Week 17: VIKINGS (12-3) at Packers (7-8)

swede700

I want the Vikings to win this game for a specific reason beyond it being Green Bay, in Green Bay, and beating them would knock them out of playoff contention.  I want the Vikings to win in order to continue confounding the league wide narrative that the Vikings aren't a good team.  I want them to win this week, next week, and go deep into the playoffs, just so the high paid, talking head experts would have to admit that this team is pretty special.  The Vikings, in truth, are not as talented as Philly, SF or Dallas.  But those teams aren't as scrappy as they are.  We are Rocky to their Apollo Creed...(from the first Rocky film, before they got ridiculous.)  I like this team in that position...disrespected underdogs.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I want the Vikings to win this game for a specific reason beyond it being Green Bay, in Green Bay, and beating them would knock them out of playoff contention.  I want the Vikings to win in order to continue confounding the league wide narrative that the Vikings aren't a good team.  I want them to win this week, next week, and go deep into the playoffs, just so the high paid, talking head experts would have to admit that this team is pretty special.  The Vikings, in truth, are not as talented as Philly, SF or Dallas.  But those teams aren't as scrappy as they are.  We are Rocky to their Apollo Creed...(from the first Rocky film, before they got ridiculous.)  I like this team in that position...disrespected underdogs.

In some ways, this team awfully reminds me of the '87 Vikings team, at least in the disrespect that they receive (that team was only 5-4 in one-score games, though).  But I do remember them going to the Superdome in the WC round and just throttling the Saints (in what I believe was the Saints' first playoff game ever, as they had been the 'Aints for their entire existence) and being given absolutely no chance against the best 49ers team that ever existed.  That was also the strike year where we had to run out scabs like Tony Adams, James Brim and Jimmy "Not JJ" Walker (I do recall really liking that James Brim guy and was kinda disappointed they didn't keep him around after the real players came back) .  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Watching that interview clip on Twitter was brutal, what a clown. I hope JJ buries him on Sunday.

i'm sorry but it really bothers me that these young men go through 2-4 years of college but can't compose a sentence beyond a 4th grade level.

i know they all can't be Matt Birk and Ryan Fitzpatrick, but come on. even Richard Sherman had a communications degree from Stanford.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm sorry but it really bothers me that these young men go through 2-4 years of college but can't compose a sentence beyond a 4th grade level.

i know they all can't be Matt Birk and Ryan Fitzpatrick, but come on. even Richard Sherman had a communications degree from Stanford.

I'd hope for more too, but at least they aren't Dexter Manley.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

I didn't think Matt Birk was a particularly good speaker, but Fitz is one and very intelligent. Randy Moss is great to listen to as well.

I think the NFL is 80% Herschel Walker 20% Randy Moss if we're breaking down how well these articulate themselves. 

Though rookie receiver Christian Watson has not yet practiced this week with his hip injury, there’s still a chance he’ll be on the field when the Packers take on the Vikings on Sunday.

Head coach Matt LaFleur said Watson will work out with the medical staff and if he can practice then he’ll be on the field Friday. But even if he doesn’t practice, he’ll have an opportunity to play on Sunday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/30/matt-lafleur-christian-watson-may-play-vs-vikings-even-if-he-doesnt-practice-on-friday/

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so this begs the question...

who have been the greatest book smart-est Viking players?

yes, Robert Smith...
Birk went to Harvard...
who was that safety we had from the Bengals who almost broke his neck on the field? he was very articulate....

Madieu Williams?

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He should already be in contention for coach of the year. 

But is unlikely to win it.  I'll be surprised if it's anyone other than Sirianni...but in reality, it should be Shanahan.  How he continues to win with whatever QB is playing is masterful.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I don't particuarly have typically have a problem with their sentences or how they talk, that is up to the person on how they want to talk. Jaire seems like a nice guy, but calling JJ's performance a fluke is flat out disrespectful to someone who's having a historical season. He's been putting up big games EVERY game except week 3 vs Detroit

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

When I first started college, I had a creative writing course where we had to break into groups of four or five to peer review each other's papers. We had a young man in the class who was there because he was recruited to play football. I was in a group with him reviewing papers one day and was astonished at how terrible the paper was. The writing level couldn't have been any higher than 3rd or 4th grade. I felt terrible for him because he was pushed through school because of his athletic gifts, but he was never going to make a living playing football. 

There are a lot of "student athletes" out there who should not be in college. 

Edited by wcblack34