2023 FA Targets

dll2000

On 2/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, Madmike90 said:

Was insanely overpaid by the Pats after doing not a lot but at 27 years old and as a nice compliment to Kmet who is a great fit for the "F" TE spot Smith could be an option unless someone else massively overpays...could be this years Evan Engram if used correctly.

I would rather sign N'K Harry to play TE.  A so-so receiver would make a better TE.  He knows how to block...

I also would take Allen Lazard over any rookie WR for the best interest of J-Fields...  😁

The more I think about trying to get back into the 1st round for JSN or to trade for Chris Godwin to give Fields that safety blanket in the slot the more I wonder if there is anyway we could get JuJu instead of him resigning in KC...maybe after he got his ring he might be thinking more about getting a longer term contract and he would be an ideal fit in that slot role.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I think about trying to get back into the 1st round for JSN or to trade for Chris Godwin to give Fields that safety blanket in the slot the more I wonder if there is anyway we could get JuJu instead of him resigning in KC...maybe after he got his ring he might be thinking more about getting a longer term contract and he would be an ideal fit in that slot role.

Then we could trade Mooney and a 3rd for Diontae Johnson and just have the 2021 Steelers WR corps 

19 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Another WR target I just can't get away from is Darius Slayton...have the size/speed/length combination I think we will also be looking for and while he has had inconsistencies during his career his best play came under WR coach Tyke Tolbert...

Important to remember we are not tied into Mooney or Claypool after this season...if we can get a WR or two who can contribute on 2 or 3 year contracts at a lower cost it would open up a lot of different options on what we do with those two guys...paying either as a #1 right now should not be an option. 

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

At this kind of cost?

We aren't going to be happy with many of the contracts that our free agent signings this year cost, but thats just the way it will be, unless they somehow spent all their money on contract extensions and scraped the bottom of the barrel in free agency.  I don't like him getting that money, but I think the value will be better than what we will get out of Woods at this stage in his career.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

We aren't going to be happy with many of the contracts that our free agent signings this year cost, but thats just the way it will be, unless they somehow spent all their money on contract extensions and scraped the bottom of the barrel in free agency.  I don't like him getting that money, but I think the value will be better than what we will get out of Woods at this stage in his career.  

I just think giving out a contract that size to a WR who isn't in that top 20 range would just be a terrible idea...give me Slayton for $8 million a year over Meyers at $16 million a year...I see no reason to pay him anything like that.

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I just think giving out a contract that size to a WR who isn't in that top 20 range would just be a terrible idea...give me Slayton for $8 million a year over Meyers at $16 million a year...I see no reason to pay him anything like that.

Maybe thats the case, and again, I dont' think he's worth that, but don't expect the Bears to be frugal this offseason while still also coming away with any impact free agents.  Free Agency will only be a frugal mans game when you are talking about depth pieces.  There will be contracts the Bears agree to that we and fans of other teams look at and say "oh man, that was a huge overpay" because it happens every free agency when teams have money to spend. 

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Maybe thats the case, and again, I dont' think he's worth that, but don't expect the Bears to be frugal this offseason while still also coming away with any impact free agents.  Free Agency will only be a frugal mans game when you are talking about depth pieces.  There will be contracts the Bears agree to that we and fans of other teams look at and say "oh man, that was a huge overpay" because it happens every free agency when teams have money to spend. 

Right. That’s the price you pay when you’re bad at drafting (or in Pace’s case, bad at drafting and lacking draft pick volume after trades). Everyone wants to build through the draft, but the more you miss there the more you can’t. A 1-2 year FA splurge would serve to raise the floor of the roster and make the preferred approach more feasible, but will come at a price many won’t like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I think there are some areas you overpay good talent at…WR isn’t one of them…you overpay great talent…Meyers is nothing more than average…I am of the opinion of you don’t want Lazard then wanting Meyers comes with the same reasoning.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think there are some areas you overpay good talent at…WR isn’t one of them…you overpay great talent…Meyers is nothing more than average…I am of the opinion of you don’t want Lazard then wanting Meyers comes with the same reasoning.

Always is said, until it happens and then people will complain about it for a while and then it will be forgotten about. The market is going to be what it's going to be. Case in point, if you told people a year ago that they would be paying up to $8-$9 for a dozen of eggs they would have laughed you out of the room. Yet here we are, making $10 egg salad sandwiches.

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Always is said, until it happens and then people will complain about it for a while and then it will be forgotten about. The market is going to be what it's going to be. Case in point, if you told people a year ago that they would be paying up to $8-$9 for a dozen of eggs they would have laughed you out of the room. Yet here we are, making $10 egg salad sandwiches.

The beauty is there are always other options…I would prefer to trade or even draft a couple of WRs instead of paying crazy money on a bang average WR.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The beauty is there are always other options…I would prefer to trade or even draft a couple of WRs instead of paying crazy money on a bang average WR.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I'm just saying prepare for the incoming overpay. I don't think we will see it with all the signings but it will happen with at least one or two players that we sign.