2023 FA Targets

dll2000

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah it was nice while it lasted but as I said a few days ago maybe Jones is the better (more realistic) target who fills a more versatile need…Payne would have been a beast though.

He may well still be a target next offseason if WSH just franchises him. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Payne has probably always been a dream. At least this year. 

Ive been riding that Dre'Mont Jones Train for a while now, I honestly think he is an even better fit with this defense than Payne would have been. I also think there is still some untapped upside in Jones, that this scheme could highlight and truly unlock a terror on the DL,

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Payne has probably always been a dream. At least this year. 

If Wentz didn't poop the bed last year WA wouldn't be able to afford him this year even on tag and he would be ours.

Funny how things work out.   By going with Sam Howell and dumping Wentz they have some money again.

But they are going with Sam Howell or so they say.  That is an interesting decision if true.  Don't know much about him.  

Probably next year they still need to make a call on all that DL talent.  I don't think they can pay all of them even without paying a QB.

Who knows maybe Payne lays down and we dodged a bullet.   Does suck I spent about 3 months mentally penciling him onto Bears DL for 2023.

Earlier this month I realized he probably wasn't coming.   Trying to rely on FA does suck.  All draft trade ups and Mack trade under Pace hurt us there.   You almost never get 25 year old players ascending.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This would be an interest vet to go after at the right price…Woods is clearly a great fit in the scheme and offers a ton of experience.

Honestly, of anyone that might be considered a reasonable cut, Robert Woods is the one I would want over just about anyone else

Although Im not sure that he would come here, feels like he is more likely to find a contending team (would make alot of sense for KC) But he would be the perfect reliable Vet to put along with Mooney and Claypool

I do wonder if we might want to kick the tires on Taylor Lewan, especially if the OT market dries up. Might be a 1 year deal guy to try to show he's healthy again.

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I do wonder if we might want to kick the tires on Taylor Lewan, especially if the OT market dries up. Might be a 1 year deal guy to try to show he's healthy again.

Lewan is apparently pondering retirement. Gotta wonder if his heart is still in it if he doesn't and you bring him in.

15 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Lewan is apparently pondering retirement. Gotta wonder if his heart is still in it if he doesn't and you bring him in.

I saw him say that on his show, it felt more like he is sick of rehabbing major injuries. Which I can imagine takes a toll after the series of injuries that he has had.

Which is why I mentioned one year. If he does that, either he proves hes got some more in the tank, and get one last multi year contract, or he doesnt have it/gets injures and hes done.

If he signs with someone, I think his heart is in it. Because he doent have to since he has a good revenue stream with Bussin

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly, of anyone that might be considered a reasonable cut, Robert Woods is the one I would want over just about anyone else

Although Im not sure that he would come here, feels like he is more likely to find a contending team (would make alot of sense for KC) But he would be the perfect reliable Vet to put along with Mooney and Claypool

I agree wholeheartedly. Woods may not be as explosive as he used to be but he’d be a reliable chain mover in the slot for us which is something that’s a need for us, not a want. Pair him on a 1-year deal that’s fully guaranteed with a high upside rookie and let’s roll.

Mooney, Claypool, Woods, Rookie (love Cedric Tillman after R1 here), Velus & either ESB or another rookie. Upgrade the OL. Would love a Gesicki add with this group here too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They are all pretty happy he is gone.  I asked what issue was.  Above is what one guy said.  

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Hard to say. He was less than a year removed from a torn ACL last season. He could be better this coming season as he'd be closer to fully healthy.

I think it is a combination of the above quote from @seminoles1 and the fact that they had poor QB play as well. Kinda of the opposite situation we dealt with here with Fields throwing to Mo, Larry, and Curly.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He may well still be a target next offseason if WSH just franchises him. 

that's the thing - the reason people thought he might not get the tag this year is because of all the 1st round picks they have on their line. Allen got his extension, but Sweat is playing on his 5th year this year and Young will be eligible for an extension after this year too. One of those guys is likely to be free next year (sweat or payne) 

41 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Hard to say. He was less than a year removed from a torn ACL last season. He could be better this coming season as he'd be closer to fully healthy.

He tore it in mid-November of 2021, he is still only like 15 months removed from it happening.

Im not expecting him to be like 2018-19 levels, but he is still going to be a darn reliable target, and that would be WAY more valuable to us (Justin Fields) than some big playmaker right now. 

Im sure Titan's fans were disappointed, but do we really trust their evaluations of what a good WR is? They gave away AJ Brown for goodness sakes

57 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Twitter is much more brutal.

Twitter Titans say he is cooked.  

It wouldn’t be like the fan base of an ex-player to bash him on twitter or anything 😉😂

The thing with Woods for me is he can come in a be a reliable presence both on the field and in what should be a really young receiver room (unless we make a massive splash trade) but he also isn’t going to prevent you from take a receiver early in the draft if you fall in love with one…he for me is a healthier and far cheaper Keenan Allen type of signing…in what is a terrible WR free agent class he is a solid player for the next few years…that said I do wonder if he will go ring hunting instead of coming to a team like ours.