Mahomes Becomes Second Player to Throw for 5000/40 Twice.

onejayhawk

On 1/1/2023 at 8:07 PM, onejayhawk said:

For the record, Mahomes has 5048 yards and 40 TD after 16 games.

He did 5000/40 in 2019 so this is twice. Only one other QB has done it twice and only a Hall of Fame list has done it once--Brady, Manning Marino, and Stafford. OK, maybe Stafford is not HoF. Still, this is very fast company.

Somewhat related, Jerick McKinnon quietly became the first RB of the Super Bowl era to post TD receptions in five straight games.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-jerick-mckinnon-becomes-first-rb-in-super-bowl-era-with-receiving-touchdown-in-five-straight-games/

I like to imagine a time where Norv Turner is running a modern day offense that utilized both Adrian Peterson and Jerick McKinnon.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like to imagine a time where Norv Turner is running a modern day offense that utilized both Adrian Peterson and Jerick McKinnon.

McKinnon has been valuable. Not bad for a guy that they got off the street.

He's is the best pass protector of the RB and compliments Isiah Pacheco's downhill power style very well.

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like it's been done before.  Not that special.

Well we've had 15 5,000 yd seasons, Drew Brees owns 5 of them. I'm guessing 4 of the 5 didn't have 40TD passes as well. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nabbs4u

Mahomes has a chance to wrap up MVP this week with a win and solid overall game. Not an average game. I still think Allen, Hurts, and Burrow are alive if Mahomes implode and they have a great game. But I'll say Mahomes MVP chances look like a solid 75% at this point. But it won't be anything close to unanimous. Congrats to Mahomes on a likely second MVP though. 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:45 AM, biggie. said:

Drew Brees does thebsame thing: system QB

Love this board's double standards.

99% of people call Drew Brees top 10 of all time.

Either way, their per 17 games career stats (excluding rookie seasons which neither really did anything)

Mahomes
424/639 (66.3%) - 5177 Yards (8.1 YPA) - 42 TD - 10 INT - 106.0 Rating

Brees
424/626 (67.7%) - 4764 Yards (7.6 YPA) - 34 TD - 14 INT - 98.7 Rating

They aren't the same statistically. Now sure we can look at eras and try to put that into context as well, even trying to highball Drews stats based off of when he was doing his best. Starting in 2009:

454/652 (69.7%) - 5109 Yards (7.8 YPA) - 38 TD - 14 INT - 103.6 Rating 

But then you could also say that Brees benefitted from playing 50%+ of his games in a dome. And Patrick Mahomes what he's been able to do this year with frankly not a great supporting cast around him.

Why do you just actively look to **** on things all the time? What are you insecure about some other QB that's not Tom Brady getting praise or something?

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 1:49 PM, ET80 said:

Who the heck said Drew Brees was a system QB!? That’s just as dumb as trying to downplay Mahomes. 

one dude, one time. I actually sort of recall it, and he was immediately roasted. But you know... that's 'everyone'. 

Since you know, it does well to fit biggie's current objective of trying to downplay Patrick Mahomes. I don't even really like the guy, I think he's lame, but please call a spade a spade. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

So, he's no Drew Brees...is what you're saying?

To be fair Mahomes probably breaks Drew's record of 5K within the next  5-10 years, easily.

But yes, No Drew Brees, yet. lol

Edited by Nabbs4u

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Mahomes has a chance to wrap up MVP this week with a win and solid overall game. Not an average game. I still think Allen, Hurts, and Burrow are alive if Mahomes implode and they have a great game. But I'll say Mahomes MVP chances look like a solid 75% at this point. But it won't be anything close to unanimous. Congrats to Mahomes on a likely second MVP though. 

Hurts is not in the conversation anymore missing the last 2 games IMO. Now had he played those (his average stats per gm) as well as 3 separate 4th QT where he sat out in blowouts,  the "overall" stats would of been a lot closer.

It's Mahomes by a mile.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

To be fair Mahomes probably breaks Drew's record of 5K within the next  5-10 years, easily.

But yes, No Drew Brees, yet. lol

To be fair, i feel like Mahomes has actually already surpassed that mark.  He's not there statistically, but realistically...what he's done, and continuing to do it without an "elite"  receiver like Tyreek...i think that pretty much cements him among the greats.  I'd bet on him hitting those numbers as long as he stays relatively healthy.

It's weird that in some ways, losing arguably the best receiver in the game today has been the biggest possible boon to Mahomes legacy, but here we are.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

To be fair, i feel like Mahomes has actually already surpassed that mark.  He's not there statistically, but realistically...what he's done, and continuing to do it without an "elite"  receiver like Tyreek...i think that pretty much cements him among the greats.  I'd bet on him hitting those numbers as long as he stays relatively healthy.

It's weird that in some ways, losing arguably the best receiver in the game today has been the biggest possible boon to Mahomes legacy, but here we are.  

No doubt if he stay healthy and on this course, his numbers will be ridiculous.  I do believe though he better hope Andy Reid wants to coach another 5-10 years.

I'm in no way saying Mahomes would suck under another HC/OC but Reids system is notorious for making QB look good. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No doubt if he stay healthy and on this course, his numbers will be ridiculous.  I do believe though he better hope Andy Reid wants to coach another 5-10 years.

I'm in no way saying Mahomes would suck under another HC/OC but Reids system is notorious for making QB look good. 

That's not wrong.  Andy has made some good QBs look great briefly.  I don't think it's ever been to the extent of Mahomes...

Wonder if it's a situation where like Brady, he has to step outside that at some point to prove he's one of the all time greats.

Edited by Tugboat