San Francisco 49ers @ Las Vegas Raiders GDT

Nightmare

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Game couldn't have ended any better in my book. Josh proved his play calling wasn't the only issue on the offense. I got faith in him running an offense with some upgrades on the oline. We don't lose our spot in the draft. Patrick Graham still should be gone. Go heavy defense in draft and fa. 

Agree that this game was perfect. We embarrassed 49er fans, and did not fall down in draft order.

Josh definitely called a good game today. He didn't try any weird gimmick plays like having Jacobs throw a pass with an injured hand. Or doing a double reverse with Adams.  

Him and Stidham are in way more sync than him and Carr were at any point this season. I hope Stidham can keep it up. He's only 26 so could still have some upside especially with the right coach for him and playmakers we have.

Derek Carr has way more talent than Stidham, but Stidham is a way better fit with what McDaniels wants to do and that ultimately is what it comes down to.

Our defense needs serious help (we've all been saying this for 20 years). We can't just rely on Crosby to come up with a big play on 3rd downs. If Crosby isn't getting a QB pressure or sack, we give up the 1st down. Unacceptable. The 49ers ran plays away from Crosby and we couldn't stop them. I dream of the day we have a pro bowl defensive tackle to solidify our front.

Edited by RaisinBran
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

Agree that this game was perfect. We embarrassed 49er fans, and didn't not fall down in draft order.

Josh definitely called a good game today. He didn't try any weird gimmick plays like having Jacobs throw a pass with an injured hand. Or doing a double reverse with Adams.  

Him and Stidham are in way more sync than him and Carr were at any point this season. I hope Stidham can keep it up. He's only 26 so could still have some upside especially with the right coach for him and playmakers we have.

Derek Carr has way more talent than Stidham, but Stidham is a way better fit with what McDaniels wants to do and that ultimately is what it comes down to.

Our defense needs serious help (we've all been saying this for 20 years). We can't just rely on Crosby to come up with a big play on 3rd downs. If Crosby isn't getting a QB pressure or sack, we give up the 1st down. Unacceptable. The 49ers ran plays away from Crosby and we couldn't stop them. I dream of the day we have a pro bowl defensive tackle to solidify our front.

What constitutes talent at Qb? Stidham had better pocket presence and running ability than Carr. Arm strength?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

That was a great game. Our defense was awful as expected and couldn't be relied on to win per usual...

But Stidham surprised me with his pocket presence and did not show any signs of fear facing the league's #1 defense. Our offense looked really good and I can see now the possibility of Stidham being the starter next year. I knew he had a good grasp of McDaniel's system already, but I did not expect to see the pocket presence that he displayed, as well as confidence in throwing to our top playmakers. Was glad to see Waller get involved more and high point a few catches. 

Not upset about the INTs because they were not really his fault. If Stidham can play like this consistently then I have no problem with him being our QB next year. The fact that he did this against the #1 defense is impressive, but it is just one game (with not a lot of pressure to win since we are basically out of the playoff race, <1% chance?) and I'm going to try and contain my excitement a bit. It's been quite an emotional week.

I did question the early and frequent use of Bolden instead of Jacobs. There were a few drives in the 2nd half where I was like wtf why isn't Jacobs out there?

I heard Jacobs would be limited going forward because the plan is to re-sign him.

13 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

What constitutes talent at Qb? Stidham had better pocket presence and running ability than Carr. Arm strength?  

Yea I guess I'm just talking more about arm talent. I think the pocket presence and running for a QB have to do more with trust. Carr seemed to have lost trust in his OL which ruined his confidence and led to many sacks and missing throws this year, but he still has great arm talent.

Did anyone even know Stidham was capable of what he showed today? He's hardly seen the field and his career numbers aren't good (small sample size). 

I loved how Stidham played today, but I'm not going to say he is better at this or that until I see him do it for more than one game. He also appears to have great chemistry with McDaniels and his playcalling, which honestly matters more than talent (nobody is talentless in the NFL). We have great playmakers, so if we have a QB that actually fits with what the HC wants to do he can be solid but not necessarily have more talent that someone else who isn't a good fit. 

Edited by RaisinBran

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

I heard Jacobs would be limited going forward because the plan is to re-sign him.

I see. I guess it doesn't matter if we win or not at this point so keep him healthy. I'm sure Jacobs still wants to produce at a high rate though and set higher career highs.

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

I’d agree we have had enough close games this year to show we are competitive but DT and secondary definitely needs additions.

Have to see how Stidham goes against the Chiefs but if he plays well that could be a huge bonus for next year.

Definitely need at least one DT. We were getting run through the gaps left by #90, #91, #92 they were just getting bullied out there. Then because they were getting destroyed at the point of attack the no name LBs were getting exposed. A high quality DT in there next to my boy would do wonders I feel. Maybe the young guys improve next year but Tillery is clearly a rotation guy who can add some penetration but doesn’t play with the leverage on run downs. We do need a CB too so we can keep Hobbs at slot and Rock can be #2.

