2023 FA Targets

dll2000

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

He tore it in mid-November of 2021, he is still only like 15 months removed from it happening.

Im not expecting him to be like 2018-19 levels, but he is still going to be a darn reliable target, and that would be WAY more valuable to us (Justin Fields) than some big playmaker right now. 

Im sure Titan's fans were disappointed, but do we really trust their evaluations of what a good WR is? They gave away AJ Brown for goodness sakes

I don't think they were happy about that one. 

Not sure I'd be as enthusiastic about Woods as you guys are.  He's a 31 year old receiver who had an ACL injury recently and hasn't played well since.  At best you get a year out of him, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get the similar play out of another FA or 3rd/4th round pick.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Not sure I'd be as enthusiastic about Woods as you guys are.  He's a 31 year old receiver who had an ACL injury recently and hasn't played well since.  At best you get a year out of him, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get the similar play out of another FA or 3rd/4th round pick.  

Again, Woods is just 15 months removed from the ACL injury, pretending that his 2022 performance is what he is now is a mistake in my mind. Its his route running and veteran savvy to be a reliable underneath/over the middle target. He was never reliant on speed or explosion to be effective.

Have you seen the WR Free Agent class? And you really think a 3rd/4th round Rookie is giving you what a proven veteran option is giving you?

I want him because he would easily be the the best Veteran 3rd option to compliment what we already have (Moony/Claypool/Kmet) to do the dirty work while we see what those other's have as Top Weapons. Would he want to be that here? I dont know, but short term we could definitely pay him the most to do that

Basing his future impact on what he was doing less than 10 months off of ACL injury and with Malik Willis as he started to round back into shape... seems faulty

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They are all pretty happy he is gone.  I asked what issue was.  Above is what one guy said.  

The QBs played into his output last year alot. Saying the Titans QB situation is bad is being nice. Their starter had a meltdown 2 years ago to give away their playoff game. Last year he got hurt half way through the season and the QB they drafted was so bad they signed and used a street FA at QB for the winner take all last game of the season last year. Woods is a good route runner with great hands.He is not a number1 WR but a good WR2 and a good addition.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Have you seen the WR Free Agent class? And you really think a 3rd/4th round Rookie is giving you what a proven veteran option is giving you?

Yes, I do think a free agent or the right rookie could do better than 500 yds and 2 TDs, which is what he did last year, and I don't think he will significantly eclipse for the rest of his career.

45 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Yes, I do think a free agent or the right rookie could do better than 500 yds and 2 TDs, which is what he did last year, and I don't think he will significantly eclipse for the rest of his career.

He would’ve been a good signing last offseason. This one idk how much he could figure in unless we utterly ignore the position otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

He would’ve been a good signing last offseason. This one idk how much he could figure in unless we utterly ignore the position otherwise. 

My wants at WR are to add an established WR1, but there aren’t any obviously available unless they’re already on the back 9, so my expectations are that we sign a capable stop gap vet and draft a high upside rookie. Woods is a good fit for that for me because I think you should be able to rely on him to give you a solid possession receiver. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

You're assumptions of what Woods will be for the next few years are pretty low to me, but lets just say thats the threshold we are taking about; 500 yards and 2 TDs

2022: 7 rookie receivers eclipsed that bar, 4 of them are 1st rounders, and the other three were Top 55 Picks. So no one close to a 3rd/4th rounder

2021: Again 7 rookies (one of them a TE) had 500+ yards, 5 of them were First Rounders, Elijah Moore was Pick 34, and the only one who falls into the 3/4 rounder is Amon-Ra St. Brown,

2020: A whopping 10 rookies surpassed the bar, and we currently have 2 of them on this roster already (Mooney & Claypool). Of those 10, only 2 were picked outside of the Top 50, Gabe Davis (4th) and Darnell Mooney (5th)

So youre looking at like 1 per draft in recent years? Thats something youre going to bank on finding over a reliable Robert Woods? And as a guy who was averaging like 90 catches and 1000+ yards the 3 years prior to the injury, Doesnt seem crazy to think now that he is healthy he could give you like 40-50 yards per game? That right there is 700-800+ yards on a 17 game season

If you use that threshold (700 yards) there are only 15 rookies in total to breach that, with ARSB being the only one outside the first 2 rounds, with only like 1 or 2 more being outside the Top 40 picks

And again, you need to re-evaluate the WR free agent class, Woods was slotted into the Top 3-5 available by just about everyone.

