Week 17 Gameday Thread (New Years Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (7-8-0) vs Minnesota (12-3-0)

Striker

6 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

That's fine if you do that, however I will form an opinion based off of wins, as the super bowl is determined by wins and not DVOA.

I might get flamed on here, called a traitor, etc., but I don't like belittling a rival, at least not when they have a much better record than you do--regardless of what the friggin stats show. I also like the principle of "never overestimate your team and never underestimate your opponent." Sure, it makes me a bit miserable to watch a game with (haha), but so be it. I'll be happily surprised if the Packers beat the Vikings but hardly would bet on it.

18 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Luck is a lot like holding calls and DPIs. Some fans just absolutely refuse to see it when it's their team no matter how egregious but can spot the smallest example from an opponent clear as day. 🤷‍♂️

Yep. There's SO much hidden yardage in a game that tilts the odds and goes almost completely unnoticed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

That's fine if you do that, however I will form an opinion based off of wins, as the super bowl is determined by wins and not DVOA.

using dvoa for forming an opinion for how the vikings will perform in the playoffs is better than using regular season wins

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I form opinions based off of watching teams play. Not DVOA.

I like to imagine that they are all at the pool, and they have a big splash contest. The team that has the guy that makes the biggest splash wins.  And no, that isn't automatically the fattest guy.  Plus it is all my imagination, so Mason Crosby has a pretty good splash technique, then again, Harrison Smith does as well.  This may be a toss up.

16 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

using dvoa for forming an opinion for how the vikings will perform in the playoffs is better than using regular season wins

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Yep. There's SO much hidden yardage in a game that tilts the odds and goes almost completely unnoticed.

There's quite a bit of coping from the Vikings fans in this thread. It's kind of funny, though I guess I get it. They don't win the division often and even double digit win season win seasons are unpredictable with their franchise so take it where you can.

They likely bounce the Packers/Commanders/Lions in the Wild Card round, and then get absolutely eaten by the 49ers, who will bring the same matchup nightmare that has led to the other Vikings blowout losses. It is entirely possible they continue their absurd run good in terms of penalties/absurdly long field goals/missed field goals/stone hands/poor QB decisions. But the problem is that each of their likely divisional/championship game opponents just haven't really done that this season. Okay, Dak has. But the other teams have played pretty clean.

1 hour ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I form opinions based off of watching teams play. Not DVOA.

There's no way you've been watching the Vikes and thinking "this team is great". I'd imagine it's been a lot of frustration and then excitement as they somehow find a way to pull it out at the end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I might get flamed on here, called a traitor, etc., but I don't like belittling a rival, at least not when they have a much better record than you do--regardless of what the friggin stats show. I also like the principle of "never overestimate your team and never underestimate your opponent." Sure, it makes me a bit miserable to watch a game with (haha), but so be it. I'll be happily surprised if the Packers beat the Vikings but hardly would bet on it.

Obviously you don't live in western, northwestern Wisconsin to have those "feelings" of Viking appreciation.  My Viking friends living here don't like the Packers just as much as we dislike the Queens.   It's a way of life here and won't change. By the way, whether they're good or bad  ... they still suck.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like to imagine that they are all at the pool, and they have a big splash contest. The team that has the guy that makes the biggest splash wins.  And no, that isn't automatically the fattest guy.  Plus it is all my imagination, so Mason Crosby has a pretty good splash technique, then again, Harrison Smith does as well.  This may be a toss up.

Except it's a gene pool and they are all from the shallow end where there is no diving. 

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's even worse. 

The eye test is even worse then using record. No fan watches enough nor has any idea of how to watch to determine how good a team actually is.

Football really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

You absolutely can watch the games every week and get a feel for the capability of a given team.

I think anyone who's not wearing purple and gold glasses can watch the Vikings every week and tell you that it's a .500 team that's caught some repeated breaks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Football really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

You absolutely can watch the games every week and get a feel for the capability of a given team.

I think anyone who's not wearing purple and gold glasses can watch the Vikings every week and tell you that it's a .500 team that's caught some repeated breaks. 

But also give them some credit because they also made their own breaks. As they say in the business world though, "it's not a sustainable model!" Ask Bankman.