Elgton Jenkins Gets Paid (4 years, $68M)

Striker

3 hours ago, StatKing said:

We aren't New England. I think its safe to assume most guys won't develop into players that are capable of playing all 5 spots if need be. If he was just a guard you might have a point but for what we paid this is a steal. Who knows if Bahk will ever be able to stay healthy again? Give Jenkins another year removed from that ACL tear and I'm confident he can play tackle at a high level like he has in past years.

LOL! Actually, at developing IOL we are every bit as good as NE, except we keep paying them. Nice of you admitting you are wrong without actually admitting you were wrong. Typical of you! 

He was terrible at RT, not just below average, terrible. I don't care how he was graded at LT last year, he was average to below average at best before getting injured, so yes, we are paying for an IOL. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

LOL! Actually, at developing IOL we are every bit as good as NE, except we keep paying them. Nice of you admitting you are wrong without actually admitting you were wrong. Typical of you! 

He was terrible at RT, not just below average, terrible. I don't care how he was graded at LT last year, he was average to below average at best before getting injured, so yes, we are paying for an IOL. 

But he is an elite left guard.  He was also great at playing center and right guard so their is some versatility there.  I agree with you that he was below average at RT, but he was also just coming back from his ACL then and then moved to a completely new position. Rehabbing a knee and learning the intricacies of a new position probably slowed him down a little.  He has been starting to show his elite play again in the last 3 games at left guard, so I think he is really just now rounding into football shape and trusting that knee again and putting the injury behind him.  Another plus he is 26 (very soon to be 27), so a 4 year contract extension seems very palatable to me.  One that he should play at very high level for most if not all of it.  In a year or two, this contract could be considered cheap.  The offensive line with him an Bak has been excellent.

Let's see how everything else shakes out before judging this one.  We retain the services of a really good piece.  Nobody should be against this, in a vacuum.  I do want to see what other pieces are lost, in exchange for this move.   Every bit of extra space will eat away at room for guys like Rudy Ford, Dallin Leavitt, and Krys Barnes, not world beaters, but useful players.  And as far as positional spending, everyone else, besides Yosh, is on a rookie deal, and won't see any additional money until Bakhtiari is likely off the books.

We aren't going to be a player in FA until Rodgers, Bakhtiari and Clark contracts are out of the way, but we need a little bit of wiggle room to give Nixon 3.0 instead of 2.5, for example.

16 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

But he is an elite left guard.  He was also great at playing center and right guard so their is some versatility there.  I agree with you that he was below average at RT, but he was also just coming back from his ACL then and then moved to a completely new position. Rehabbing a knee and learning the intricacies of a new position probably slowed him down a little.  He has been starting to show his elite play again in the last 3 games at left guard, so I think he is really just now rounding into football shape and trusting that knee again and putting the injury behind him.  Another plus he is 26 (very soon to be 27), so a 4 year contract extension seems very palatable to me.  One that he should play at very high level for most if not all of it.  In a year or two, this contract could be considered cheap.  The offensive line with him an Bak has been excellent.

Based on what in the NFL is he great at playing center and right guard? We don't know that. We didn't sign him to that contract to be versatile. We gave him that contract to play LG and IMO, you don't pay interior offensive linemen that kind of money. 

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Based on what in the NFL is he great at playing center and right guard? We don't know that. We didn't sign him to that contract to be versatile. We gave him that contract to play LG and IMO, you don't pay interior offensive linemen that kind of money. 

we aren't the zbs team we used to be, need talented players there

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You assume young players don't and can't develop which is foolish or coming from you the norm. 

As for letting 'top 5 players at their position leave, see New England Patriots for the past 20 years. 

Paying non-premium positions elite money is what bad teams do. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MankLo20.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KoppDa20.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NealSt20.htm

All 3 IOL of the Pats dynasty run received contract extensions, nice try.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Based on what in the NFL is he great at playing center and right guard? We don't know that. We didn't sign him to that contract to be versatile.

