Week 16 Thread: (7-6-1) Commanders vs (10-4) 49ers - 4:05 PM CBS

MikeT14

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The problem was that Rivera put Heinicke on notice. If Heinicke had his career moment, he would have stayed. He made some really bad plays in the 2nd half. He had some nice throws, but two turnovers did him in. 

Hopefully Wentz learned from watching Heinicke run the offense. I have a strong feeling that having a decent run game will make a big difference. 

I mean, what is Heinicke supposed to do about Leno and Lucas getting abused? The interception was bad but by that time the game was over. Rivera put the team in a major hole going for it on our 34. 

What more do people need to see with Wentz? He’s not magically going to turn into 2017 Wentz. That guy is gone. He is not worth committing the money he’s owed next year and we’ve already seen what he is. They should just go to Howell. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, what is Heinicke supposed to do about Leno and Lucas getting abused? The interception was bad but by that time the game was over. Rivera put the team in a major hole going for it on our 34. 

What more do people need to see with Wentz? He’s not magically going to turn into 2017 Wentz. That guy is gone. He is not worth committing the money he’s owed next year and we’ve already seen what he is. They should just go to Howell. 

I’m not a Wentz believer bc I don’t think over the course of a game or a season we’ll see the consistency out of Wentz that we need to see where he’ll be a QB who can elevate this team to be a Super Bowl contender but, if he’s starting next week & for the rest of this season I’m going to support him & hope he does well just like I hoped Heinicke did well every week.

It remains to be seen man. Wentz has the talent & the arm to take this team where it needs to go, he just has to make quicker decisions with the ball & be more accurate. I know it’s a tall task bc he’s not done that since 2017-2018 but we’ll see.

We saw some of that flash in September but not consistently. Hopefully over the last two weeks if Wentz remains the starter, he’s consistent & plays well. I’d love to see it. I’d love for him to be the answer. I don’t believe he will be, but I’d love for it to happen.

There’s no reason for going to Howell when we’re in the playoff hunt and our two veterans are healthy. 

Howell will get his chance in the off-season to beat out whoever the other veterans are on the team he has to compete with. I hope that Howell beats whoever our vets are at QB next off-season bc I want him to be the long term answer too.

Edited by turtle28

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They can’t allow Rivera to bring Wentz back next year. I honestly didn’t think Heinicke was bad and have no clue why he benched him but I’m guessing he was going to do it regardless. I would assume this season is all but over now with him putting Wentz back in. 

Who’s they? We don’t even know who “they” is. 

Snyder is selling the team. We likely won’t have a new owner until after free agency & the draft next year most likely which is actually scary for our offseason given that Payne is a free agent & other key pieces like Holcomb etc.

Rivera has full control & definitely will next spring. The question is, will he have the ability to franchise or sign Payne to a long term deal? Will he be able to sign other free agents?

It’s likely he won’t have the authority to do that. We could be looking at an off-season where we lose Payne & Holcomb bc we don’t have an owner to approve their contracts.

We may actually be stuck with Wentz as our starter or our best option as the vet w/Howell competing with him to be the starter as well.

Like I’d like to see them cut Wentz & sign Jimmy G while having Howell develop behind Jimmy G as the back up but I don’t think they’re going to have an owner in place in March to sign Jimmy G as free agent.

Our team could look very similar minus Payne & Holcomb as to what it looks like this year bc of the ownership situation.

53 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I thought Chase Young played well today in limited snaps. He looked comfortable out there. He played well within the system. I know I saw him on at least one tackle and a pass defense at the line. I thought that was a good season debut.

He actually played 30 snaps. Twice as many as I thought he would. He was pretty active and moved Well. Rivera said that Chase asked to stay in and play more in thr 4th quarter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

LOL. No. He wasn't. And here's a snippet of why he wasn't. He was a glory hound last year and as a result was playing undisciplined football. Our D line play got better overall when he got injured.

As for when we played San Fran (NOT in 2017 BTW), he didn't really terrorize the 49ers as much as I saw Bosa do us. He had a GREAT game, for sure. But nowhere near the "generational talent" level I was expecting.

I’ve seen that Bs segment. They cherry picked a few plays in a few games and zeroed in on Chase. It’s a very small sample size of plays last year where Chase wasn’t giving 100% on those plays.

I’ve posted a dozen times the clips of Chase’s highlights from last year & he was very close to having around 10 sacks. He was very active, got a lot of pressure but our secondary was awful the first half of 2021, it was an easy pitch and catch for opposing receivers & our DL didn’t have time to get home.

To not acknowledge that means the dozen times I posted that video you chose not to watch it. On top of that Chase had 2 sacks taken away from him on bogus roughing the passer calls that went against him vs the Giants & Falcons.

