MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

29 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

It's a nice thought, but that'd be a gargantuan effort with so many moving parts in so many different cities that I think you'd need months, not days to make it happen.

I agree that the chances of it happening are slim, at best, which is why I said I don't see it happening. It would just be the most ideal scenario if there really is one

25 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I did the math, the tie is the same hurts the Bills in win% the same as a cancellation of the game would. It’s bad optics again “punishing” them and not giving them a shot at the one seed, barring a Chiefs loss to the Raiders on Saturday.

I don't think anyone here has a real solution that doesn't involve actually playing the game so it's kinda just spitballing at this point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Troy Vincent claiming there was no 5 minute call to go back out there yet cameras show Joe Burrow warming up to go back out there... nfl is full of liars

They are.  The Bills defense actually TOOK THE FIELD.  That's the exact moment Taylor walked across it to McDermott and they decided to call it a night.  I was there.  I walked out to the concourse and could see the police setting up the post game barricades preparing for fan exit and traffic control.   

8 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

What’s the difference? It’ll need to go as a tie in the standings otherwise the final standings won’t make sense. 

The difference is that there was no game played to warrant a tie.  I'd guess that he NFL defines a tie in their rulebook and this "tie" would not meet one qualification of that definition.

You'd be just making it up as you go. 

Just wanted to post this again as it's up to almost 3.8 million. Again, you have $5 to give. If you have more, give more. This is the least you can do to for this young man. I'm hopeful he wakes up from this, feels as good as possible and we get a video of his face when he sees what's happened here.

Again, you can spare $5.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

They are.  The Bills defense actually TOOK THE FIELD.  That's the exact moment Taylor walked across it to McDermott and they decided to call it a night.  I was there.  I walked out to the concourse and could see the police setting up the post game barricades preparing for fan exit and traffic control.   

Why are we trying so hard to create a villain out of a situation that has no need for one? It's very possible the referees at the game told both teams they had 5 minutes to warm up to re-play the game, and that's totally fine, their job is to know the rule book and rule based on what it says. That was the 2nd time in the existence of the NFL that a player suffered cardiac arrest on the field, so I'm sure there isn't a special clause for it. The players and coaches have a right during any game to leave the field, and they used it, giving the NFL officials some time to make the correct ruling. Lets cut everyone involved some slack here, doesn't need to be a witch hunt. 

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't think anyone here has a real solution that doesn't involve actually playing the game so it's kinda just spitballing at this point. 

I saw someone on another forum suggest that if they need to play they should tell the NFL they will intentionally tie. Basically let the Bills walk in the ball, Cincy walks down the ball and takes a knee at the 5, kicks a FG, then both teams take a knee until the game is over. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are we trying so hard to create a villain out of a situation that has no need for one? It's very possible the referees at the game told both teams they had 5 minutes to warm up to re-play the game, and that's totally fine, their job is to know the rule book and rule based on what it says. That was the 2nd time in the existence of the NFL that a player suffered cardiac arrest on the field, so I'm sure there isn't a special clause for it. The players and coaches have a right during any game to leave the field, and they used it, giving the NFL officials some time to make the correct ruling. Lets cut everyone involved some slack here, doesn't need to be a witch hunt. 

I'm not villainizing anyone.  The refs followed the rulebook to the letter.  I am saying that I don't believe they had already decided to stop it and that yes indeed, Taylor and McDermott took the decision out of anyone else's hands.

19 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

The difference is that there was no game played to warrant a tie.  I'd guess that he NFL defines a tie in their rulebook and this "tie" would not meet one qualification of that definition.

You'd be just making it up as you go. 

Call it a "no contest" instead of a tie. Done.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

I'm not villainizing anyone.  The refs followed the rulebook to the letter.  I am saying that I don't believe they had already decided to stop it and that yes indeed, Taylor and McDermott took the decision out of anyone else's hands.

The officials on the field, and the league officials are two separate entities. Vincent could be telling the truth that no one from the league offices authorized a 5 minute countdown to resume the game, and the officials following the rulebook on the field could've told the coaches they were on the countdown. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Wouldn't mind this to be the catalyst to go back to 16 games.

17 is ridiculous 

Except this was the 16th game, so do we move back to 14? The extra game per season had no effect on this horrible situation. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1