NFL Prospects '23

ravishingone

On 3/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Uhh as a Penn State alum - I was always waiting for Levis to overtake that underwhelming no talented QB Sean Clifford and every time he got the opportunity he just failed bc Clifford was smarter (1st red flag on Levis). 

I've watched Levis' film at Kentucky and he sure did show case his athleticism (we already knew that). But again - he was drastically inconsistent throwing the ball and his biggest problem at Penn State transferred to Kentucky - no feel in the pocket and eyes always locked on his pre-snap read. Vision is as poor as manziels and Josh freeman. 

The Rodgers' arrogance doesn't bother me - (if you're good). But to showcase your arrogance when you're defined as a 24 year old project who lacks mastering the "basic things" a QB needs to be consistently successful as a starter at the NFL level - makes me say he's a second round project. Not a first. 

To me he's in between Blaine Gabbert and Josh Allen. He's as good an athlete of Josh Allen - has a great arm similar to Blaine Gabbert. Both physically gifted. Blaine was arrrogant as a prospect - Josh wasn't. I've watched practices - Blaine can still throw the heck out of a football - but he is bad at reading the field and hesitates to make a decision on time. Reminds me a lot of what I see in Will Levis. 

At the combine at the podium - Will Levis seemed not so bright saying "those dudes , yeah those dudes" etc. Seems like he failed basic English grammar, literature and comprehension courses. Richardson was composed, mature, and detailed in his interviews. He's 20 with little game film but a ton of tools to work with. He will be #3 on all boards as teams will want to see what they can do to tap into his upside. 

To clarify - if I were a GM, i wouldn't bank on either in round 1. If I were a team like Seattle or Detroit with 2 first rounders - I would use one on Richardson as a developmental pick behind Goff or Geno. Lions have a strong team they've built up over the last 2 years. So does Seattle - so they have a luxury. 

A team like us with many holes - and a GM like Licht and Bowles can't really afford to take that risk on either. It scares me that Levis still has too many kinks in his game too. 

As someone who watched Blaine Gabbert in boh high school and extensively at Mizzou, along with meeting him, I can tell you he was far from arrogant.  He's actually a very down to earth person and a hard worker for someone with his level of statutre as both a 5 star recruit and a 1st round pick back in the day. I don't remember former coaches on any of his teams saying he didn't put in the work.

His biggest issue IMO, was he was good in several areas, but not great in any. Even his arm, he has a cannon, but when he has to use it he sacrifices accuracy. They don't go one in the same with him that you see natureally with guys like Aaron Rodgers. He never developed the ability to pair the two together like a Josh allen did, who came into the league woefully inaccurate, but was able to correct that. 

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

As someone who watched Blaine Gabbert in boh high school and extensively at Mizzou, along with meeting him, I can tell you he was far from arrogant.  He's actually a very down to earth person and a hard worker for someone with his level of statutre as both a 5 star recruit and a 1st round pick back in the day. I don't remember former coaches on any of his teams saying he didn't put in the work.

His biggest issue IMO, was he was good in several areas, but not great in any. Even his arm, he has a cannon, but when he has to use it he sacrifices accuracy. They don't go one in the same with him that you see natureally with guys like Aaron Rodgers. He never developed the ability to pair the two together like a Josh allen did, who came into the league woefully inaccurate, but was able to correct that. 

Rodgers at Cal and Allen at Wyoming both had completely different mechanics in the pros.  The only thing that I believe matters is > 60% passing accuracy in college.  With all the throws around the LOS, 60% should be attainable.  Gabbert at Mizzou I would argue was better in college then Rodgers and Allen.  It really is just crap shoot.

Pretty sure Jeremiah has been pretty plugged into draft rumors- validity.  Something to watch for.

For this team, Qb is a need position.  QB1 is now on his 4th team.  QB2 has been on the active roster for 1 game in 2 years.

Might not be Levis as the pick, but the Qb depth chart is very weak.

Edited by ravishingone

48 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Pretty sure Jeremiah has been pretty plugged into draft rumors- validity.  Something to watch for.

For this team, Qb is a need position.  QB1 is now on his 4th team.  QB2 has been on the active roster for 1 game in 2 years.

If Levis isn't the pick at 19 - I can see us making some move for Hooker in round 2. I feel like we're high on him meeting him at the combine, sr bowl and brought him in for a top 30 visit. 

Again I'm not a Will Levis guy - i don't think he'd succeed here given the circumstances. But yes his tools are something to wow about. The rest of his game - oooooof

17 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Damn... He looks good in red 😂

His talent is so tantalizing,  I feel like he could easily have a Josh Allen type career arc in his first few seasons DEPENDING on if he's in the right system 

But I can also see him busting hard 

So boom or bust....

seth meyers wtf GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

https://www.pewterreport.com/zyon-mccollum-next-step-2023/

This PR article on McCollum makes me feel like Bowles doesnt want a CB rd 1

which is honestly going to tick me off if there is a great prospect that falls to us there (aka Witherspoon, Porter Jr)

I agree. But I also understand that you can't give up on rookies after one year - especially when we took a flyer on his upside from a smaller school. Same with Goedeke who apparently graded out well in his last 3 games of the year including the playoffs. 

I'm with you on Witherspoon, Porter JR or Gonzelez. From what I keep reading its possible one of those 3 could be available. I don't think Carlton Davis is a long term answer. They were hesitant to sign him long term last year bc of lack of production at the CB spot along with durability. 

If somehow Witherspoon or Porter were there at 19 I don't see how we don't bounce on that opportunity. 

I know some have connected on Will Levis. Part of me thinks he may be a real option at 19. 

Other thing I look at - is Trey Lance being shopped by the niners? I think it would be unwise to do so considering they don't have a firm prognosis on Brock Purdy and were in on Baker Mayfield until we signed him and they opted for Sam Darnold. Even if Lance were being shopped - I still wouldn't give up a first for him.