OL Talk

nicfre2011

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Daniel Jeremiah on his podcast said Darnell Wright could be the first lineman off the board after strong showings at the Combine and Senior Bowl.

I like him and he should be a 1st rounder, but I would be very surprised he would be picked ahead of Broderick Jones, Paris Johnson Jr, Peter Skoronski and even Dawand Jones.

I did not think he worked out that well at the combine, sure it was not awful but not eye catching I did not find.  And guys like Paris and Broderick who could play LT will take priority, not sure Wright is a LT like those two could be.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I did not think he worked out that well at the combine, sure it was not awful but not eye catching I did not find.  And guys like Paris and Broderick who could play LT will take priority, not sure Wright is a LT like those two could be.  

Have to disagree there, I thought he moved really well - especially for a dude carrying 330. 

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Have to disagree there, I thought he moved really well - especially for a dude carrying 330. 

Sure he moved well but he worked out better than any OT at the combine?  Not so sure about that one.  

After finally watching the combine, my money for first OT off the board is on Broderick Jones.  Looked great in the mirror drill, measured wonderfully, and yeah, he's a certified freak.

It's him or Paris.  I still have Paris as OT1, but Broderick definitely moved up IMO.

I love Wright and all (I am a Vols fan), but I don't know if he's viable at LT.  He's a plug and play RT, but that's just not worth as much.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Daniel said:

After finally watching the combine, my money for first OT off the board is on Broderick Jones.  Looked great in the mirror drill, measured wonderfully, and yeah, he's a certified freak.

It's him or Paris.  I still have Paris as OT1, but Broderick definitely moved up IMO.

I love Wright and all (I am a Vols fan), but I don't know if he's viable at LT.  He's a plug and play RT, but that's just not worth as much.

This was mentioned, and I think it's a great point, but Broderick's base is much wider than Paris's and I think that will help him handle power more effectively.  Paris is freaky long and I think both will be franchise LTs.

Darnell I still view as a pure RT, and while a guy like Wirfs shows how impactful that can be, I don't think Darnell is that good.  I think he goes in the 20-28 range after Paris and Broderick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Ya'll don't like Bergeron? I think he can basically play any position besides C.

I really like him, another player whose combine had be going back to the tape. He’s in that cluster of tackles who will fly off at the end of the first and beginning of the second.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

As a Raider fan I'm wanting Broderick Jones and would take him at 7 if no trade down. It's between Jones and CB Gonzalez. I'd start Jones at RT and one day replace Miller at LT. If Dawand Jones slipped to our 2nd I'd double dip and maybe put Broderick at LG next to Miller and Parham if he's moved to C. Might even draft a C in the 3rd or later and fix the Oline moving forward. If Brady saw that line maybe he'd come out of retirement. lol

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Ya'll don't like Bergeron? I think he can basically play any position besides C.

I like Bergeron, but I don't love Bergeron.  I didn't watch the Senior Bowl practices, but I know he supposedly did well there.  His combine footage looked like his game tape to me: pretty good OT prospect that can play either side, but doesn't look like he'll be great at either.  I thought he gave up too much ground to strong Edges with regularity, and he wasn't super athletic in the tests or smooth in the drills.

I like him in the second/third range.

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

This was mentioned, and I think it's a great point, but Broderick's base is much wider than Paris's and I think that will help him handle power more effectively.  Paris is freaky long and I think both will be franchise LTs.

Perhaps so. I would also personally argue that Paris started 13 games at OG his sophomore year and more or less demonstrated the ability to be pretty sound and a bit of a mauler at the point of attack. I think scheme wise at OSU, they're a pretty predictable/classic NFL style in terms of a spread running attack, where most of your power running plays come from the right side (Hi Dewand Jones) with more finesse to the left.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Perhaps so. I would also personally argue that Paris started 13 games at OG his sophomore year and more or less demonstrated the ability to be pretty sound and a bit of a mauler at the point of attack. I think scheme wise at OSU, they're a pretty predictable/classic NFL style in terms of a spread running attack, where most of your power running plays come from the right side (Hi Dewand Jones) with more finesse to the left.

Thats a good point and a better barometer.  He just looked very narrow in the combine drills.  But tape over combine.