MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If I understood the clip correctly, I think the idea would be if necessary, randomly "remove" one teams game so that everyone has the same games played.

For example if Buffalo and KC win this weekend, they would randomly remove a Chiefs game from the record. Could be a win or a loss, could even be the Bills win over KC if truly random. 

I think it's a terrible idea if thats actually the plan and I don't trust the NFL to have full transparency in anyway

It would not include the Bills game as that would give the Bills one less game when comparing the 2. It may or may not also exclude the Bengals game from exclusion. In that case the odds of a Chiefs loss being removed are lower. Probably not the fairest way for the Chiefs as a only 2 and maybe 1 game would be eligible for removal. Should just have it be 50-50 on the game or like 57-43, 55-45 as those were the closer win probabilities on suspension.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Which is entirely inconsistent with reports that he's gone from 100% O2 to 50% O2.

The family not specifying that the positive signs were expressly neurological has no impact on the other valid data points that we do have about his neurological condition.

I would agree with@MikeT14's original post noting it sounds like he's slowly getting better. Obviously not a guarantee, but the correct read from what we've seen so far IMO.

We're pretty used to quick assurances with even the most serious NFL injuries. A thumbs up on a cart or board, news about someone being discharged from the hospital the same night, etc. I think we are all hoping for the best and have those experiences as our lived experiences and we are grasping at any and all even somewhat positive news. We need to accept small incremental progress is a good sign and need to be prepared to not have any definitive answers for a while. From all experts, it sounds like this is going to take a while.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If I understood the clip correctly, I think the idea would be if necessary, randomly "remove" one teams game so that everyone has the same games played.

For example if Buffalo and KC win this weekend, they would randomly remove a Chiefs game from the record. Could be a win or a loss, could even be the Bills win over KC if truly random. 

I think it's a terrible idea if thats actually the plan and I don't trust the NFL to have full transparency in anyway

Understand Bengals fans that this will in fact negate the 0-3 argument as well if the Bengals game is randomly picked.

We will all need to accept this didn't happen, for the integrity of the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

How about for the playoffs they just move Buffalo to the NFC - that would guarantee them a spot in the championship game if not also the Superbowl.

Philly only has 1 loss with Hurts. San Fran has been on a roll. Let's stop the NFC Slander. It's always sexy the last few years but they just won B2B SBs.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Aspiration pneumonitis is the most common cause of oxygenation failure in this case.   He was proned overnight.  The timing of improvement this morning fits with that sequence.    The natural history is that in healthy patients it often recovers with supportive therapy.   But needing proning is a sign it was severe enough that it also will delay neurological prognostication.  While at the same time very likely to recover.  I say this with 20+ years working in the ICU.   The info coming out now is certainly not likely to be neurologically related given the timing and need to be proned.   That’s why the caution is going out.  

Removing the oxygenation problem helps get to the next stage of determining severity neurological injury. Ultimately in otherwise healthy patients it’s the major factor and only long term determinant in recovery - as other organs almost always recover (as we are seeing here).  But even without that lung injury getting news on neurological that soon would be rare for patients needing intubation, and far more likely getting news on improving oxygenation.   But even then until they’re ready to take him off deep sedation (which wouldn’t happen with the need for proning and such high oxygen), we just don’t know.   We can hope - but the fear is still also very real.  

Okay, so you are saying what likely happened is there was O2 issues even at 100%, they change the body position, and saw improvement to the point where O2 can get dropped to 50%. Now I get it. Thanks.

And while I understand not wanting to interpret the news were getting now as neurological, the fact that he was resuscitated gives us positive information about the original extent of damage.

Just now, The BILLievers said:

Translation "opportunity" could mean Chiefs get the bye, Bengals get the division. Teams are in and they can suck it that they don't get a bye, higher seed or hosting opportunity because they still can play for the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Okay, so you are saying what likely happened is there was O2 issues even at 100%, they change the body position, and saw improvement to the point where O2 can get dropped to 50%. Now I get it. Thanks.

And while I understand not wanting to interpret the news were getting now as neurological, the fact that he was resuscitated gives us positive information about the original extent of damage.

Yes, that’s almost certainly the sequence.   The fact they referred to overnight readings - you don’t usually have bedside readings except vital signs and vent settings measured continuously.  It really all fits especially knowing he needed to be proned and the deep sedation required. 

All good.   Don’t take this to say there’s little to no hope.   Hope is real here.   Just fear is still also real.   And the brutal part is waiting is all anyone can do.   It’s by far the most excruciating part for families.   Even for families who get bad news they often talk about the wait period as bad as getting awful news.   Let’s hope that’s not the case here.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Translation "opportunity" could mean Chiefs get the bye, Bengals get the division. Teams are in and they can suck it that they don't get a bye, higher seed or hosting opportunity because they still can play for the Super Bowl.

Just declare it no contest, go by percentages, and move on.

Random number generator idea might be the dumbest ******* idea I've heard yet.

• Like 3