BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

20 minutes ago, rackcs said:

That's about as nice as I can be about Sewell, wasn't a fan. I do think if he does pan out in the league his height is as a rotational thumper.

That's okay Rack I still love you even though you're wrong. :)

He's my annual tunnel vision "I don't care about testing he plays a lot faster" guy. I think that most guys who can hit a basic spot drop in zone are fine if that's the scheme. It's not like the Tampa 2 days when you needed Derek Brooks to cover a TE seam underneath 15+ yards downfield, but that's just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Thanks @rackcs

No worries. You value draft picks much more than I do. They are just currency that you can always borrow for later.

Or you could just not trade your future picks for picks now and then you'll just have those picks in future years and you won't have to lose out on draft value overall through those trades.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Or you could just not trade your future picks for picks now and then you'll just have those picks in future years and you won't have to lose out on draft value overall through those trades.

If for some reason, I don't trade future pick take that as a signal that I am on my way out of the league as I won't leave the cupboard bare for a future owner.

Value wise I don't think I am losing anything. A BDL 2025 1st has value as a 3rd this year through many metrics. same for a 2nd to 4th round value. I get a player for 2 years now.  

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

Ok, I kind of rushed through these with so much other draft stuff going on, but here are my 2023 BDL Draft grades for each team, plus my thoughts on the best and worst values for each round. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings and obviously my opinions are not fact, these are just my thoughts on the draft results. Hope it can spark some good discussion. Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H0RKTQNO3d3iJaySqJdj69vPzlAqla40gqwrURaZq_E/edit?usp=sharing

I don't disagree with any of this...lol

My only goal going into this was to get Kincaid or Musgrave.  No plan on getting both but that's how the board played out.  With my sterling history of TE busts, maybe one will work as I got Otton last year to be more the in line TE anyhow.  I also had no plans on drafting Torrence despite him totally being a bcb guy, but BPA said do it regardless of position value.  Simpson and Hooker are not bcb guys but value said they should be picked.  Hopefully the draftnik community knows more than me.  Wypier was my second favorite center in the class and Mingo felt like a good fit with Cooper and Waddle.  I love the Carter potentital.  He's gonna get bigger and stronger without the Army weight restrictions.  May end up as an outside /inside type of guy

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I don't disagree with any of this...lol

My only goal going into this was to get Kincaid or Musgrave.  No plan on getting both but that's how the board played out.  With my sterling history of TE busts, maybe one will work as I got Otton last year to be more the in line TE anyhow.  I also had no plans on drafting Torrence despite him totally being a bcb guy, but BPA said do it regardless of position value.  Simpson and Hooker are not bcb guys but value said they should be picked.  Hopefully the draftnik community knows more than me.  Wypier was my second favorite center in the class and Mingo felt like a good fit with Cooper and Waddle.  I love the Carter potentital.  He's gonna get bigger and stronger without the Army weight restrictions.  May end up as an outside /inside type of guy

I liked Carter a lot. I didn’t plan on taking him with any pick but he was a strong selection. I think he could go as early as mid round 2.

The only thing I'm scratching my head on is the team grade not matching the average of grades given to players lol

Anchorage 6 players between A- and B, 1 player is a C+... team grade - B-

Awesome work as always @rackcs,  as I said before I accept the risk with Richardson and really expect the low grades on that pick.      It was a pretty chalk draft for me outside of that.    

With Richardson,   I feel he actually processes defenses very well for his limited game action.  Do I think he was ready to come out,  not at all.    But I also don’t think going back to that dreadful Florida offense and scheme would have done him any favors.   As dumb as this sounds for a dude that plays faster than his peers,  the game still looks fast for him inside the pocket.   I think once his gets a little more exposure; his nerves will calm down, his feet won’t be as panicky and his accuracy will improve.    But that is the risk that he goes to a team that will groom him, and not just use him at what he already does well. 

Edited by RedGold

12 minutes ago, PR said:

The only thing I'm scratching my head on is the team grade not matching the average of grades given to players lol

@rackcs dinged me for trading future picks but didn’t boost me for getting a next year first either… but he worked hard on this so I’ll give my guy a pass 

41 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I liked Carter a lot. I didn’t plan on taking him with any pick but he was a strong selection. I think he could go as early as mid round 2.

Most draft people have said the league is pretty low on him and he'll probably go day 3. Because of the Army weight restriction stuff, he's just physically so behind the curve that he's essentially going to have to be a stash guy for a year or two. Good potential and intangibles are obviously strong but the concerns are there right now about if he can hang in the NFL. His poor showing at the Senior Bowl was when I first started hearing this stuff.

24 minutes ago, PR said:

The individual player grades are about grading each pick sort of in its own vacuum of value, need, etc. Then the overall grade is just about how much I think you executed the best possible draft you could have.

11 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

@rackcs dinged me for trading future picks but didn’t boost me for getting a next year first either… but he worked hard on this so I’ll give my guy a pass 

It wasn't so much for trading future picks as taking 3 RBs. Just felt like it wasn't necessary to keep jumping back in just to take another RB.

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

If for some reason, I don't trade future pick take that as a signal that I am on my way out of the league as I won't leave the cupboard bare for a future owner.

Value wise I don't think I am losing anything. A BDL 2025 1st has value as a 3rd this year through many metrics. same for a 2nd to 4th round value. I get a player for 2 years now.  

I've never understood this line of thinking. Typically, the player you're getting in the 1st or 2nd round a year or two from now is going to be a lot better than the one you're getting now in the 3rd. The Denver Broncos traded a future 1st for Alphonso Smith back in the day that turned into Earl Thomas; was that really the same value?

If you think Benton's a top 15 player, sure, trade the 1st for him. But I don't buy into the logic that a pick now is worth a higher pick next year that early in the draft.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Most draft people have said the league is pretty low on him and he'll probably go day 3. Because of the Army weight restriction stuff, he's just physically so behind the curve that he's essentially going to have to be a stash guy for a year or two. Good potential and intangibles are obviously strong but the concerns are there right now about if he can hang in the NFL. His poor showing at the Senior Bowl was when I first started hearing this stuff.

The individual player grades are about grading each pick sort of in its own vacuum of value, need, etc. Then the overall grade is just about how much I think you executed the best possible draft you could have.

It wasn't so much for trading future picks as taking 3 RBs. Just felt like it wasn't necessary to keep jumping back in just to take another RB.

And still didn’t give me a boost on that nice pick addition either 

• Like 1