2023 FA Targets

dll2000

On 2/17/2023 at 2:01 PM, Sugashane said:

Poster elsewhere posted this link so I brought it here. I have seen PFF quoted as saying the Bears had a top passblocking OL but this gets refuted by a PFF guy around the 12 min mark, since that is WAY off without using context. It's a pretty good watch.

Former over the cap guy.   Bummer about that interview is he says he is pretty certain Payne is being tagged.  

It’s fine that PFF had Bears last in straight pass blocking grade. I think we could all see that.  But their run blocking wasn’t so awesome that they had people posting they were a good Oline.  

Plus they will say so and so had a good game or so and so had an awful game and a straight watching says it isn’t true.  They still have some either off metrics or off graders.  

• Like 1

The closer we are getting to the combine & FA the more I am thinking the key FA pick up for us could/should be Dre'Mont Jones...don't get me wrong I still love the idea of signing Payne and if that is the plan I am completely on board...but Jones just brings that added element of versatility as well as costing a lot less...say the plan is to trade down with the Colts to #4...sure there are a ton of different situations including Arizona moving back as well with a QB needy team but say Arizona stay at #3 and take Anderson...then Jones becomes a LE for us and we snag Carter at 3 tech...if Arizona take Carter than we as Jones to gain 15lbs and go back to being a 3T with Anderson (potentially Wilson) coming in a DE...

When you consider how many players we are going to have to sign in FA to get to even good at most positions let along great and the fact we could trade for a big time WR who would take up a lot of cap space targeting a guy like Jones might make more sense and be a bit more realistic.

• Like 1

If we can sign these players... we should have many options in the draft and have money left to sign other Bears.

WR Allen Lazard ($10M)

OT McGlinchy, Talyor, or McGary ($12M)

DT Hargrave, Payne, or D'M Jones ($15 - $20M)

LB Okereke ($8M)

Edited by JibjeResearch
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

If we can sign these players... we should have many options in the draft and have money left to sign other Bears.

WR Allen Lazard ($10M)

LB Okereke ($8M)

Welcome man...only one of these I would really question is Lazard at $10 million...would be a real over payment for what he is.

3 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

WR Allen Lazard ($10M)

LB Okereke ($8M)

Welcome and for WR switch out Lazard and add Jakobi Meyers and that's what I have the Bears going after in my mock.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Much more likely Payne hits FA than Powers IMO...

The case for Powers hitting FA is as you said they extended Mekari (not on a big deal but he is still there) & they have Ben Cleveland who was a 3rd round pick in 2021...the case against is Baltimore can save $11 million by releasing two of their older/injured OL in Stanley & Zeitler...Powers won't command as much as those two guys when it keeping him...DaCosta can save money and keep a young and at this point better OL...seems like an easy move to make.

The case against Payne hitting the market is they don't want to lose a really good player...the case for him hitting the market is he is going to cost a fortune to keep...they are already paying Jon Allen $21 million+ next season...they invested a 2nd round pick in Phidarian Mathis last offseason...and they have to pay Montez Sweat and potentially Chase Young next season...Sweat is probably making $20 million or more on his extension...if Young gets all the way back he would be the same...can't invest all that on the DL.

To be clear, I don’t think they extend Payne. But I think they tag him. They don’t have to extend Sweat yet (though they still can and probably should), and Young isn’t eligible yet. With what they will save against the cap for cutting Wentz, WSH would still be net +$8M in cap space after tagging Payne, and they can create another $9M more with a Jonathan Allen restructure. Those two moves would put them between $20-25M in cap space even after tagging Payne. If they extend Sweat this offseason his 2023 cap hit is probably going down, not up. 