21 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Woods may not be as explosive as he used to be but he’d be a reliable chain mover in the slot for us which is something that’s a need for us, not a want. Pair him on a 1-year deal that’s fully guaranteed with a high upside rookie and let’s roll.

Mooney, Claypool, Woods, Rookie (love Cedric Tillman after R1 here), Velus & either ESB or another rookie. Upgrade the OL. Would love a Gesicki add with this group here too. 

My guy. I think his ceiling is higher than that though. I think his ceiling is healthy Michael Thomas. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My guy. I think his ceiling is higher than that though. I think his ceiling is healthy Michael Thomas. 

I’m also a huge fan of Tillman…truth be told I am hoping he doesn’t blow up the combine and take himself out of range…ideally with him being an older prospect he finds himself to the end of the 2nd start of the 3rd.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I’m also a huge fan of Tillman…truth be told I am hoping he doesn’t blow up the combine and take himself out of range…ideally with him being an older prospect he finds himself to the end of the 2nd start of the 3rd.

I was going to say, If we want to grab him, we should hope he does well at the Combine, but doesnt explode, because he can climb pretty high for some bad Front Offices based on Combine numbers alone

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really like him as well. I think I'm on record stating that I like him better than Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, I think Hyatt has the possibility to be good but I also think he has a much higher potential to bust.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You're assumptions of what Woods will be for the next few years are pretty low to me, but lets just say thats the threshold we are taking about; 500 yards and 2 TDs

2022: 7 rookie receivers eclipsed that bar, 4 of them are 1st rounders, and the other three were Top 55 Picks. So no one close to a 3rd/4th rounder

2021: Again 7 rookies (one of them a TE) had 500+ yards, 5 of them were First Rounders, Elijah Moore was Pick 34, and the only one who falls into the 3/4 rounder is Amon-Ra St. Brown,

2020: A whopping 10 rookies surpassed the bar, and we currently have 2 of them on this roster already (Mooney & Claypool). Of those 10, only 2 were picked outside of the Top 50, Gabe Davis (4th) and Darnell Mooney (5th)

So youre looking at like 1 per draft in recent years? Thats something youre going to bank on finding over a reliable Robert Woods? And as a guy who was averaging like 90 catches and 1000+ yards the 3 years prior to the injury, Doesnt seem crazy to think now that he is healthy he could give you like 40-50 yards per game? That right there is 700-800+ yards on a 17 game season

If you use that threshold (700 yards) there are only 15 rookies in total to breach that, with ARSB being the only one outside the first 2 rounds, with only like 1 or 2 more being outside the Top 40 picks

And again, you need to re-evaluate the WR free agent class, Woods was slotted into the Top 3-5 available by just about everyone.

Lol. I just realized the only person on the Bears who caught for 500+ yards and at least 2 TDs was Kmet last year. That sucks something  fierce.

The reason I like Woods is his polish as a WR. He isn't some crazy burner, he just runs really good routes and has great hands. I'd be happy to have him as a top 3 here if he can help mentor Mooney/Claypool/Velus on how to be a true 1. All three are significantly more athletically gifted, but none are near the complete WR Woods has been.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I really like him as well. I think I'm on record stating that I like him better than Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, I think Hyatt has the possibility to be good but I also think he has a much higher potential to bust.

Agreed. I just think Tillman has more tools overall, and obviously more size. He has documented production in the SEC as his team’s WR1. He wins down the field and underneath. He wins on contested balls. He’s really physical after the catch. He’ll play hurt and still be effective (highly underrated IMO). And while there’s always room for growth, I can’t find anything he does poorly either which I think makes him a likely early contributor in some capacity and a player with a reasonably high floor. 

• Like 1

Was insanely overpaid by the Pats after doing not a lot but at 27 years old and as a nice compliment to Kmet who is a great fit for the "F" TE spot Smith could be an option unless someone else massively overpays...could be this years Evan Engram if used correctly.

• Like 1