BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

54 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I'd be alright with Phillips there since we all pretty much run base nickel in BDL. I'd probably go with Trent Simpson with that other 3rd rounder though.

Yeah he was one it didn’t feel right leaving out of that round and I actually considered for you but that’s how I had it fall. 

• Like 1

Was going to do some BDL rankings but a lot has happened. Here’s my QB rankings as we head into next year.

QB

Tier 1 - Franchise guys

1. Patrick Mahomes - Best in the game

2. Jalen Hurts - Elevated his way into tier 1

3. Joe Burrow - Could easily be #2. The man. He has BDL jewelry already

4. Josh Allen - Most physically gifted in this tier? Those redzone INTs are the biggest concern.

Tier 2 - All the tools. Needs just a bit more from supporting cast

5. Justin Herbert - Expected him to take the next step. Gets some blame for that 27-0 collapse

6. Trevor Lawrence - His 2nd half of the season is who we thought he was

7. Aaron Rodgers - The thumb injury hurt. Getting up there in age. 

Tier 3 - Enticing to work with

8. Tua Tagovailoa - Heatlhy Tua is tier 2. The injuries are undoubtedly his biggest obstacle to climb

9. Lamar Jackson - Injuries are becoming reoccurring. At his peak he’s tier 1. Still exciting talent but want a body of work to look at for next few seasons which is questionable considering what peak Lamar does best

10. Kirk Cousins - He is who he is. You can win with him, how far you can go is a different story

11. Justin Fields - Tier 2 based on talent. I love his running ability but that’s hard to sustain over the next 4-6 years. Contract coming up and rumors about being dealt

12. Daniel Jones - Surprise!? The mobility is awesome. Showed what he can do w elite coaching. Now we need to see him w improved skill weapons

13. Jared Goff - From dynamic w McVay to after thought and now back to stable starter

Tier 4 - Definite starter (in NFL) - Solid transition starter in BDL

14. Geno Smith - Major rise. Finally showed what he can do w NFL talent on offense

15. Dak Prescott - League leader in INTs. Wanted him to use his legs more. At peak he’s fringe tier 2. Floor is tier 6

16. Brock Purdy - Deserves credit for leading an elite SF offense. Involvement of Kittle was huge. Will he even be on the list if Lance is healthy is a real question

17. Derek Carr - Still a NFL starter. He can take an elite supporting casts to playoffs (Jets?) Lesser version of Kirk Cousins

Tier 5 - Clean slate (The prior slate was not good)

18. Deshaun Watson - He was average at best. Significantly below average at worse. It looks like missing almost two seasons does impact your performance

19. Matthew Stafford - Even before the injury he was bad. The Rams offensively were bad too. Needs a OL before we can determine his future upside.

20. Kenny Pickett - The youngest one and only one w a relatively clean slate. Uptempo offense he was great, all other situations he was not

Next man up

21. Kyler Murray - Not a good start to a slate when you may not be ready for week 1. He might be sapped of his best ability (mobility). A decent rise is best case scenario. Drastic fall is legit possibility.

Honorable mention: Mac Jones, Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 7

I think Russ and Garoppolo belong in tier 5. 

Fields is a tier too high and Jackson probably should be in tier 2 (though agree re: injuries).

Tough to argue with though and pretty accurate as a whole though. Even then the comments above are nit-picky more than anything else. 

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I think Russ and Garoppolo belong in tier 5. 

Fields is a tier too high and Jackson probably should be in tier 2 (though agree re: injuries).

Tough to argue with though and pretty accurate as a whole though. Even then the comments above are nit-picky more than anything else. 

Good point on Garoppolo. I’m usually super down on him but he was playing at a tier 3 level before he got injured. 

2 hours ago, MD4L said:

Was going to do some BDL rankings but a lot has happened. Here’s my QB rankings as we head into next year.

QB

Tier 1 - Franchise guys

1. Patrick Mahomes - Best in the game

2. Jalen Hurts - Elevated his way into tier 1

3. Joe Burrow - Could easily be #2. The man. He has BDL jewelry already

4. Josh Allen - Most physically gifted in this tier? Those redzone INTs are the biggest concern.

Tier 2 - All the tools. Needs just a bit more from supporting cast

5. Justin Herbert - Expected him to take the next step. Gets some blame for that 27-0 collapse

6. Trevor Lawrence - His 2nd half of the season is who we thought he was

7. Aaron Rodgers - The thumb injury hurt. Getting up there in age. 

Tier 3 - Enticing to work with

8. Tua Tagovailoa - Heatlhy Tua is tier 2. The injuries are undoubtedly his biggest obstacle to climb

9. Lamar Jackson - Injuries are becoming reoccurring. At his peak he’s tier 1. Still exciting talent but want a body of work to look at for next few seasons which is questionable considering what peak Lamar does best

10. Kirk Cousins - He is who he is. You can win with him, how far you can go is a different story

11. Justin Fields - Tier 2 based on talent. I love his running ability but that’s hard to sustain over the next 4-6 years. Contract coming up and rumors about being dealt

12. Daniel Jones - Surprise!? The mobility is awesome. Showed what he can do w elite coaching. Now we need to see him w improved skill weapons

13. Jared Goff - From dynamic w McVay to after thought and now back to stable starter

Tier 4 - Definite starter (in NFL) - Solid transition starter in BDL

14. Geno Smith - Major rise. Finally showed what he can do w NFL talent on offense

15. Dak Prescott - League leader in INTs. Wanted him to use his legs more. At peak he’s fringe tier 2. Floor is tier 6

16. Brock Purdy - Deserves credit for leading an elite SF offense. Involvement of Kittle was huge. Will he even be on the list if Lance is healthy is a real question

17. Derek Carr - Still a NFL starter. He can take an elite supporting casts to playoffs (Jets?) Lesser version of Kirk Cousins

Tier 5 - Clean slate (The prior slate was not good)

18. Deshaun Watson - He was average at best. Significantly below average at worse. It looks like missing almost two seasons does impact your performance

19. Matthew Stafford - Even before the injury he was bad. The Rams offensively were bad too. Needs a OL before we can determine his future upside.

20. Kenny Pickett - The youngest one and only one w a relatively clean slate. Uptempo offense he was great, all other situations he was not

Next man up

21. Kyler Murray - Not a good start to a slate when you may not be ready for week 1. He might be sapped of his best ability (mobility). A decent rise is best case scenario. Drastic fall is legit possibility.

Honorable mention: Mac Jones, Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill

These are always fun thanks for putting it together. Look forward to reading other positions. 

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone watches Daniel Jones and thinks he's anything close to good. "Showed what he could do with elite coaching" you mean barely qualify for the playoffs in a terrible NFC and put up the same numbers he's had the past two years?

This is a quarterback who has thrown 36 touchdowns in the last three years combined. Stop blowing the guy just because he's a white guy who can run. EDIT: Not directed at you specifically MD4L, I'm just tired of seeing mediocrity praised.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1