As for Baltimore, even if they cut Zeitler and restructure Stanley (more of a savings than even a post-6/1 cut per OTC), with no other cap clearing moves they’d still be about $5M short of even covering Lamar’s franchise tag, and that’s before they add anywhere else on the roster or sign their draft picks. Unless Lamar gets extended in the next 3 weeks they’d be tying up basically all their free space in keeping a guard for whom they already have an in house home groomed replacement. Powers is a strong and ascending player but that sounds like a bad business decision. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The closer we are getting to the combine & FA the more I am thinking the key FA pick up for us could/should be Dre'Mont Jones...don't get me wrong I still love the idea of signing Payne and if that is the plan I am completely on board...but Jones just brings that added element of versatility as well as costing a lot less...say the plan is to trade down with the Colts to #4...sure there are a ton of different situations including Arizona moving back as well with a QB needy team but say Arizona stay at #3 and take Anderson...then Jones becomes a LE for us and we snag Carter at 3 tech...if Arizona take Carter than we as Jones to gain 15lbs and go back to being a 3T with Anderson (potentially Wilson) coming in a DE...

When you consider how many players we are going to have to sign in FA to get to even good at most positions let along great and the fact we could trade for a big time WR who would take up a lot of cap space targeting a guy like Jones might make more sense and be a bit more realistic.

Jones would be a really good get in his own right. 

4 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

WR Allen Lazard ($10M)

LB Okereke ($8M)

Welcome.

I like Lazard and he’s a solid complementary piece that would be a net gain for our room… but he’s only a complementary piece. We need to aim for someone who raises the ceiling more than that for our group IMO. 

I'm looking at a handful of guys to bulk up the lines

Dre'Mont Jones, Poona Ford, Hargrave, Zach Allen, A'Shawn Robinson  and Davenport are all on the short list for DL. I want two off this list. Clellin Ferrell may get the Arden Key jump if his switch flipped, he has the tools to take a chance on. I will throw in older guys like Graham, Cox, and Houston as 2 year deals too.

I don't believe Davenport is getting the $23 mil AAV Spotrac values him at (especially a 4-5 year deal), but with the Bears cap situation I think it could be a good gamble to do a 2 year, $30 mil deal or 1 year $20 mil (fully guaranteed) that can extend to a bigger deal if markers are met for sacks, snap count, etc.

For OL there is McGlinchey, Pocic, Bradburry, Nijman, Taylor, Isaac Seumalo, and Nate Davis.

McGlinchey and Taylor are likely the top OTs in FA and get paid big money, though neither really is someone you us as the cornerstone of the OL. Both significantly raise the floor of the RT spot though. Any of the other guys are able to step in at LG or C and make an improvement immediately (assuming Whitehair kicks inside if a G is signed). At least two OL need signed out of this list too.

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not if they have to use it on Danny Dimes

Very true, I just can't justify losing a top 5 RB for a guy that is a middling QB. I'd take a swing on Carr first or just trade up. Never been a fan of his and I don't think he has much going for him. Not investing $35 mil per year on a guy that is at his best going to be the 3rd best QB in the NFC East.

Daboll needs to aim higher.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I expect to see the same come out for McGary as well. Brown, McGary, Payne, Engram, Josh Jacobs, and Saquon all likely get tagged.

FWIW JAX has a lot of cap to clear just to get compliant, and they probably have to start preparing for a mega extension next offseason for Lawrence too by not already having the books super backlogged. They’re already on the hook for big money for Kirk ($23M), Ridley ($11.1M) and Jones ($10.5M) next year, and currently sit $32M over the cap. They can clear a bunch of space cutting Shaq Griffin and restructuring Robinson, Scherff and Oluokun, but are you doing all that to keep what’ll be, at best, your 3rd best receiving option next year? Especially in what’s expected to be a completely loaded TE draft class? My gut is telling me no. 

Wow

Started playing with https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/chicago-bears/

We can sign a lot of people.   Using all the spotrac market values.

I just lost my data accidently, but I signed Jawaan Taylor, Daron Payne, Pocic, Taylor Rapp, Gay, Okereke, Parris Campbell, a bunch of our usual cheap FAs.

I resigned Montgomery and extended Mooney.

I cut a bunch of old dudes too.  

I still had a bunch of money left I was playing with when I lost everything.

Also, lol, who are these guys?:

Jalyn Holmes    
Daurice Fountain  
Harrison Hand    
Terrell Lewis    
Adrian Colbert    
Greg Stroman    
DeMarquis Gates   
A.J. Thomas   
Kuony Deng   
Kellen Diesch    
Gerri Green