2023 FA Targets

dll2000

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed on all points. To add to it though, Fields made an average (run blocking specifically) OL look WAY better than it really was due to his explosiveness.

I'm not saying to ignore OL but just that Fields creates major creases for him. Defenses saw him run for the 2nd most rushing yards of any QB in a season, and he really wasn't able to use his legs like that early on in the season. Monty is a fighter but isn't special IMO and to be honest I think Herbert is a solid rotational piece, but don't see him being a bellcow back either. Fields took a mid-level run game to an elite running group. A lot of that was with guys like Adding Barkley or Jacobs and just 1-2 upgrades on the OL (lets say McGlinchey and a 2-3rd round IOL, Whitehair either goes to C or stays at LG) then the OL is pretty well improved.

Remember we only had Mustipher and Jones play over 700 snaps on offense. Jenkins, Reiff, Borom, and Patrick all were under 600. Even just a normal level of health on the OL would mean drasric improvement, and I think moving Mustipher, Patrick and Borom to full time depth makes the OL's floor improved too.

OL is more important than RB, but with the cap space Chicago has they shouldn't have to compromise between the two. I don't believe Brown Jr or McGary reach FA, McGlinchey will get overpaid but won't have a crippling contract in any way, and IOL options don't look like they'll be ridiculous. There may be a Christian Kirk level overpay somewhere but Poles doesn't seem desperate enough to jump to that.

Regardless raising the floor of this team should be a damn easy task for the staff.

Yes he did.  It was amazing.

Actually for RB Bears OL wasn't that bad.

But also QBs are not accounted for by NFL defenses (most of time) in run game.   So by running QB you are out gapping the defense.

They have to take a player out of pass game in scheme to account for a running QB.

But still how many runs did he have over 25 yards?   A lot.  Those long runs do not happen in NFL again and again.  It was near Bo Jackson level explosiveness.   Few people saw that coming.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

RB = run blocking.  

It was pass blocking where they bit the big one.

Pass blocking was atrocious, no doubt. I just think the OL was average at run blocking and Fields made it MUCH more than that. They still produced in the two games without Fields but it was against the Jets and Vikings. They got about the Jets average in rush yards per game and just under the Vikes' average per game.

Interestingly enough the Vikes had the run games number in both games,

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'll parrot the same thing I've said for a while,  QB and RB contacts should be looked at as a group. 99% of the time the ball is in one of their hands. Rookie contracts QBs make signing a top 5 RB ridiculously easy AND they are worth it imo.  

Signing Dalvin Cook assuming he’s released (and it looks like he will be) to a 1-2 year guarantee would let us both upgrade at RB1 for 2023 and hopefully 2024 and also basically align for our expensive RB to leave once Fields (hopefully) gets expensive. If we go for a vet he’d be right at the top of my list. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Signing Dalvin Cook assuming he’s released (and it looks like he will be) to a 1-2 year guarantee would let us both upgrade at RB1 for 2023 and hopefully 2024 and also basically align for our expensive RB to leave once Fields (hopefully) gets expensive. If we go for a vet he’d be right at the top of my list. 

I'm so down for that. Didn't even know he was expected to be released. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm so down for that. Didn't even know he was expected to be released. 

He’s got a $14M cap hit and says he won’t take a pay cut, and the Vikings are currently $24M over the cap. A restructure may not make sense for the team for a 28-year old RB when they only save about the same number ($5.9M) as they would with a traditional cut ($6.3M).  A post-6/1 cut would save them $9M.

Cook seems a prime candidate for a big 1-2 year deal somewhere other than MIN with few if any guarantees after year 1. We could certainly give him that if he’s more interested in the money than chasing a ring. 

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If I am signing a high end RB my preference is Barkley over Cook.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

If I am signing a high end RB my preference is Barkley over Cook.

Oh mine too, at least on the field. I think there’s very little chance Barkley hits the market though, and the financial commitment to him in years and AAV would almost surely be significantly more which makes him a riskier signing from a reasonable prudence standpoint. 

• Like 1

I was pretty unenthusiastic about Davenport due to lack of availability year in and out, but with our money and need ...

I think I take a chance on him now.    I check out his shoulder and foot pretty carefully in physical though.

He makes some grown man plays on field.   I have seen clips of him just tossing OL out of way or to ground like Reggie White.

His stats weren't great last year, which could make his price more reasonable as well.  2021 he had bigger numbers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh mine too, at least on the field. I think there’s very little chance Barkley hits the market though, and the financial commitment to him in years and AAV would almost surely be significantly more which makes him a riskier signing from a reasonable prudence standpoint. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2023/02/21/saquon-barkley-expected-to-hit-free-agency/

Crazy.  No way I think of signing Barkley and Davenport or Barkley anyway before so many FA are extended or tagged - but with money we HAVE to spend and names I want falling off list or expected to fall off list.

I am reconsidering.   I don't want the 30+ year old guys looking to cash out on one last deal.   

They don't tend to try hardest or play through injuries.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Schoen said at the combine yesterday he’s “cautiously optimistic” he can keep both he and Jones. Barkley said after the season he wants to be in NY. I still think they work out an extension. “Expected to hit free agency” as the headline here reads to me like the author jumping to a conclusion here:

C5065558-0-A76-4268-8212-9-F83895-B075-F

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Lynch and Paton both in their recent interviews said that McGlinchey and Dre'Mont Jones will hit free agency... both I expect to be Bears targets.

If they do both hit FA I’ll be very surprised if we don’t land at least one of them. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Schoen said at the combine yesterday he’s “cautiously optimistic” he can keep both he and Jones. Barkley said after the season he wants to be in NY. I still think they work out an extension. “Expected to hit free agency” as the headline here reads to me like the author jumping to a conclusion here:

C5065558-0-A76-4268-8212-9-F83895-B075-F

I honestly believe they have told Saquon to go to the market, see what he can get, and they will match it.

Dont think he wants to leave NY, and they just have to deal with this Daniel Jones situation now.

• Like 1