Edited by turtle28

10 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

I put the blame on Ron Rivera this game. And the OL going to need to be dramatically improved. 

Gotta draft a OG/OT type in round 1 & a C in round 2 or w/ our 3rd round comp pick from losing Scherff in FA.

If Rivera is back & I have to imagine he will be bc I don’t see us having a new owner by February, Leno is going to be our starting LT w/ Norwell at LG. 

It remains to be seen if Roullier will be retained to try to stay healthy at C again or if they’ll move on there.

Cosmi will be either our starting RG or RT. So, we’re at most looking at two starting OL next year & maybe just 1, whichever position Cosmi doesn’t ply on the right side.

Back ups returning are going to be Shaadiq Charles as a back up G/T, Lucas as the 3rd OT & maybe Rivera brings back Turner to be a back up. 

I think it will play out that our rookie first rounder will be our starting RT or RGdepending who we draft. Then, Cosmi will start at RG or RT.

Possible 2022 C’s OL:

LT: Leno, Lucas

LG: Nowell, Charles

C : Roullier, Olusegun Oluwatimi (3rd rnd Michigan)

RG: Cosmi, Trai Turner 

RT: Broderick Jones, OT Georgia (R1)

Just finished watching it on DVR. My thoughts without reading anything here.

Chase Young played and looked decent. So the only reason I knew about the game being on today was the promo with Big 100.3 while I was driving around town, trying to find pie crust. Oh, incidentally, my boss's daughter's boyfriend works the butcher shop at Wegmans and hooked me up with boneless prime rib for $7.99 a pound. Anyway, while galavanting all over the place, Rivera did an interview with Don Geronimo. At first I was like, weird, why is Don working on a Saturday. Oh, the game is TODAY!?!? But then Ron talked about Chase Young and how he had surgery on his ACL and petella. Never heard the bit about his patella, but it would explain the longer recovery time. Anyway, Young looked fine.

The defense bit on every misdirection play where McCaffery didnt get the ball. QB, RB sweep, screen pass ... didnt matter. They bit on it.

Robinson got stuffed. Big time. Whole running game got stucced by a great defense. 

The offensive line is so bad right now, you can't evaluate either QB. At least not totally.

Heinicke hasnt looked good for weeks. He's a good backup. He will be a great veteran presence in the locker room for years. I understand that he had the lockerroom. But the dude is just not good at throwing the ball and reading the play. Too many balls are behind recievers or underthrown. This team has too much talent at reciever for this to be happening.

The deep ball to McLaurin is a perfect example. McLaurin beat his guys by two steps and had to pull up to find a ball that was to high, too slow, and too short. He made a great play, but thats a pass that a good NFL QB arm hits him on and ends up in the end zone.

The pre-snap reads and throws are just better with Wentz. The 49ers saq him come in and started blitzing like crazy. And its pretty easy to understand why. If Wentz has time, he can make deep throws. 49ers knew that, adjusted their defense, and Wentz had to take his dump offs. And he did pretty well, for the most part.

I dont think Wentz gets this team to the playoffs. Not with this offensive line. But I know that Heinicke can't. And I'd like to see what Wentz can do with this set of skill players. Remember, he hasnt played with this set yet. I think the team is better off playing Wentz, particularly if Turner can't adjust the playbook to suit Heinicke's abilities.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Gotta draft a OG/OT type in round 1 & a C in round 2 or w/ our 3rd round comp pick from losing Scherff in FA.

If Rivera is back & I have to imagine he will be bc I don’t see us having a new owner by February, Leno is going to be our starting LT w/ Norwell at LG. 

It remains to be seen if Roullier will be retained to try to stay healthy at C again or if they’ll move on there.

Cosmi will be either our starting RG or RT. So, we’re at most looking at two starting OL next year & maybe just 1, whichever position Cosmi doesn’t ply on the right side.

Back ups returning are going to be Shaadiq Charles as a back up G/T, Lucas as the 3rd OT & maybe Rivera brings back Turner to be a back up. 

I think it will play out that our rookie first rounder will be our starting RT or RGdepending who we draft. Then, Cosmi will start at RG or RT.

Possible 2022 C’s OL:

LT: Leno, Lucas

LG: Nowell, Charles

C : Roullier, Olusegun Oluwatimi (3rd rnd Michigan)

RG: Cosmi, Trai Turner 

RT: Broderick Jones, OT Georgia (R1)

Alternatively, we could spend a boatload of money on Orlando Brown, Ethan Pocic, and/or Nate Davis

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Alternatively, we could spend a boatload of money on Orlando Brown, Ethan Pocic, and/or Nate Davis

Can we though and will we have the cap space?

The ownership sale likely wont be final by March. I’m not sure we’re really going to be big players in free agency.