OL Talk

nicfre2011

"With 7-foot-5 reach & light feet like this, how are rushers supposed to get around Ohio State’s Dawand Jones? We’ve had numerous NFL scouts tell us he’s a better version of Chiefs 4x Pro Bowler Orlando Brown Jr. (and we agree). Sounds like 1st rounder." - tweet by Jim Nagy 2-16-23

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

"With 7-foot-5 reach & light feet like this, how are rushers supposed to get around Ohio State’s Dawand Jones? We’ve had numerous NFL scouts tell us he’s a better version of Chiefs 4x Pro Bowler Orlando Brown Jr. (and we agree). Sounds like 1st rounder." - tweet by Jim Nagy 2-16-23

Thoughts?

Overreaction. Jones is a first rounder, but barely, and it’s all because of potential. He’s far from a finished product, and is likely just a right tackle.

Overreaches on blocks like a madman.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Overreaction. Jones is a first rounder, but barely, and it’s all because of potential. He’s far from a finished product, and is likely just a right tackle.

Overreaches on blocks like a madman.

Yeah, but so do all of the OT prospects aside from Skoronski, who has his own issues (meh physical tools). I think Jones is a better pass blocker than people give him credit for. He’s gigantic and you have to go a long way to get the edge. As you stated, he stops his feet a lot and leans to punch, leaving him vulnerable to inside counters. When he’s patient in his sets, he’s OT1.

22 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah, but so do all of the OT prospects aside from Skoronski, who has his own issues (meh physical tools). I think Jones is a better pass blocker than people give him credit for. He’s gigantic and you have to go a long way to get the edge. As you stated, he stops his feet a lot and leans to punch, leaving him vulnerable to inside counters. When he’s patient in his sets, he’s OT1.

I would add, it seems like most of his "weaknesses" are things that can be improved with position coaching, no? Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but it seems like the foundation is there with Jones...and he has enough positives to work with while mitigating or eliminating his negatives.

4 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I would add, it seems like most of his "weaknesses" are things that can be improved with position coaching, no? Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but it seems like the foundation is there with Jones...and he has enough positives to work with while mitigating or eliminating his negatives.

Yes. My only worry is long term injuries. These giants always break down quickly it seems. I don’t want to assume he will have a short career, but it’s something to consider. 

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yes. My only worry is long term injuries. These giants always break down quickly it seems. I don’t want to assume he will have a short career, but it’s something to consider. 

That is why Jones needs to lose some weight.  Flozel Adams was a huge man but had a long career.  He played around 350.  Max Starks was also a huge man playing at 350-360.  Played LT for a long time and was pretty good.

21 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

As a Chiefs fan, if a player like Orlando Brown Jr., who has a historically bad athletic profile, can hold down the fort at LT...not sure why Jones couldn't atleast be considered (of course switching sides isn't as easy as it sounds). I just am not comfortable with the idea of paying Brown $22+ million per year on a long term contract while still enduring year-in and year-out a half-season of poor play before he "starts to put it together" in the second half of the season. Not to mention the blocking scheme still giving OBJ help on the left side more than you would expect from a "top-tier" LT. PFF sure does seem to love him though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

As a Chiefs fan, if a player like Orlando Brown Jr., who has a historically bad athletic profile, can hold down the fort at LT...not sure why Jones couldn't atleast be considered (of course switching sides isn't as easy as it sounds). I just am not comfortable with the idea of paying Brown $22+ million per year on a long term contract while still enduring year-in and year-out a half-season of poor play before he "starts to put it together" in the second half of the season. Not to mention the blocking scheme still giving OBJ help on the left side more than you would expect from a "top-tier" LT. PFF sure does seem to love him though.

D. Jones should be long gone by the Chiefs selection so no point even considering that.  Sure he might be able to play LT but just like Orlando Brown Jr he is better at RT.  Mind you Orlando Brown Jr played pretty damn well in the Super Bowl I thought, and they allowed zero sacks to the team with the 3rd most regular season sacks in NFL history and ran the ball pretty well also.  Sure at times he struggled but they did win the Super Bowl, getting his replacement is not that simple.

They are getting by since Humphrey and T. Smith are on rookie contracts.  But their best bet is Raiqwon O'Neal 1st round or Darnell Wright, then maybe get another OL in the 2nd or 3rd and hope one of them hits.

Still if they lose Brown Jr, Wylie and Allegretti that will not be that simple to replace.  Especially Wylie and Allegretti who have filled in very well at times when they had injuries and Allegretti is getting paid very little money.  But they are smart with who they bring in and do draft really well.  

This is who I have the Chiefs getting currently, possibly Keion White I have way too low but we will see how he works out athletically which apparently is going to be pretty impressive.  They should be able to fill a lot of holes if they hit in the draft.

