2023 FA Targets

dll2000

Watching this Jacksonville game I have been massively impressed with Jawaan Taylor going up against Bosa & Mack...Bosa is clearly really frustrated...Taylor's pass pro has held up even though the Jags have been in hurry up most of the time and been forced to be really unbalanced due to get down so big early...

No doubt he should be our #1 OL target this offseason all things considered.

The more I hear Poles speak about premium positions the more I think we have all maybe closed the door too early on Tremaine Edmunds as a potential FA target...now as we know off the ball LB isn't a primer position and isn't worth $20 million as season however we know that in this defensive scheme Flus values 3T, WLB & Nickelback...I am struggling to see who is playing WLB next season and having a real impact...draft a player like Daiyan Henley? is a lottery ticket and you are probably going to have to over draft him to make sure you get him...sign a TJ Edwards? He has played well but is limited in his size & length which we know are things values by both Poles & Flus...

Edmuands is only 24 years old...is 6-5" 253lbs with 34 1/2" arms...runs a 4.53 forty and has already played 5 years in the NFL...he isn't the most instinctive player but in a defence which is designed to free up your WILL to be a run and hit type of LB he is pretty much so built in a lab for it...if we can get him on the open market for say $10-$12 million a season he could be a great fit and fill a big need for years to come.

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I hear Poles speak about premium positions the more I think we have all maybe closed the door too early on Tremaine Edmunds as a potential FA target

You’re definitely not wrong to look at him as an option in Free Agency. But I think they may leave the WLB as that “final piece” of the defense

They have started to build the secondary, which I expect to continue, and feels like the DL will be a big focus this year (the way that Free Agency and the Draft are set up) 

While we probably try to find some under valued talent in the draft, I wouldn’t be shocked to see us wait till the 2024 offseason (or even ‘25 of the right guy isn’t available) to invest into that spot

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You’re definitely not wrong to look at him as an option in Free Agency. But I think they may leave the WLB as that “final piece” of the defense

They have started to build the secondary, which I expect to continue, and feels like the DL will be a big focus this year (the way that Free Agency and the Draft are set up) 

While we probably try to find some under valued talent in the draft, I wouldn’t be shocked to see us wait till the 2024 offseason (or even ‘25 of the right guy isn’t available) to invest into that spot

I'm not sure we can leave it as a final piece with the way this defence should work...I do completely agree that the DL has to come first and foremost but with all our resources this offseason I could see us making a run at him.

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I hear Poles speak about premium positions the more I think we have all maybe closed the door too early on Tremaine Edmunds as a potential FA target...now as we know off the ball LB isn't a primer position and isn't worth $20 million as season however we know that in this defensive scheme Flus values 3T, WLB & Nickelback...I am struggling to see who is playing WLB next season and having a real impact...draft a player like Daiyan Henley? is a lottery ticket and you are probably going to have to over draft him to make sure you get him...sign a TJ Edwards? He has played well but is limited in his size & length which we know are things values by both Poles & Flus...

Edmuands is only 24 years old...is 6-5" 253lbs with 34 1/2" arms...runs a 4.53 forty and has already played 5 years in the NFL...he isn't the most instinctive player but in a defence which is designed to free up your WILL to be a run and hit type of LB he is pretty much so built in a lab for it...if we can get him on the open market for say $10-$12 million a season he could be a great fit and fill a big need for years to come.

Does Edmunds have the ball production that we're looking for?  If you  an get Edmunds for $10-12M that's great, but I bet he ends up in the $16-17M range, are you willing to do that deal?

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Does Edmunds have the ball production that we're looking for?  If you  an get Edmunds for $10-12M that's great, but I bet he ends up in the $16-17M range, are you willing to do that deal?

I don't see him making that much as an off the ball LB...OTC is projecting him at just under $8.5 million a year...Spotrac at $11 million per season...in his 5 season Edmunds has 5 INT but with 35 PBUs...only 6.5 sacks which is low considering his skill set...interestingly enough for all the plaudits Fred Warner gets (and rightfully so) he has the exact same amount of PBUs & Sacks as Edmunds in his 5 years...1 less INT...Warner is more of a tackling machine but it shows there is some real talent there with Edmunds...Flus might be the guy to get it out of him.

Even if we went to the $15 million mark Jacksonville went for Oluokun it wouldn't be a massive deal if he can become a real playmaker at that WILL spot...I think it is that important in this scheme (Roquan just wasn't good at it).

14 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I really like Jauan Jennings. Weak free agent class for WR but I think he could have some untapped potential. Basically ESB with more upside and better hands. Sign him to be WR3 and hope a rookie can push him down to WR4. Assuming we don’t make a big move for someone like Higgins. 

I'm a big fan of Jennings...does a lot of dirty work at WR but still has talent...like you said a better ESB...will be interesting to see what they tag him at given he is a RFA.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If Edmunds goes for $11M, I'm all for it, maybe as much as $15M, but I'm not willing to break the bank for him.

I think I am the same with most young highly athletic FAs this year...I would be happy to add talent just about anywhere as long as they fit the profile and fall into the right value bracket...the good thing is it seems that is Poles' approach as well.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Even if we went to the $15 million mark Jacksonville went for Oluokun it wouldn't be a massive deal if he can become a real playmaker at that WILL spot...I think it is that important in this scheme (Roquan just wasn't good at it).

But what makes you feel like Edmunds would fit better at WILL than Smith? I think Smith was fine at WILL but the pathetic DL was not able to let him roam like he should have been. I've been a fan of Edmunds since pre-draft but the DL is going to be what raises the floor for any WILL imo. 

Say we trade with the Colts and get Buckner. We are able to get either Anderson or Carter and have no intention of moving back. Do you double down to try and get another top DL talent and roll with Morrow/Sanborn/FA at SAM or roll with a weaker DL like Justin Jones and Edmunds going to WILL? 

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

But what makes you feel like Edmunds would fit better at WILL than Smith? I think Smith was fine at WILL but the pathetic DL was not able to let him roam like he should have been. I've been a fan of Edmunds since pre-draft but the DL is going to be what raises the floor for any WILL imo. 

Say we trade with the Colts and get Buckner. We are able to get either Anderson or Carter and have no intention of moving back. Do you double down to try and get another top DL talent and roll with Morrow/Sanborn/FA at SAM or roll with a weaker DL like Justin Jones and Edmunds going to WILL? 

I think Edmunds is longer and probably at this stage of their careers faster and more explosive than Roquan...it wasn't reading the plays that Roquan seemed to have an issue with in this scheme it was just being late to the spot...I think Edmunds looks faster and we are seeing him play and be productive in Leslie Frazier's scheme which is similar to ours rather than coming from a 3-4 D...

I wouldn't value him over a top DL no but again in terms of cash we have over $160 million to spend this offseason...without any cuts we still have well over $100 million to spare against the cap...Flus' D is not going to work without talent at those key three spots...need to give him the horses.