Week 17: San Francisco 49ers at Las Vegas Raiders

TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, 49erscap said:

This is what I feared, he plays well, which he has for the most part, then prices himself way out of the 49ers range, no way I'm giving McGlinchey what Conklin got, $15M a yr.

Honestly, I think that he was already priced out. I always assumed that he was going to get a relatively solid contract. Even before this, there's no reason that he shouldn't realistically request the Cam Robinson contract. I would consider them to be comparable players, and McG may even be slightly better because he's a better run blocker. I don't think that this team needs him enough to justify paying both he and Trent that kind of money. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think that he was already priced out. I always assumed that he was going to get a relatively solid contract. Even before this, there's no reason that he shouldn't realistically request the Cam Robinson contract. I would consider them to be comparable players, and McG may even be slightly better because he's a better run blocker. I don't think that this team needs him enough to justify paying both he and Trent that kind of money. 

Yeah, I think he's a goner, but I think the 49ers will try & keep him, but paying McGlinchey $15M+ & Trent $23.01M a yr on average is too much for the cap, and McGlinchey isn't the player Trent is, if he was the Trent Williams of Right Tackles, I'd sign him, but he's not.

• Like 2

Brock Purdy was the seventh-highest-graded 49ers player on offense. His 74.4 overall grade is on par with his performances over the past couple of weeks. However, his four-game streak of increasing Pro Football Focus grades has ended. He failed to surpass the 79.7 mark earned in Week 16.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/pffs_highest_and_lowest_graded_49ers_players_vs_raiders_plus_snap_counts/s1_17111_38307612

Thought they were going to grade Brock a lot lower. Surprising. 

13 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, me too. A lot of turnover worthy plays by my count. Brock made a couple of nice throws yesterday, but it is super, super strange to see this graded higher than the Bucs game, where I had him at two big time throws and one turnover worthy play and a lot of plus stuff in between. Then again, their single game stuff will always be unreliable since the way you categorize individual plays as turnover worthy or big time will change the grade a ton. That irons out over a larger sample size because in general they have a consistent methodology for it. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

situations affect grades right?  so if he was down 10 points and they came back and won he would have a much greater chance of scoring higher?  I do not know their matrix but when they try to grade the intangibles there would not be an even grading field for actual on the field performance.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Probably need to give some props to Mike McG for yesterday 

It's one game so I'll give him the rare pat on the back...

but

still doesn't erase the fact that he's the Jimmy G of RTs. 

He's fairly competent a majority of the time.

But his miscues/bad plays are glaringly bad...like 'wtf' bad.

We can get some someone to do what he does at a fraction of  the price imo.

I still remember Compton filling in for him and there was virtually no dropoff in play.

That's McG, in a nutshell 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Yeah, I think he's a goner, but I think the 49ers will try & keep him, but paying McGlinchey $15M+ & Trent $23.01M a yr on average is too much for the cap, and McGlinchey isn't the player Trent is, if he was the Trent Williams of Right Tackles, I'd sign him, but he's not.

Would franchising McG be out of the question? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Would franchising McG be out of the question? 

Not sure, according to OTC, it'd cost $17.668M to tag him, if they do keep him, I'd hope it's like 2020, except no one is traded, where we reach a deal with low cap hits in yrs 1-2, and maybe 3 for MM.

3 hours ago, burlow said:

situations affect grades right?  so if he was down 10 points and they came back and won he would have a much greater chance of scoring higher?  I do not know their matrix but when they try to grade the intangibles there would not be an even grading field for actual on the field performance.  

Steve from PFF has done some breakdowns on how they come up with the grades, and it just sounds convoluted and way too biased to actually be a worthwhile measurement of performance. They have some great raw stats if you pay for the service but grades have always been a joke to me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, burlow said:

Not really. Every play is simply graded on a -2 to +2 range. They have a very vague qualifier of adjusting raw grades based on situations that are considered "favorable" or "unfavorable", but there's no real data for it or what it really means as far as I know. 

ESPN's QBR system does vary based on game situation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I thought Brock did a lot of work making Shanahan right even when there were difficult situations with pass protection exploits and run game issues. This time, the run blocking and Shanahan felt like they carried a rather poor Brock performance. 

I just finished watching the All-22 on this game and came away even more impressed with Purdy than I already am. His play in the final 4 minutes of the game was pretty clutch. Him and Aiyuk were completely in sync and it was beautiful. 

One thing I noticed on his final pass to Aiyuk that fluttered up in the air because he was hit was Brunskill was tasked with a pulling pass block on the edge rusher on the right side, but he runs into Burford and it slows him down a tick, which forces him to whiff on the block and the rusher gets Purdy.

The read on this play was Kittle on a deep over route and he was open for a TD and Purdy saw it. Purdy was very close to hitting the game winning TD to Kittle, but Brunskill whiffed and it was lucky to stay in our possession. 

• Like 1