Week 17 Gameday Thread (New Years Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (7-8-0) vs Minnesota (12-3-0)

Striker

10 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I (and several others) have posted on forums of teams that are not the Packers, when I've had something to say. It's only fair that they can post on a Packers forum when they have a point to make

A bit off topic, but personally I dislike that kind of interaction. When a poster goes into another team’s board they often just focus on the most outrageous posts there even though they are probably not how most of the board feels - for example, a certain troll here wishing injury on the opposing team’s QB. It’s often fruitless and leads to increasingly hostile interactions.

Edited by Packer_ESP
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The closest comparison I've seen to our 2022 squad is the 2019 Packers and 2003 Panthers. 

Were those teams "painfully average" or frauds?

I can't really remember the 2003 Panthers, but the 2019 Packers were never a contender.  I don't think very many people are saying the Vikings aren't having a good season, just that they are not a contender despite their record.  

• Like 1

I’ll give some props to the Vikings, even though I truly do loathe them.

They've found ways to win this season.  Sure, nearly every game has been close, but when you come out on top, that’s all that matters.  Not DVOA, not point differential - just wins.

Jefferson and Cousins can close tight games.  I hope Jaire can back up his smack talk this weekend (idiotically calling Jefferson’s week one performance a fluke).  I won’t prognosticate on how far the Vikings will go in the playoffs - their defense is suspect for making a long run.  But their offense has proven to bail the team out, so who knows.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

The closest comparison I've seen to our 2022 squad is the 2019 Packers and 2003 Panthers. 

Eh.  I'd say painfully average and lucky.

I haven't seen your team enough to know anything outside of the points for and against metric.

But...with your core of vets, if there is a group of guys that can pull it together for a playoff run, I'd take guys like Smith, Kendricks and Peterson.

Still think that Cousins can throw you out of a key game.  Not this game against us, though.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not really true. Not in the regular season.

Yes, winning is harder in the post season and matters more than regular season.  DVOA can be predictive and useful, just not to me as much as you.  I suspect (not necessarily predict) that Minny’s season will end in similar fashion as GB’s seasons have umpteen times in the past decade.  I just have a feeling their miracle plays will cease to bail them out.  Maybe that’s exactly what DVOA stats are suggesting, so there you go.

Edited by Sasquatch

22 hours ago, Scoremore said:

That's a real nice expose.  What you fail to realize is we don't like the Vikings.  Like at all.  What are you doing on our forum anyway?   Vikings will either be one and done or perhaps lose in the divisional round.  The Viking Defense sucks.  Offense is good when Cousins has time.  Under pressure he will fold like a cheap suit.  And fold he will.  

You sound very confident. At the end of the day, it's been very amusing watching Peter Bukowski and many other Packer fans get so rattled over our 12-3 squad. It's all in good fun man. We know you don't like the Vikings, and we don't like the Packers. It's some friendly trash talk. Some people take it too far or personal for sure.

Vikings are good and are really fun to watch.  Having such an explosive offense that can often outscore what their defense gives up is fun football.  Jefferson is amazing, and Cousins is good.  Not sure lately, but their pass protection has been better this year than it's been in years, I think.  Cousins often gets good protection, other than against really good defenses.  And the Packers are not the pass rush to stress him out much. 

They've been pretty fortunate as regards injuries, I think?  Or am I wrong?   

Defense, highly vulnerable under the best of conditions.   But I'm not sure the Packers offense has the consistency to make them pay badly?  

Vikings have a points advantage over the season, which is more than the Packers can say, that's for sure.  But in the Vikes rare losses, a couple have been blowouts.  That can happen.  

No idea how Sunday will go.  I think it's imperative that the Packers offense scores a lot, is able to drive the ball, and is able to get TD's not just FG's.  

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Frauds in comparison to the other teams with similar records to them? Yes. LIS though, Vikes have put themselves in a great spot, and the NFC is pretty weak this year, so they could continue riding this wave of luck all throughout January. That's all I was hoping for in 2019 with the Packers when it was apparent that they were moreso a 10-6 or 9-7 type team from a production standpoint vs a legit 13-3 one

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes, winning is harder in the post season and matters more than regular season.  DVOA can be predictive and useful, just not to me as much as you.  I suspect (not necessarily predict) that Minny’s season will end in similar fashion as GB’s seasons have umpteen times in the past decade.  I just have a feeling their miracle plays will cease to bail them out.  Maybe that’s exactly what DVOA stats are suggesting, so there you go.

Wins/Losses are a simple binary. 15 data points.

DVOA is what, tens of thousands of data points?

I know which one I'm going to pay more attention to while forming an opinion!

19 minutes ago, craig said:

They've been pretty fortunate as regards injuries, I think?  Or am I wrong?   

Our skill position players haven't had much injuries, but we've had key injuries in our secondary, and on our O-Line throughout the year. We have not been exceptionally healthy.

It's crazy how so many people are trying to find an explanation for our 12-3 record. Maybe we are just... good? 

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Wins/Losses are a simple binary. 15 data points.

DVOA is what, tens of thousands of data points?

I know which one I'm going to pay more attention to while forming an opinion!

That's fine if you do that, however I will form an opinion based off of wins, as the super bowl is determined by wins and not DVOA.

• Like 1