Elgton Jenkins Gets Paid (4 years, $68M)

Striker

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Then they should have let him walk and taken the 3rd round comp because somebody would have paid him a lot more than that thinking he was a LT. We always find good interior offensive lineman and I am 100% opposed to paying top money to non-premium positions. 

Have you seen the guys behind him?  He's versatile and has show he's capable of being an elite guard. Letting a top 5 player at his position leave is what bad teams do.

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Have you seen the guys behind him?  He's versatile and has show he's capable of being an elite guard. Letting a top 5 player at his position leave is what bad teams do.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand @Old Guy's POV.  There's a train of train of thought that you don't pay premium money to non-premium positions.  I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, but I at least understand where he's coming from.  You don't let elite players walk.

12 minutes ago, StatKing said:

You assume young players don't and can't develop which is foolish or coming from you the norm. 

As for letting 'top 5 players at their position leave, see New England Patriots for the past 20 years. 

Paying non-premium positions elite money is what bad teams do. 

For this to not be a market moving deal is huge.

He would easily have been the highest paid guard (until the next one) if he hit free agency.

Don’t like that money at IOL, but given his willingness and ability to be a pinch tackle, this deal is a steal.

(Also proof you don’t draft IOL in the first round).

Good for Jenkins, good for us.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I pray to god he makes it through the rest of this season. If we lose to Miami he needs to sit out the rest of the year. My heart cant take another Bahktiari-esque injury.

If it's one thing the big guy cares about it's not the millions of starving children it's clearly the health of NFL lineman. I hope yours got through

• Like 1

If you're going to look at it as a "non-premium position" out of any position that is considered non-premium I think OL is one you probably don't lose sleep over keeping a good player like Jenkins. It's not like we're overpaying a TE here. And again considering how versatile Jenkins is that leans into keeping him more than a regular guard. Idk I just can't be mad at keeping a good Offensive linemen that can play all 5 spots. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 1

Great sign for both sides, imo. We weren't resigning him for top-10 OT money, which he wanted prior to his ACL tear. Now he gets some financial security, and we retain a proven, top-5 OG who has the versatility to be an above-avg OT in a pinch. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You assume young players don't and can't develop which is foolish or coming from you the norm. 

As for letting 'top 5 players at their position leave, see New England Patriots for the past 20 years. 

Paying non-premium positions elite money is what bad teams do. 

We aren't New England. I think its safe to assume most guys won't develop into players that are capable of playing all 5 spots if need be. If he was just a guard you might have a point but for what we paid this is a steal. Who knows if Bahk will ever be able to stay healthy again? Give Jenkins another year removed from that ACL tear and I'm confident he can play tackle at a high level like he has in past years.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

does anyone have his pff grades for games this season all nice and in a list

I don’t have a sub, but here are most of them that I found publicly available. for games where he didn’t grade in the top-5 or bottom-5 offensively, we only know the range within which his grade must’ve fallen. 

As OT:

MIN DNP

CHI 58.5

TB [54.5-68.4]

NE 73.8

NYG 85.7

NYJ 54.0

Moved to OG:

WAS 50.0

BUF DNP

DET 78.2 

DAL 52.5