super bowl isnt worth another 2nd?

Because as good as their roster is right now they dont have a chance without Rodgers.

It's crazy to me. Jets miss the playoffs every year and seem comfortable continuing to do so. 

Maybe they really like picking in the top ten most years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

There doesn't exist a qualifier that makes that sentence not stupid.

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Blows my mind the amount of Packer fans in this thread that agree with this sentiment. You can't just assume that Rodgers will retire if GB does not trade him. In fact, I would bet against him retiring. To recap, if Rodgers is on the Packers this season then he will cost $60M in cash payouts, and around $100M worth of cap charges over the next couple seasons. Taking two 3rd in order to get rid of his contract is 1000 times the better move then holding onto him out of “respect/pride”. NOT saying that the Jets will acquire him for two 3rds by the way, or that he’s only worth that. I believe he’s worth more and the Packers will definitely get more.

Blows my mind that you won't pony up what is needed for your missing piece to the Super Bowl roster.

Also, missing in this is your knowledge of our history with 3rd round draft picks.  I'd be more inclined to move him to you for pizza's in lieu of third round draft picks.

Then there is this...you think you understand the Rodgers contract.  But you really do not.  You do not know the financial situation of the Green Bay Packers.  But there is someone who has knowledge of both, Andrew Brandt.

Here is what he wrote...as someone who teaches cap management and leverage.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/20/aaron-rodgers-trade-packers-jets-leverage?fbclid=IwAR1K4Z-jHgJ3SlndStsvM6klVW6oJs2SkNOpEaRRscl0didxTADtG6RpE2Y

"I have not heard any realistic arguments about the Jets’ leverage. I’ve heard theories that Rodgers could show up to the Packers’ offseason workouts or even training camp. (Please.) Or that Rodgers could retire and Green Bay would get nothing. (The Packers would love for him to retire having played for only them, while also relieving them of $60 million he’d be due.) Or that he would sit on the roster all season so that the Packers would have to pay him. (Again, please.)"

"The problem with Rodgers’s contract, especially for the Jets, is that there is no decision point early in the offseason, no big roster bonus or anything like that. Thus the Packers can wait. I am not talking about waiting for months—this will be resolved long before it gets to the point of Rodgers’s showing up at Packers camp. If it were to get to that point, there is not enough blood pressure medication out there to sustain Jets fans."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

While that is a compelling counter argument, exercising the option or counting #12 for 60 million against this year's cap is untenable. GB has 171 days to avoid financial calamity by trading him or getting him to retire (I don't see the retirement angle on this). If the front office waits around hoping for another interested party, that is a huge risk to take if one never materializes...

Can't wait to visit the Jets forum if we trade Rodgers someplace else. The meltdown will look something like this. 

Donald Trump inauguration: Anti-Trump protester’s screaming performance ...

• Like 1

If you guys haven't already, I highly recommend listening to the first half of todays Locked on Packers.

He talks about why many of us are ready to move on from Aaron. And how we have a lot of conflicting/negative feelings about him. He talks about 

Replacing Brett

winning the SB

Having the defense let him down time and time again or being out gunned; and how we were defending him against everyone else

The frustration at Ted refusing to go after FAs

And then how things shifted to

His deteriorating/ toxic relationship with Mike

The sulking on the side lines

Murphy telling him to not be the problem

Sitting out OTAs

Him trying to oust the FO

Threatening retirement

The COVID/ conspiracy theories

Coming up short vs SF and Tampa

Signing the biggest deal for a QB with hopes that he'd stay long term

Reports that he wasn't fully bought in

We're not all going to agree on how these events went, and the point of this isn't to discuss them all. It's just that we been through a lot with this guy; and it went really really sour with a lot of very low lows.

After the last SF play-off loss, I was exhausted from football that lingered into this year. Between Aaron's drama and the constant let downs, I was emotionally exhausted. 

And that is probably a part of the reason why I'm comfortable rolling with Jordan ( I also have a strong belief in him, and will always care about our future over a player). It's been too much, and it has been exhausting.

I didn't do it justice, but the episode really hit on this journey we went on with this guy with all the strong feelings, good and bad.

• Like 1