The chiefs game will tell us a lot about Stidham, he’s earned a tilt at the starting role at least moving forward I feel but can he be consistent or is it just a Nick Mullins like flash in the pan?

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He's not, there is no chance.  He looked good today and that is great but I assure you he should not start next year nor is he the long term answer.  

He played his *** off today and looked good.  He made the game exciting despite our terrible D. 

It's similar to an MLB pitcher that a team hasn't scouted or played against before.  They can come out and pitch well at first but once the league gets film on them they revert back to who they are.  Stidham is a clipboard holder. 

Obviously, one game is too small a sample size to say whether Stidham could be a franchise QB moving forward but he did look very comfortable in the system and he was up against a legitimate, high quality defence. I liked how McDaniels eased him into the game with some easy completions and wonder why we didn’t do that more with Carr as Musgrave would always do that when he played best.
Stidham did throw a lot of passes that looked to me like he’s realising this is his chance and he’s being really bold and those can easily come back to bite you but as others have said, he’s earned a shot because he ran the offence competently, looked good and he did it against a legitimate top team even if they didn’t have a lot of film of him.

Just like it’s too early to rule him in, it’s too early to rule him out too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I honestly don’t think our D is that far off IF we add the right pieces. 

Tillery, Nichols and Farrell Jr were weak links yesterday, just got destroyed and blown off the line. Tillery is a rotation internal rusher only, Nichols has been a major disappointment and probably cut next year and even though it’s only year one Farrell looks pretty useless to me. We need to add a genuine all round DT, like a DaRon Payne who has been mentioned or a high draft pick. We need a backup NT too. I’m fine with Perryman and Masterson at LB but could add some depth and a cover LB. We do need to add a quality #1 CB so we can use Hobbs in the slot where he’s best and Rock is a #2. Hall and Amik are decent depth. Safety wise it would be good to add a guy who can learn under Harmon whilst he’s still effective. Moehrig is not terrible but underwhelming thus far. I’d give him another year to prove his worth. I don’t think that’s too onerous in one off season to add to be at least satisfactory. We won’t be a top ten D but we should be able to be league average with a few good moves.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Definitely need at least one DT. We were getting run through the gaps left by #90, #91, #92 they were just getting bullied out there. Then because they were getting destroyed at the point of attack the no name LBs were getting exposed. A high quality DT in there next to my boy would do wonders I feel. Maybe the young guys improve next year but Tillery is clearly a rotation guy who can add some penetration but doesn’t play with the leverage on run downs. We do need a CB too so we can keep Hobbs at slot and Rock can be #2.

The chiefs game will tell us a lot about Stidham, he’s earned a tilt at the starting role at least moving forward I feel but can he be consistent or is it just a Nick Mullins like flash in the pan?

Obviously a lot will depend on who we lose in FA. Perryman isn’t a lock to return, Brown isn’t either so LB is a worry as well.Billings has been good, I’d like him back. 

As you say far too early to rule Stidham as the answer but equally to rule him out. He showed a lot of promise last night, but he’s an FA as well so no guarantee he stays either. Jacobs, Carr, Moreau would be big losses for an offense already needing an OG OT #2 WR. Ziegler has some work to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I did question the early and frequent use of Bolden instead of Jacobs. There were a few drives in the 2nd half where I was like wtf why isn't Jacobs out there?

Jacobs was in the blue tent for a while in the first half. Hip or back injury I think they said on the comms.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

How did we get so thin at lb guys gets signed off the street and starting the next day. Every last lb. Diablo been hurt since like week 4. So many holes to fill. 

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I honestly don’t think our D is that far off IF we add the right pieces. 

Tillery, Nichols and Farrell Jr were weak links yesterday, just got destroyed and blown off the line. Tillery is a rotation internal rusher only, Nichols has been a major disappointment and probably cut next year and even though it’s only year one Farrell looks pretty useless to me. We need to add a genuine all round DT, like a DaRon Payne who has been mentioned or a high draft pick. We need a backup NT too. I’m fine with Perryman and Masterson at LB but could add some depth and a cover LB. We do need to add a quality #1 CB so we can use Hobbs in the slot where he’s best and Rock is a #2. Hall and Amik are decent depth. Safety wise it would be good to add a guy who can learn under Harmon whilst he’s still effective. Moehrig is not terrible but underwhelming thus far. I’d give him another year to prove his worth. I don’t think that’s too onerous in one off season to add to be at least satisfactory. We won’t be a top ten D but we should be able to be league average with a few good moves.

I hope your right. The defense needs an overhaul. That’s why it’s hard for me to put a lot of blame on  PG as the roster is so bad. The cowboys fixed their defense fairly quickly. Landing parsons helped but they really get after the qb so it can be done.