NFL announces scenarios for a neutral site AFC Championship

TheRealMcCoy

https://www.travelmath.com/halfway/from/Buffalo,+NY/to/Kansas+City,+MO

Halfway between Buffalo, NY and Kansas City, MO

The best city between Buffalo, NY and Kansas City, MO to meet is Indianapolis, Indiana which is about 10 miles from the exact midpoint.

Indy is pretty close to perfect as the neutral-site location for a potential Bills vs. Chiefs AFC Championship Game.

Man this sucks. Our team and players could really use that bye right about now. Josh Allen in his press conference mentioned that the team was hoping theyd be able to go see Damar in a week or 2. Having a bye week would have gave them extra time to go see their brother.

Now it seems like the path to a bye week is not likely. Makes it really hard to fit in a trip to Cincinnati while prepping for a playoff game.

Now im hoping the neautral site is in metlife stadium.

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

honestly, if it was determined the game could not be resumed, it would've been simpler to just give them both a tie than all this mumbo jumbo nonsense.

Not really. A tie would have pretty much be the same as a loss for seeding purposes. It would lock the Bills and Bengals into 2 and 3 seed and just hand the 1 seed to the Chiefs. This solution the same outcome is nost likely but if Chiefs and Bills meet in Championship game then it will be held at a neautral site. Not my favorite idea but better than the alternatives of KC benefiting in all aspects from a player almost dieing on field

18 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Not really. A tie would have pretty much be the same as a loss for seeding purposes. It would lock the Bills and Bengals into 2 and 3 seed and just hand the 1 seed to the Chiefs. This solution the same outcome is nost likely but if Chiefs and Bills meet in Championship game then it will be held at a neautral site. Not my favorite idea but better than the alternatives of KC benefiting in all aspects from a player almost dieing on field

You're assuming that Chiefs win this Sunday and that the Bills would've beaten the Bengals. The Bills could've just as easily lost to the Bengals, in which case the Chiefs (with a win on Sunday) would earn the 1st seed, anyway... so in that way, KC is being punished for a player almost dying on the field (in a game they weren't even playing in).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You're assuming that Chiefs win this Sunday and that the Bills would've beaten the Bengals. The Bills could've just as easily lost to the Bengals, in which case the Chiefs (with a win on Sunday) would earn the 1st seed, anyway... so in that way, KC is being punished for a player almost dying on the field (in a game they weren't even playing in).

I don’t think anybody should assume Bills or Bengals would’ve won one way or the other, that’s the point. Because the NFL didn’t declare it a tie, it allows the Bills and Bengals a neutral site for the championship if they end up playing KC. The byproduct of using that formula is that Cincinnati has to have a Coin flip with Baltimore for HFA in the wild card (if they meet). 

So anybody arguing that Cincinnati would’ve/could’ve/should’ve beat the Bills last week should be pretty confident that they beat the depleted Ravens week 18 and POOF, no coin flip anyway but they still get a neutral game if they play KC in the championship. Nobody really benefits from the game not being played because all top 3 seeds and Baltimore had a potential outcome taken away from them. So all four teams basically got a bone thrown to them, if you will. 

KC gets the bye (with a win)

Buff/Cin get a neutral site in chip if facing KC instead of having to go to Arrowhead (with wins)

Baltimore gets a chance at playing at home in Wildcard game if playing Cin (with a win)

Am i missing something, or does all this neutral site argument really missing the point of a Bengals vs. Bills matchup in the playoffs, that would now be played in Buffalo, but could've been played in Cincinnati, if the Bengals would have beaten the Bills?

In that case that game should also been played at a neutral site, considering the fact, that the Championship Game might also be played at a neutral site. So if u try to prevent any homefield advantage as a result of the cancelled game, u should try to do it for all games (also Ravens vs. Bengals), instead of just the Championship Game. Ofc that could suck for multiple fanbases, but if u do something like that, it needs to be consistent.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yeah. It seems like the Bengals are the ones that got absolutely hosed in this. 

Next time there are extraordinary circumstance in a game, the teams involved are going to remember the Bengals getting screwed for doing the right thing.  I'm still glad Taylor and Co handled it exactly the way they did, with grace and humanity, and i'm absolutely not surprised the NFL is finding a way to hose them for it.

Let's just go kick the **** out of Baltimore and make the coin flip thing a moot point.

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Am i missing something, or does all this neutral site argument really missing the point of a Bengals vs. Bills matchup in the playoffs, that would now be played in Buffalo, but could've been played in Cincinnati, if the Bengals would have beaten the Bills?

You’re not missing anything. IF is the big word. If you read my other post it shows exactly why they did things like they did. 

The reason it’s not like that is that Buff and Cin will have played the same amount of games and Buff will have better winning percentage if both teams win week 18. 

I tried going over every scenario for clarity. Maybe somebody else can chime in because the one thing I’m not certain of is this……. If Buffalo loses week 18 and Cincinnati wins, would Cincinnati get 2 seed and Buffalo drop to 3? I really am not sure of that. 

9 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Probably my Chiefs colored glass on but this is the only part I don’t agree with.

I think in either situation the site should be neutral because otherwise it’s basically assuming that Buffalo would have beat the Bengals.

No, even if they lost to the Bengals, they had the head to head tiebreaker with the Chiefs if they were both 13-4.

Just now, BillSabre said:

I tried going over every scenario for clarity. Maybe somebody else can chime in because the one thing I’m not certain of is this……. If Buffalo loses week 18 and Cincinnati wins, would Cincinnati get 2 seed and Buffalo drop to 3? I really am not sure of that. 

That's what i've heard, they'd go to like the 4th tie breaker or something, which the Bengals apparently have by 1 game.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

That's what i've heard, they'd go to like the 4th tie breaker or something, which the Bengals apparently have by 1 game.

Ok so in that scenario, the Bengals would host the Bills if they meet. So that eliminates that gripe people are bringing up. 

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

i think the seasoning in comparing BUF and CIN is that they have played the same number of games, so comparing them in this situation BUF is 1 game ahead and would be the higher seed.  

Assuming either team would have won that game becomes problematic

There's also the problem that the Bengals only get 7 home games vs 9 road games in this scenario, and zero consideration for that while other teams are getting various considerations.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

There's also the problem that the Bengals only get 7 home games vs 9 road games in this scenario, and zero consideration for that while other teams are getting various considerations.

C’mon DUKE, when you start reaching for who played more home and away games you’re officially grasping at straws!! 

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i'm just not a fan of a bunch of if/then scenarios to try to bandaid the situation.

Should have just been a "no contest" and zero other considerations. Simple, efficient, as fair as you can possibly get.

As a Bengals fan yes it would guarantee the north, but it also locks them out of the 1 seed.  Give and take.