2023 FA Targets

dll2000

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I have been coming around the idea of Drew Sanders with our 3rd round pick 

I see us signing LB Bobby Okereke from IND in FA, and after that (presuming Sanborn as another LB starter) I think LB moves well down our need list. Like Sanders quite a bit though. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

LT Andre Dillard from PHI is a UFA. Was a 1st round pick in 2019 who was behind Jason Peters his whole rookie year, lost his entire 2nd year to injury and then lost the LT job to Mailata in camp, who is awesome out of nowhere. I’m intrigued by Dillard as a vet player to push/back Braxton Jones for 2023. Cunningham will surely know if he can play or not. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m intrigued by Dillard as a vet player to push/back Braxton Jones for 2023.

The problem is, with the never ending need for Linemen in the NFL, especially potential LT’s, you’re not going to get him as the backup to your 2nd year project.

Someone will offer him the starting LT job, during free agency (might be a different situation post draft) but the mere fact that we would even want him to compete with a guy who’s already here and started for an entire season, is going to put this Situation very low on his list

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

LT Andre Dillard from PHI is a UFA. Was a 1st round pick in 2019 who was behind Jason Peters his whole rookie year, lost his entire 2nd year to injury and then lost the LT job to Mailata in camp, who is awesome out of nowhere. I’m intrigued by Dillard as a vet player to push/back Braxton Jones for 2023. Cunningham will surely know if he can play or not. 

I remember Philly fans saying he hasn’t looked that good.  They have been trying to hypothetically trade him since his second year.  

46 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The problem is, with the never ending need for Linemen in the NFL, especially potential LT’s, you’re not going to get him as the backup to your 2nd year project.

Someone will offer him the starting LT job, during free agency (might be a different situation post draft) but the mere fact that we would even want him to compete with a guy who’s already here and started for an entire season, is going to put this Situation very low on his list

I don’t think that that’s true. I think Dillard is looking at a competition anywhere he goes. Even with the dearth of established quality LTs, what has Dillard done to support getting handed a starting LT role anywhere other than getting drafted in the 1st round 4 years ago? Despite his draft status he’s only ever started in 4 seasons as an injury fill in.

I will concede that some places may offer him a more likely shot at winning that competition than us, but Jones is far from entrenched either and, like you said, he himself is a project player. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

This is always the fear I have about resigning Monty or going after anyone else in FA who is going to want a decent amount of money...the number just don't add up when compared to teams that win it all.

Also, other than Fournette (with a different team than that which drafted him) Harvin (a WR) and Michel (a notable bust), none of those guys is a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is always the fear I have about resigning Monty or going after anyone else in FA who is going to want a decent amount of money...the number just don't add up when compared to teams that win it all.

TBF if the Bears made it to the Super Bowl somehow next year it would probably be Fields or Herbert leading the team in rushing. So I mean it could fit right regardless of Monty or not. lol

41 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

TBF if the Bears made it to the Super Bowl somehow next year it would probably be Fields or Herbert leading the team in rushing. So I mean it could fit right regardless of Monty or not. lol

Without a clear, obvious path to a WR1 this offseason I’m of the mindset right now that we just need to add playmakers on offense for next year. I don’t care if that’s RB, TE or WR. Just add real, impactful talent.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Without a clear, obvious path to a WR1 this offseason I’m of the mindset right now that we just need to add playmakers on offense for next year. I don’t care if that’s RB, TE or WR. Just add real, impactful talent.

Right now I agree but my worry is someone at a really important position pops free after FA starts or when the draft is over with and we have taken away that flexibility to go get them...I am still all for resigning Monty but on no more than a 2 years deal because we just can't commit to a RB long term if we want to be competitive year in year out.

A few free agent receiver types I wouldn't mind looking into this off-season: (ages are for the upcoming season)

TEN WR Nick Westbrook-Ikhine  (6' 2", 27 years old)

NO WR/TE Juwan Johnson (6' 4", 28 years old)

PIT WR Miles Boykin (6' 4", 28 years old, born in Tinley Park)

DET WR DJ Chark (6'4", 28 years old)

NO WR Marquez Callaway (6' 2", 26 years old)

NYG WR Darius Slayton (6' 1", 27 years old)

TB WR Scotty Miller (5' 9", 26 years old, born in Barrington)

LAC WR Jalen Guyton (6' 1", 26 years old)

DET TE Brock Wright (ERFA) (6'5", 25 years old)

LAC TE Donald Parham (RFA) (6' 8", 26 years old)

LV TE Foster Moreau (6' 4", 26 years old)

HOU TE Jordan Akins (6' 4", 31 years old)

A long-ish list, but I'm hopeful we can add a couple of these options before the draft. 

If we decide not to give Montgomery a contract, some of the less premium running backs I would be looking into include:

Jamaal Williams, though I'll be surprised if he leaves Detroit

Samaje Perine

Jeff Wilson

Justin Jackson

Marlon Mack

Alexander Mattison

Travis Homer

Myles Gaskin

James Robinson

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree. I just said elsewhere that I would be down for giving Thomas a highly incentive laden contract. Want to be paid like a top 10 WR? Perform like one and you will. If not you get paid like a solid #2 at worst or somewhere in between.

I still think the best realistic move might be to go after Gesicki. He gets to be the move end, Kmet gets to block and be a top #2 option at TE, and the personnel match ups can be damn tough. They're too fast for a base defense (Mooney, Claypool, Gesicki, Kmet as the 4 eligible receivers) or they are too big for most nickel defenses to handle. You can move them around for a lot of alignments and vs almost any defense you should have an advantage in the run or pass game.

Throw Fields a pass play every call, let him make a read (or better yet get the play in fast AF and let Getsy help like McVay did for Goff) and then he can audible to runs either way as needed.