2023 FA Targets

dll2000

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya but will they be able to keep both him and Brown? Both guys will be looking for a pay day.

Chiefs have more invested in Brown considering what they gave up to acquire him

But what is the end goal of any significant trade? That said trade helps you win a super bowl. He’s fulfilled his end of the bargain 

Just read a list of 50 predicted Free Agency signings. In that list the Bears fingers were very prevalent. I like this list alot. Anyone else?

1 Jameal Dean CB

2 Daron Payne DT

3 Mike McGlinchey RT

4 Dalton Risner OG

5 Bobby Okereke LB

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, RTD said:

You think they let Brown walk and sign Wiley? They could replace Wiley with the 31th pick or a R2 pick. And not miss a step. 

I don’t know.  They have some tough decisions to make.

I do think they like Wiley and want to keep him as their RT.  Stats don’t tell whole story of a player.  

Isaiah Wynn could be an interesting FA target...LT experience in NE so could provide some depth and a backup if Braxton goes down but has more of the frame for a LG in this scheme...his injury history is a worry but he could be worth a 1 year flier to see if a change of scenery can get him back on track...his pass pro would be a big upgrade over what we have just now on the inside...

Was also interested to read Nate Davis has improved a lot in pass pro this season allowing just 3 sacks all season...he has always been a quality run blocker with the movement skills to get to the 2nd level in zone...again he is maybe not the OT like of interior player Getsy has had in GB but he is another guy with plus 33" arms so could be a fit. 

Are we talking enough about how LG Ben Powers would seemingly be a great fit for us?

5479-D58-A-99-DF-4-B1-F-BD2-D-9-DB7065-E
I don’t know a ton about Powers but my assumption is that coming from Baltimore he can run block too. When KC revamped their OL with Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith in the draft in 2021 they also signed the best guard in FA in Joe Thuney and added Orlando Brown via trade before the draft... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Are we talking enough about how LG Ben Powers would seemingly be a great fit for us?

5479-D58-A-99-DF-4-B1-F-BD2-D-9-DB7065-E
I don’t know a ton about Powers but my assumption is that coming from Baltimore he can run block too. When KC revamped their OL with Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith in the draft in 2021 they also signed the best guard in FA in Joe Thuney and added Orlando Brown via trade before the draft... 🤷‍♂️

Powers has been great this last season…only reason I don’t have him on our radar is Eric DaCosta is one of the best GMs in football and I see no way he gets out of Baltimore.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Powers has been great this last season…only reason I don’t have him on our radar is Eric DaCosta is one of the best GMs in football and I see no way he gets out of Baltimore.

Fair enough, though Payne isn’t likely to be allowed to leave WSH either and we talk about him all the time lol.

Also, being a great GM also means having the right cost cap on what you’d pay players to stick around too. DeCosta let Matt Judon leave via FA 2 years ago as a 28-year old edge rusher coming off back-to-back pro bowl seasons. Plus, as of now BAL has $26M in cap space, and unless there’s a huge and unforeseen breakthrough in Lamar Jackson’s negotiations he’s about to be about a $45M hit against their cap (if he gets the exclusive franchise tag everyone expects). I’m sure DeCosta would like to keep Powers, but fitting him in there somewhere may just not be reasonably feasible, especially against an inflated year 1 cap number. Powers would be doing himself an extreme disservice coming off the season he just had not to test the market even if he ultimately takes whatever offers he gets back to BAL to see if they can match. BAL just extended Patrick Mekari ahead of FA last year. My guess is they’ll slide him into Powers’ place unless they draft a replacement instead.

Obviously all of that changes if they reach an extension with LJax. I just don’t see that happening in the next 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fair enough, though Payne isn’t likely to be allowed to leave WSH either and we talk about him all the time lol.

Also, being a great GM also means having the right cost cap on what you’d pay players to stick around too. DeCosta let Matt Judon leave via FA 2 years ago as a 28-year old edge rusher coming off back-to-back pro bowl seasons. Plus, as of now BAL has $26M in cap space, and unless there’s a huge and unforeseen breakthrough in Lamar Jackson’s negotiations he’s about to be about a $45M hit against their cap (if he gets the exclusive franchise tag everyone expects). I’m sure DeCosta would like to keep Powers, but fitting him in there somewhere may just not be reasonably feasible, especially against an inflated year 1 cap number. Powers would be doing himself an extreme disservice coming off the season he just had not to test the market even if he ultimately takes whatever offers he gets back to BAL to see if they can match. BAL just extended Patrick Mekari ahead of FA last year. My guess is they’ll slide him into Powers’ place unless they draft a replacement instead.

Obviously all of that changes if they reach an extension with LJax. I just don’t see that happening in the next 4 weeks. 

Much more likely Payne hits FA than Powers IMO...

The case for Powers hitting FA is as you said they extended Mekari (not on a big deal but he is still there) & they have Ben Cleveland who was a 3rd round pick in 2021...the case against is Baltimore can save $11 million by releasing two of their older/injured OL in Stanley & Zeitler...Powers won't command as much as those two guys when it keeping him...DaCosta can save money and keep a young and at this point better OL...seems like an easy move to make.

The case against Payne hitting the market is they don't want to lose a really good player...the case for him hitting the market is he is going to cost a fortune to keep...they are already paying Jon Allen $21 million+ next season...they invested a 2nd round pick in Phidarian Mathis last offseason...and they have to pay Montez Sweat and potentially Chase Young next season...Sweat is probably making $20 million or more on his extension...if Young gets all the way back he would be the same...can't invest all that on the DL.