Week 17 GDT: The Draft Bowl - Eagles(13-2) vs Saints(6-9)

AZ_Eaglesfan

35 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Pointing out past success? You're saying the team is doomed because they lost with a backup QB. Do people forget Jalen is 13-1 this season? Wild

Dude did I once say in there that we're doomed? I said it was a massive loss for multiple reasons, yes. I never said it had anything to do with our 10,000 foot overall outlook. If anything, I think we're being slept on because people are now starting to intertwine this Minshew-led Eagles team with the Hurts-led Eagles team. It took away our ability to further rest guys, which is a big deal but not a dooming one.

I don't think this team is doomed but it is not wrong to be concerned with the team overall. Minshew was a mess but the offense still come out the first half dry. And the defense, despite the sacks, have been problematic for a few weeks now. The secondary is very very leaky. 

Jalen is a difference maker. 100% but it isn't ALL him and there are other serious concerns. Also we just saw one QB get hurt playing this Giants defense. I am not all that excited to see Jalen post injury playing them. People are convinced they will rest their started (and I think they will to an extent) but they might not and that could be dangerous for both teams.

It just would have been better had this game truly meant nothing on both sides.

Look given the injuries late in the season to 6-8 starters would securing the #1 seed, having that bye , HFA throughout the playoffs been ideal before week 18, absolutely.  From a rest standpoint, to a health standpoint. 

However the only silver lining to these losses "is the fact" it might of woken not only this team but its caching staff up from complacency. 

It's kept a bad taste in thier mouths, shown them they can lose to anyone at any time, not just playoff caliber teams. If that can happen WE better button up and tighten up everything in the next few weeks!!!!

I'm not suggesting they all were taking things for grant it,  assuming 17-0, 20-0 ect but these mental lapses, penalties,  TO,  horrific play calling is better to get out of the way now, then learning the hard way in the playoffs where its 1 and done. 

I 100% believe Injury has been the biggest issue over the last 2 months. Hard to stay consistent with ever changing parts. Eagles were the healthiest team in the NFL the  1st 1/2 of the season and thier play showed that on tge field.. Obviously we have not been the 2nd 1/2 but that's the NFL in a nutshell!!

This isn't 2017, Minshw is not Foles. This is actually a better overall team IMO. However unless Hurts can come back to even 80-90% of his MVP self these Eagles aren't winning the SB. Now if Jalen does and some how, some way Lane, CGJ, Maddox,  Sweat and yes even Quinn can be a fraction of thier 2022 selves? Be available,  be the playmakers they are.....

I will take my chances against any team in the NFL. It's just a lot to hope for given thier injuries. 🤞🙏

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, ACO said:

I don't think this team is doomed but it is not wrong to be concerned with the team overall. Minshew was a mess but the offense still come out the first half dry. And the defense, despite the sacks, have been problematic for a few weeks now. The secondary is very very leaky. 

Jalen is a difference maker. 100% but it isn't ALL him and there are other serious concerns. Also we just saw one QB get hurt playing this Giants defense. I am not all that excited to see Jalen post injury playing them. People are convinced they will rest their started (and I think they will to an extent) but they might not and that could be dangerous for both teams.

It just would have been better had this game truly meant nothing on both sides.

Yup bad gameplans on both sides of the ball. Come out slinging with Minshew? Gannon has no idea what to do without Avonte Maddox. Gotta overcome this stuff man. Gotta get creative in times like this and not just rely on your talented roster to cover up coaching incompetence.

33 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm not suggesting they all were taking things for grant it,  assuming 17-0, 20-0 ect but these mental lapses, penalties,  TO,  horrific play calling is better to get out of the way now, then learning the hard way in the playoffs where its 1 and done. 

I mean sometimes people can get comfortable and cocky. I do believe they put more effect into the Dallas game than the Saints because they 100% thought they had no chance of beating them. You could see their entire vibe of defeat when that reality check was loud. This is still the NFL. Bad teams can still beat good ones. 

In the end all this did was light a fire under them and it will be a good thing in the long term goal.

17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

IPD23e2.png

Saints have the worst SOS of the 7-9 teams and the best SOS of the 6-10 teams, so we wouldn't have moved ahead of anyone if we won.

With that said, if we would've won it might've helped us jump up a little bit next week if the Panthers were to beat the Saints. Falcons also have the Bucs next week and I assume Tampa will be sitting most important players so that's a game they can win.

So conceivably we could've moved up like maybe 2-3 spots. 

So, in all reality it ONLY cost the eagles one pick moving up.  (Falcons)
However, it likely cost them one additional pick picks moving down.  (Commanders)
That means instead of being at nine, they will likely finish at 11.
We are talking about a difference of 100 points.
That is equal to pick 100, or the 4th pick in the fourth round.
Jonnu Smith, Travis Benjamin and Everson Griffin were taken there.
The Eagles could add that pick by trading down to where they will now be picking.
The breakdown is below:

___________________ 6-10 Teams

Raiders v Chiefs (Loss)

Falcons v Buccaneers* (Win)

_____________________ 7-9 Teams

Panthers v Saints (Loss)

Saints/Eagles v Panthers (Win)

Titans v Jaguars (Loss)

Browns/Texans v Steelers (Loss)

____________________ 7-8-1 Teams

Commanders v Cowboys  (Loss)

____________________ 8-8 Teams

Patriots** v Bills  (Loss)  (common opponent)
Dolphins v Jets  (Win)
Steelers v Browns  (Win)
Jaguars v Titans  (Win)
Seahawks v Rams  (Win)
Lions** v Packers  (Loss)  (division record)
Buccaneers* v Falcons  (Loss)

* Irrelevant as they won the division

** Hold tie breakers over the Saints

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babyatemydingo said:

The Eagles could add that pick by trading down to where they will now be picking.

Thanks for making me remember we don't have a 4th round pick (again) cause we traded for Robert Quinn.

Gonna need him to do something in the playoffs to make me feel a little better about that trade. If he contributes in the playoffs a bit I can stomach losing an early-ish day 3 pick.

Good post though.