NFL announces scenarios for a neutral site AFC Championship

TheRealMcCoy

19 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I kmnow that.  But you aren't addressing the rest of it because it's the crux of the issue.  Why wouldn't the Bills Bengals game get a coin flip then?  Baltimore is still 1.5 games back at the moment.  Why wouldn't KC have to have a coin flip with Buffalo?  They are a half game apart.  Why wouldn't Bengals/Bills be a coin flip in the divisional round if they match up?  

I wanted to go read the memo again before I responded. So what I’m getting from it is the coin flip is based off the winning percentage being off because of the extra game and the Ravens beating them twice. So instead of just giving the Bengals home field, they’re giving the Ravens a 50/50 shot at playing at home. 

The neutral site for the championship is that both the Bills and Bengals had a shot at being the 1 seed, if not for the game being canceled. So while KC gets the 1 and the bye, IF they were to play either the Bills or the Bengals, nobody will get home field advantage. I also think that they don’t want to use a neutral site for a wildcard matchup for many reasons listed here by plenty of people. So, for the biggest game in the conference to see who advances to the Super Bowl, they wanted it to be as fair as possible to the only 3 teams who could’ve gotten the 1 seed. I hope I explained that properly. 

Edited by BillSabre
Edit
  • Like 1

I think the possible coin flip between CIN and BAL should Baltimore win in week 18 was to ensure more motivation for CIN to not rest players.  If the NFL game CIN the AFC North title and set them with getting a home game they would have no need to play starters a full amount for that situation.  With the KC game on Saturday, had KC won, CIN would have been locked out of the shot at the #1 seed.  

NFL with the subtle move to want as much interest in as many games as possible for week 18.  

• Like 5

Bengals aren’t happy…

Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn is on the competition committee, which approved the scenarios Thursday. In a memo obtained by ESPN's Seth Wickersham, Blackburn urged the committee members to vote against the scenarios. Her reasoning stemmed from the timing of a rule change away from the standard of winning percentages used in this scenario.

"The proper process for making rule change (sic) is in the off-season," Blackburn wrote. "It is not appropriate to put teams in a position to vote for something that may introduce bias, favor one team over another or impact their own situation when the vote takes place immediately before the playoffs."

Source

What’s the point of a rule book if you aren’t going to follow it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Bengals aren’t happy…

Very true.

Its one game, and teams will have had 15-16 other teams to get into position.

The right move was to cancel the game and do nothing special.

The chaos in me liked these weird gimmicks though, so its whatever. 

Competitive Policy for Cancelled Games”: “If a game is cancelled, a team’s standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card in the playoffs or position in playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record. When necessary, playoff tiebreakers shall be calculated according to per game average for all teams.”

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There is a two week gap between the Championship Games and the SB. The NFL has had Covid protocols already in place if games due to covid were postponed. 

If both the Bills and Bengal are supposedly good enough to play separate games "This Weekend". There was no reason the NFL season couldn't of been pushed back 1 week, allowing the postponed game to continue between the two. 

I know the argument would then be, why should the rest of the NFL get a Bye while Cin/Buffalo played? My counter is why should the rest of the AFC suffer through this supposed fix?

This. Least silly solution. I’m sure Bills and Bengals would rather control their destiny for best outcome (1 seed for Buf, 2 for Cincy), even though it means rest of playoff teams getting a rest week, rather than have it arbitrarily decided for them as is the case with these proposed scenarios.

Venues, networks and any other variables will bend to NFL’s will to make it work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

It has to be an a vector that is equidistant from Buffalo and Cincinnati or there would be an unfair advantage and thus an uproar

How about Chiefs/Bengals play in Buffalo, Bengals/Bills play in KC, and Chiefs/Bills play in Cincinnati. Local fans get to buy tickets so everyone is an away team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

It has to be an a vector that is equidistant from Buffalo and Cincinnati or there would be an unfair advantage and thus an uproar

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

They should just call Bills-Bengals a tie, but if the neutral site option is used it should be Cleveland. 

My god...pf9 was right

https://www.travelmath.com/halfway/from/Buffalo,+NY/to/Cincinnati,+OH#:~:text=Halfway between Buffalo%2C NY and Cincinnati%2C OH&text=The town that marks the,° 45' 47" W.

The best city between Buffalo, NY and Cincinnati, OH to meet is Cleveland, Ohio which is about 23 miles from the exact midpoint.

50 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Bengals aren’t happy…

I don't disagree with her. The simplest, most consistent, and most intuitive situation was to always call it a no contest and go by win percentage. But there was too much backlash about it punishing Buffalo for experiencing a tragedy, so they got complicated with it.

• Like 1