1st
32. Kansas City Chiefs: Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS SR OT

2nd
64. Kansas City Chiefs: Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE

3rd
96. Kansas City Chiefs: Carter Warren Pitt RS SR OT

4th
123. Kansas City Chiefs (via Miami): Jonathan Mingo Ole Miss SR WR
135. Kansas City Chiefs: KT Leveston Kansas State RS SR OT/OG

5th
169. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Ezeike UCLA SR TE

6th
198. Kansas City Chiefs (via Miami Dolphins): Jalen Redmond Oklahoma RS JR DT
210. Kansas City Chiefs: Tavius Robinson Ole Miss SR DE
*218. Kansas City Chiefs: Jaxon Player Baylor SR DT
*220. Kansas City Chiefs: Dax Hollifield Virginia Tech RS SR ILB

7th
228. Kansas City Chiefs (via Atlanta Falcons): Reese Taylor Purdue SR CB
252. Kansas City Chiefs: Sean Clifford Penn State RS SR QB
*258. Kansas City Chiefs. Keidron Smith Kentucky RS SR CB

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Still if they lose Brown Jr, Wylie and Allegretti that will not be that simple to replace.  Especially Wylie and Allegretti who have filled in very well at times when they had injuries and Allegretti is getting paid very little money.  But they are smart with who they bring in and do draft really well. 

1st
32. Kansas City Chiefs: Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS SR OT

Ozzy,

You very well may be right about Jones going higher. I was really just comparing OBJ and Jones from a LT perspective. I have to give you credit, you are the only person in any capacity that has mentioned Raiqwon O'Neal. I am really curious to hear more about him. I looked up his UCLA bio...6'-4" 305 lbs. according to their website. I know you were going to look into Matthew Bergeron from Syracuse...have you had a chance yet?

I think the Chiefs will push to re-sign Wylie, especially if OBJ's contract demands are not in line with what the team is looking to commit. IF they re-sign OBJ and Wylie is in demand on the FA market, I definitely could see them going OT early (first 3 rounds). I would love to see Lucas Niang actually show something, but IMO time is running out for him. I could also see Allegretti re-signed as a valuable interior swing blocker.

41 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Ozzy,

You very well may be right about Jones going higher. I was really just comparing OBJ and Jones from a LT perspective. I have to give you credit, you are the only person in any capacity that has mentioned Raiqwon O'Neal. I am really curious to hear more about him. I looked up his UCLA bio...6'-4" 305 lbs. according to their website. I know you were going to look into Matthew Bergeron from Syracuse...have you had a chance yet?

I think the Chiefs will push to re-sign Wylie, especially if OBJ's contract demands are not in line with what the team is looking to commit. IF they re-sign OBJ and Wylie is in demand on the FA market, I definitely could see them going OT early (first 3 rounds). I would love to see Lucas Niang actually show something, but IMO time is running out for him. I could also see Allegretti re-signed as a valuable interior swing blocker.

Maybe I am wrong about O'Neal, maybe Duncan is that guy depending on how he works out at the combine.  Strong dude who could rise, O'Neal I did like on UCLA and that team ran the ball great and he was a huge reason why they ran the ball great.  I think he could be a solid pro and was one of the better LTs in the nation I thought considering how productive that offense was.  

I have not watched Bergeron yet, either way would be hard to see the Chiefs not taking a OT considering they will lose one if not both of them.  Just who will that guy be.  The top guys should all be gone by then, but for the Chiefs I am sure they hope Darnell Wright falls to them because he could be a solid player at OT or OG.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe I am wrong about O'Neal, maybe Duncan is that guy depending on how he works out at the combine.  Strong dude who could rise, O'Neal I did like on UCLA and that team ran the ball great and he was a huge reason why they ran the ball great.  I think he could be a solid pro and was one of the better LTs in the nation I thought considering how productive that offense was.  

I have not watched Bergeron yet, either way would be hard to see the Chiefs not taking a OT considering they will lose one if not both of them.  Just who will that guy be.  The top guys should all be gone by then, but for the Chiefs I am sure they hope Darnell Wright falls to them because he could be a solid player at OT or OG.  

I agree, free agency and who we do/do not retain, IMO will definitely be a tell for the draft. This past draft class has proven, if nothing else, that the coaching staff will give rookies significant snaps...which seems to be a big departure from traditionally how Andy Reid uses young players. With the precedent being set that if you show enough you will have a shot at playing time....that could allow us to target positions of need by selecting players that are "field ready" in the early rounds...and continue to take flyers on prospects in later rounds (high end athletic profiles).

Another intriguing prospect is Blake Freeland. His height could end up being an issue, but he is another prospect that moves well for his size.

Edited by nicfre2011