OL Talk

nicfre2011

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

I love it.

Seriously? Why? Man I rewatched the top prospects again and I think I’d just take Dawand in all honesty, at least he’s a barrier to get through. Paris looks real stiff at times and might be better off inside. Broderick is a man athletic mess of technique. Skoronski has length issues which don’t always play out as you’d expect, but might be a guard. Darnell Wright has issues at the second level, could be decent in a power scheme though.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Seriously? Why? Man I rewatched the top prospects again and I think I’d just take Dawand in all honesty, at least he’s a barrier to get through. Paris looks real stiff at times and might be better off inside. Broderick is a man athletic mess of technique. Skoronski has length issues which don’t always play out as you’d expect, but might be a guard. Darnell Wright has issues at the second level, could be decent in a power scheme though.

@Daniel - Not trying to be an idiot, just looking for hope as the Pats needs one so bad

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

For the Pats specifically, I think they will see this as a pretty good OL draft: 

• If Skoronski is there at 14, he's the guy.. they will love him imo. I don't think they will care about arm length, I remember Scar calling those measurement barriers stupid multiple times in the past. I think they will be happy if he measures slightly small because they will feel like the smartest guys in the room taking him at 14 or even trading back a few picks to take him and still put him at LT
  • If all 3 OT's are gone and top 2 CB's are gone.. i totally expect them to try and trade back into the mid 20's and take either Anton Harrison (Young, can develop behind Brown for a year) or Dawand Jones ( I think they play him at RT year 1 then move him to LT year 2) 
  • If they go CB RD1 I think they take Jaelyn Duncan RD2, likely in a trade back and have him sit behind Brown for a year
  • Tyler Steen is a wild card too .. I could see them having him as great value in the 3rd/4th and falling in love. I think he could play RT day 1 and be ok
  • Late day 3 guys I think they consider for RT: McClendon Curtis, TJ Bass, and Dalton Wagner .. if they are confident Klemm can coach guys up I can see them trying to have a day 3 RT compete with Stueber and McDermott

All depends on if they go after a RT in free agency, which I highly doubt.. but they have plenty of options imo. Not super star OL imo, all have concerns.. but anything is an improvement over last season. 

I have this strange feeling we end up seeing an Oklahoma Patriots draft.. Anton Harrison late 1st, Marvin Mims in the 3rd/4th, and Eric Gray in the 4th/5th. 

This isn't even bring up that I think they can find David Andrews replacement and sit him for a year on day 3. I fully expect 2-3 OL drafted by the Patriots. 

10 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

For the Pats specifically, I think they will see this as a pretty good OL draft: 

• If Skoronski is there at 14, he's the guy.. they will love him imo. I don't think they will care about arm length, I remember Scar calling those measurement barriers stupid multiple times in the past. I think they will be happy if he measures slightly small because they will feel like the smartest guys in the room taking him at 14 or even trading back a few picks to take him and still put him at LT
  • If all 3 OT's are gone and top 2 CB's are gone.. i totally expect them to try and trade back into the mid 20's and take either Anton Harrison (Young, can develop behind Brown for a year) or Dawand Jones ( I think they play him at RT year 1 then move him to LT year 2) 
  • If they go CB RD1 I think they take Jaelyn Duncan RD2, likely in a trade back and have him sit behind Brown for a year
  • Tyler Steen is a wild card too .. I could see them having him as great value in the 3rd/4th and falling in love. I think he could play RT day 1 and be ok
  • Late day 3 guys I think they consider for RT: McClendon Curtis, TJ Bass, and Dalton Wagner .. if they are confident Klemm can coach guys up I can see them trying to have a day 3 RT compete with Stueber and McDermott

All depends on if they go after a RT in free agency, which I highly doubt.. but they have plenty of options imo. Not super star OL imo, all have concerns.. but anything is an improvement over last season. 

I have this strange feeling we end up seeing an Oklahoma Patriots draft.. Anton Harrison late 1st, Marvin Mims in the 3rd/4th, and Eric Gray in the 4th/5th. 

This isn't even bring up that I think they can find David Andrews replacement and sit him for a year on day 3. I fully expect 2-3 OL drafted by the Patriots. 

This is assuming the tackle class is good at the top - but it's not what I'm seeing!

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think all 3 of those dudes are locks to be playing G in the NFL.

I would normally agree with you, but the Patriots don't care about measurements from what I've seen over the years. Totally forgot Cody Mauch, they are going to love him too and I think they would keep him at RT. 

Who would have thought they would throw Wynn at LT? Onwenu played RT too

Edited by Crimmage

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Short answer is depth of quality prospects.  Lack of blue chips, but I rarely get excited for those unless my team has a top 5 pick.

I'm higher on a lot of the tackles than many are, but mainly, there are just a lot of good prospects.  Last year (before Ikey blew up at the combine), there was Neal, Cross, and then a pretty sizable gap.  Paris is above Cross in my estimation.  Admittedly, I don't know if there's another tackle in this class as good as Cross was, but there are a lot that I have marked at around the same level as the next best tackle from that class (Smith), and significantly higher than the next one after that (Lucas): Harrison, Broderick, and Wright.  All have stuff to work on, but that's pretty normal for tackles.

Harrison and Wright are big, powerful tackles who held up extremely well in the most important aspect of playing tackle: guarding the edge.  The two of them and Broderick were all tested against very, very good Edge rushers.  Now I know that's not 1 to 1 in the NFL, but it's a dang good start.  Jones doesn't have their size, but he looks like he's extremely athletic, and he and Wright have been top level players through high school and college.  Harrison was a four star, but he's also extremely young, just turning 21 this month.

Then there are a lot of intriguing depth guys.  I think Hayes from Michigan and Bergeron from Syracuse are pretty good, though they're not the quality of Lucas, they're better than I had Petit-Frere marked.  And Dawand Jones and Blake Freeland are like custom built tackles that need a lot of refining, but could develop into excellent players.

Then there's Jaelyn Duncan, Tyler Steen, and Peter Skoronski.  I'm low on them, but others aren't, and even if I am low on them, we're pretty deep in the class at this point.  And I haven't even gotten into the really depth depth guys, like the other tackle from Georgia, the Miami kid, the UNC kid, etc.

I just think there are a lot of places to go for potential tackles of at least good quality in this class, especially as compared to last year's.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 2:09 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Any thoughts on Wanya Morris from Oklahoma as a prospect?

I think his skill-set translates better to OG, particularly for a run heavy team like Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Browns, Titans, Steelers, Ravens, or 49ers, but he has OT size/length at basically 6'5" 317 with 35 3/8" arms. I need to see his footwork drills, and then I'd figure out if I play him at RT or OG. He has the mentality you look for in an OL. He's not Trevor Penning, but he can be nasty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I would normally agree with you, but the Patriots don't care about measurements from what I've seen over the years. Totally forgot Cody Mauch, they are going to love him too and I think they would keep him at RT. 

Who would have thought they would throw Wynn at LT? Onwenu played RT too

Stay away from Cody Mauch. He belongs in Green and Gold for life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:12 PM, Daniel said:

And Dawand Jones and Blake Freeland are like custom built tackles that need a lot of refining, but could develop into excellent players.

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Not a big fan, but history tells us OL guys who test this well get drafted high

Seriously, if you went to a lab and said I'm gonna compile the ideal left and right tackles for today's league, you would get these two.

They still need to be taught how to play the position, but it doesn't get more prototypical.