MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I assume this is sarcastic, but you never know with the internet, lol.  Most of the unifying goodwill behind his recovery is already almost gone.  Then again, my main source of this is Twitter, aka, the cess pool of humanity.

Not necessarily picking your post to quote. Just kind of convenient when this popped into my head.

The internet is very much a cesspool. Been doing IT for over 30 years. Could see it coming from the start and I have joyfully stayed off oa all social media platforms.

Anyway, this whole thing of trying to balance compassion for Damar and any particular team or fans not being happy with whatever decision the league makes can be mutually separated. Most "normal' people can have two very different emotions and thoughts and the same time. One doesn't automatically disparage the other.

I'm far from a wordsmith, hope that mad sense.

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

People are already asking if they'll add an 8th seed in the NFC if they add an 8tg seed to the AFC. 

A whole can of worms. 

Seriously. And there is no line where people will be reasonable about this. Do people seriously not remembering the swell of support Saints fans had for suing the NFL over a bad PI call?

NFL fans and teams would 100% turn every little thing into a full school board meeting.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Because this (as of now) hypothetical is only coming to play because the game is canceled. Why would this precedent ever matter if a game wasn’t cancelled? 

My point isn’t about when the game is canceled. My point is that any game at any point of the season being cancelled is extremely unlikely. Again, when’s the last game that was outright canceled? And outside of COVID, how many games in the last 20 years have even had to be rescheduled to a different day? 

Like I said, I get where you are coming from. I really do but I also think this situation is so so so so so unlikely to happen again that it makes no sense to worry about future incidents and how this would affect them. I’d put the odds of this happening again the same as I would the NBA playoff bubble.

I think it is more likely than you think. Not to say you are wrong in it being a perfect storm scenario but after the Belcher incident, the Chiefs played that weekend. I'd be stunned if that happened today that the game would go on. And we recently saw the NBA cancel games for protests. The NFL doesn't have the same luxury other sports have at making up games since the players need more time in-between games than NBA/MLB/NHL. Makes it tougher to schedule make-ups if they do occur.

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

People are already asking if they'll add an 8th seed in the NFC if they add an 8tg seed to the AFC. 

A whole can of worms. 

At this point, less games are better. Baltimore still has a claim on the division. However, the game this weekend is in Cincinnati... you may as well bump this game as a potential playoff game (if the seedings fall that way).

You can't penalize the Eagles in the NFC so let's forget that suggestion.

In this case, Bills/Bengals and their opponents get a bye this weekend (give them the news before their team flights hopefully).

Pats in the playoffs based on conference record. Then Dolphins have a win and in. If Dolphins lose, it's between the Steelers/Jets, as the Jets have the tie-breaker over the Browns (whereas Steelers would be win and in). You can get eight teams right there. No reason to play these meaningless games for seeding that can't be decides when teams haven't played all their games.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1

Just now, WheatieMan said:

At this point, less games are better. 

I'm not in favor of adding seeds, even if it benefits my team. I don't like the precedent. NFL just needs to cancel the game, use winning percentage to determine seeds and be done. All this extra stuff is just wrong. 

If they’re going to roll with a nonsensical idea like splitting HFA and the bye and it still leaves out who should be the top 3 seeds or division winners and last playoff team…… what are they actually accomplishing another than creating more chaos? 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm not in favor of adding seeds, even if it benefits my team. I don't like the precedent. NFL just needs to cancel the game, use winning percentage to determine seeds and be done. All this extra stuff is just wrong. 

I don't think the NFC is relevant. That's just arse... 

However, Bills/Pats shouldn't be played this weekend. It's a farce game. Bills can't possibly be ready for it with so much on the line for the Pats. 

If they can cancel select AFC games this weekend while paying the players, the NFLPA can't moan about it, because teams are playing the same number of games. Baltimore would concede the division, but they already had a road game this weekend.

That's why I'd favor an 8th AFC seed so long as games can be canceled this weekend for Bills/Cinci.

2 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I don't think the NFC is relevant. That's just arse... 

However, Bills/Pats shouldn't be played this weekend. It's a farce game. Bills can't possibly be ready for it with so much on the line for the Pats. 

If they can cancel select AFC games this weekend while paying the players, the NFLPA can't moan about it, because teams are playing the same number of games. Baltimore would concede the division, but they already had a road game this weekend.

That's why I'd favor an 8th AFC seed so long as games can be canceled this weekend for Bills/Cinci.

The NFL is already on record that the week 18 schedule is unchanged. Ready or not the Bills will play. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

However, Bills/Pats shouldn't be played this weekend. It's a farce game. Bills can't possibly be ready for it with so much on the line for the Pats

This seems like a stretch to call it a farce game.

All signs point to the Bills not only being ready to play but still fighting for seeding

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

All signs point to the Bills not only being ready to play but still fighting for seeding

Might be they're just looking to the game as some form of cathartic outlet, where for 3 hours all they have to think about is that. Probably healthy tbqh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Look, it's fair to play the games, since the Chiefs are in action as well. But I don't think the Bills should be penalized over the Bengals if Bills lose and Bengals win. If they want those games for seeding purposes then go for it and play it out. I think both teams should be open, and the Pats have tie breakers already over the Steelers/Browns/Jets. Lamar would get an extra week off as well.

But I can't for the life of me accept the Eagles not getting a bye with a win. I am a Cowboy fan, and this would be the biggest farce in seeding history as far as unfair circumstances.

You can add another AFC game on Monday as an ESPN playoff double header. Another Saturday noon WC game is not necessary. It doesn't matter when the additional AFC game is played, but it CANNOT be for both conferences. That's just stupid. 

Edited by WheatieMan