MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

But when does common sense kick in? That 5 minute thing happened AFTER CPR had to be administered. 

I don't remember the exact timeline, but common sense literally did kick in when both teams went into the locker rooms.

I get wanting someone to be angry at here, it helps channels all the emotions that are going on with something tonight. But this is difficult for everyone. It's difficult to be the guy at ESPN responsible for figuring out what the hell to air. It's difficult being the referee on the field trying to go through the rulebook and remembering what to do. Some of what took so long was the result of just people trying the best to do their jobs. We got to the right place in the end. Maybe it would've been nice if it was quicker, but these things take time and a lot of communication. Decisions made tonight impact so many people, there's not a person on the field who can unilaterally just say this looks awful, let's end this. It's just not that simple.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

I get what you are saying 100% so I don't want this to come off as debate-ish, but when I think down this path, I tend to think  - What is a reasonable amount of time? 30 Minutes? 1 hour? Auto suspension of game? Idk.

Feels like if the attitude is "the show must go on because there is nothing we can do but pray", I don't think saying "lets take 5 minutes to regroup before getting back at it" is particularly out of line.

But again, I don't know that anything was a particularly great answer given the terrible situation, so maybe I'm just less inclined to throw blame around at this time than I should be.

I think it should’ve been up to the coaches and players. I understand what you’re saying as well, but i think in times like this you just sit back and say nothing until you know (in terms of resuming the game) i don’t think any one watching the game was wondering how much longer until the game starts back up 

• Like 1

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah buddy and all of that just being "a fact of working life" instead of an unending tragedy is bad.

I'm not sure I want it to be an unending tragedy either... At the end of the day we can only do our best, analyze the situation and come up with solutions to reduce the chance of something like this happening again.

• Like 4

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah buddy and all of that just being "a fact of working life" instead of an unending tragedy is bad.

Well I mean it's really just a fact of life, working or not. People - especially here which is odd to me because we all love NFL football or presumably wouldn't be on this site - LOVE to bash the NFL. This is the first time anything like this happened so of course they aren't going to know how to deal with it

• Like 4

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm not sure I want it to be an unending tragedy either... At the end of the day we can only do our best, analyze the situation and come up with solutions to reduce the chance of something like this happening again.

I mean my proposed solution would be ending those things and making it so that, for instance, people weren't routinely killed in warehouse accidents and in fact, don't die in them at all.

• Like 1

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

This is a one in a million thing if it is what we think it is. You have to be hit in the chest at the exact moment an electrical signal is sent. 12 people worldwide a year have this happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean my proposed solution would be ending those things and making it so that, for instance, people weren't routinely killed in warehouse accidents and in fact, don't die in them at all.

That's a pretty unrealistic solution. Most of what are in the most dangerous jobs are also vital jobs. Can't just start building houses without roofs. Or not collecting trash.

Some jobs that have to be done just have inherent risk. Have to find a way to reduce it as much as possible

• Like 4

Just now, paul-mac said:

I wondered if the NFL might make them try to play tomorrow. Sounds like common sense has won out.

They’ll surely just call it a tie. 

I can already picture all the outraged fantasy football managers who lost their championship because Allen, Diggs, etc didn't get to play.

Screw em.

• Like 2

Just now, warfelg said:

This is a one in a million thing if it is what we think it is. You have to be hit in the chest at the exact moment an electrical signal is sent. 12 people worldwide a year have this happen. 

Hopefully it does start the conversation on safety, empathy, and how to navigate the chaos of unforeseen circumstances in these venues.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't remember the exact timeline, but common sense literally did kick in when both teams went into the locker rooms.

I get wanting someone to be angry at here, it helps channels all the emotions that are going on with something tonight. But this is difficult for everyone. It's difficult to be the guy at ESPN responsible for figuring out what the hell to air. It's difficult being the referee on the field trying to go through the rulebook and remembering what to do. Some of what took so long was the result of just people trying the best to do their jobs. We got to the right place in the end. Maybe it would've been nice if it was quicker, but these things take time and a lot of communication. Decisions made tonight impact so many people, there's not a person on the field who can unilaterally just say this looks awful, let's end this. It's just not that simple.

I get it, trust me, i get it. The on air talent is in an impossible situation. I’m just saying to just not say anything. Don’t say warm up in 5 minutes. We don’t care. Talk to the coaches first. The right call was eventually made to postpone, but the 5 minute thing was incredibly tasteless.