So versatility is not worth anything ? I'd guess that there are 32 GMs that disagree with you. Versatility is very important, even more these days, than in the past. Being multiple pays.

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You assume young players don't and can't develop which is foolish or coming from you the norm.

Those with the opposite take on this to you most likely think that players very seldom develop TO HIS STANDARD. He isn't being paid to be an average guard, he's paid to be elite. As for your comment about us always finding good interior linemen, Madison, Hanson, Newman and Rhyan are not looking like world beaters. Lucas Patrick was pretty average, too. Green Bay normally have good O lines more because they have spent a lot of picks on that group, over time. I could just as easily claim Green Bay found it easy to get elite QBs, based on the last 30 years.........................and I'd be just as wrong (though that doesn't stop me hoping Love makes it three good QBs in a row).

Like @CWood21 I can see where you are coming from, but in this case I think it is a reasonable deal.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

From a cap standpoint this is excellent. If he does have the vets minimum inbound next year, this adds just around $6m to our cap. And that would track as likely due to the size of his bonus.

Puts us right now at around $3m over the projected cap should we activate Rodgers' option. We can pretty comfortably push about $40m into the future with extensions and restructures. Biggest signing is taken care of and we have a lot of money to play with.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

Friendly reminder that the cap will be north of $300 million by the end of this contract.

For a place called footballs FUTURE there's so much not understanding how the future of the cap works. I feel like I've spent a decade talking about how what you think is a reasonable contract should be timesed by 1.33 that it's warped into 1.5 

Guarantee he won't be a top 10 paid IOL at the end this. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Oh my, cherry picking city! Not a great job of it either. 

First of all, their dynasty has been 20 years and they had a hell of a lot more than 3 interior 0-linemen during that time. Secondly, I never said DON'T re-sign interior offensive linemen, I said, don't give them top of the food chain contracts. 

Last year they lost Ted Karras their starting center to free agency. The year before that they lost JOE THUNEY, 80 million for 5 years. They have the 4th most comp picks in history. 

Stephan Neal, the guy they cut and then re-signed to the practice squad and made no pro-bowls or all-pro mentions. He did not get a top of the food chain contract. 

Dan Koppen, another guy who only made one-pro-bowl got a 2-year extension and was not paid near the top of the food chain for interior offensive linemen. 

Login Mankins was a stud, best guard of his era. He sat out 2010 because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted. They eventually caved and made him the top paid guard in the NFL. They traded him in 2014 when the big numbers on his contract were due. IN other words, they realized they made a mistake giving an interior offensive lineman a big contract and rectified the situation. 

They learned from their one mistake and let Thuney walk after franchising him for a year. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Oh my, cherry picking city! Not a great job of it either. 

First of all, their dynasty has been 20 years and they had a hell of a lot more than 3 interior 0-linemen during that time. Secondly, I never said DON'T re-sign interior offensive linemen, I said, don't give them top of the food chain contracts. 

Last year they lost Ted Karras their starting center to free agency. The year before that they lost JOE THUNEY, 80 million for 5 years. They have the 4th most comp picks in history. 

Stephan Neal, the guy they cut and then re-signed to the practice squad and made no pro-bowls or all-pro mentions. He did not get a top of the food chain contract. 

Dan Koppen, another guy who only made one-pro-bowl got a 2-year extension and was not paid near the top of the food chain for interior offensive linemen. 

Login Mankins was a stud, best guard of his era. He sat out 2010 because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted. They traded him in 2014 when the big numbers on his contract were due. IN other words, they realized they made a mistake giving an interior offensive lineman a big contract and rectified the situation. 

We're taking crazy pills today?

Yanda was unquestionably better.

I would hesitate to even try to muster an argument against a prime Carl Nicks or Josh Sitton.  

Assuming you're a man who values those pure drive skills highly, I have a hard time making the argument over Jahri Evans or Mike Iupati. 

And that all depends on us not including the overlap for guys like Faneca, Hutchinson, and Waters.

• Like 2