Elgton Jenkins Gets Paid (4 years, $68M)

Striker

nice.  money is certainly appropriate given his ability at OG and capable to get you out of some games at OT.  

Mill be interesting to see how the rest of the OL looks for 2023

Tom - Jenkins - Meyers - Runyan - Nijman 

that is not a bad group if GB were to decide to move off Bak

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

nice.  money is certainly appropriate given his ability at OG and capable to get you out of some games at OT.  

and draft Runyan's replacement sooner rather than later

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Eh, I think you run is bak with bak, especially if 12 does one more year. Need that depth for a run

Jenkins was going to be the top guard available in free agency.  I see that Risner and a few other decent guys are out there, but really, they are clear steps down from Jekins.

And tackles?  Maybe he would have been a top 5 FA tackle.  Coklin, Brown, McGlinchey are out there.

But we just re-signed someone who was going to be one of the top OL free agents this off-season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I hate this deal. Paying in interior offensive lineman 17 a year average is what bad teams do. Tag and trade or let him walk in free agency at that price. 

I don't think there's much historical precedent for IOL being tagged and traded.  I think his trade value isn't really there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I hate this deal. Paying in interior offensive lineman 17 a year average is what bad teams do. Tag and trade or let him walk in free agency at that price. 

Bad teams let good OL go. Jenkins isn't just an interior only guy, obviously it's his best position but he isn't a slouch everywhere else and can play all 5 spots.  The cap will only expand and it won't look as bad, plus we could of got him 5-10 more mil a year if he was searching for tackle money, it's not a bad deal.

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Bad teams let good OL go. Jenkins isn't just an interior only guy, obviously it's his best position but he isn't a slouch everywhere else and can play all 5 spots.  The cap will only expand and it won't look as bad, plus we could of got him 5-10 more mil a year if he was searching for tackle money, it's not a bad deal.

LOL! Go back and look at how many good O-linemen the Patriots let walk over the years and still won championships. This is absolutely laughable. 

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think there's much historical precedent for IOL being tagged and traded.  I think his trade value isn't really there.

Then they should have let him walk and taken the 3rd round comp because somebody would have paid him a lot more than that thinking he was a LT. We always find good interior offensive lineman and I am 100% opposed to paying top money to non-premium positions. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

LOL! Go back and look at how many good O-linemen the Patriots let walk over the years and still won championships. This is absolutely laughable. 

The patriots are a outlier to everything lol for how teams win championships, good offensive lineman don't grow on trees and if you can't block inside nowadays you're going to get crushed in this league. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how this deal is structured.  I believe since they got the deal done before the end of the regular season, they can spread that signing bonus into this season so that's an additional $4.8M onto this year's cap.  The Lowry restructure allows them the cap space to do so.  Looking at the '23 cap, they're already pressed up against the cap, so they probably are angling for a low Y2 cap hit if they can avoid it.

2022: +$4.8M cap hit
2023: $1M base salary, $4.8M SB, 500k workout bonus -> $5.3M cap hit ($19.2M dead cap)
2024: $5M base salary,  $4.8M SB, 500k workout bonus -> $10.3M cap hit ($14.4M dead cap)
2025: $16M base salary, $4.8M SB, 500k workout bonus -> $21.3M cap hit ($9.6M dead cap)
2025: $20M base salary, $4.8M SB, 500k workout bonus -> $25.3M cap hit ($4.8M dead cap)

They can probably make it a bit more cap friendly by spreading more cap into 2024, but with the salary cap going up they'll probably backload it.