OL Talk

nicfre2011

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't know how you're gonna say "this class is bad outside the top 15" if you haven't looked at the prospects, man.

I guess I feel more strongly about Johnson.  I have him much better than Cross, as a prospect.  Ikey and Neal are higher than anyone in this class, but like I said, Johnson is higher than Cross was for me, Broderick, yeah, probably about there, and Harrison I have as better than Penning.  Penning was a hype train based on tough guy blocks after the whistle, and a great athletic score.  Harrison looks the part on the field.  Lucas was my next highest, but I'd take Wright over him.  Raimann after that, and he was older.  I don't remember much after him, as far as decent prospects that didn't just emerge during the combine.  But there's still lots of guys in this class I like as Day 2 picks, like Freeland, Hayes, Jones, Steen, and Bergeron.  Plus deeper potential gems like Wanya Morris, and highly rated guys I don't even like like Duncan.

I never said that, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.  That was me being critical of last year's OT class.  Last year's class was very top heavy, and it lacked depth in the latter part of the draft.  Only 3 OL were taken in R2, and 2 of them were pure IOL (Jurgens and Ingram).

On 1/26/2023 at 8:56 AM, Daniel said:

What are yall's thoughts on Braden Daniels.  I can't make sense of how different his tape is.

I don’t think he’ll survive at OT. Too many deficiencies. Has some natural power, but he gets too high to utilize it regularly. Decent feet. Doesn’t excel at reach blocks, but covers ground in his kick slide adequately. Also needs work on his punch to land it more efficiently. Looks pretty susceptible to inside counters from more athletic ends. Really struggled vs Florida. Possibly a move to Guard gives him a better shot at long term success. My take. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Thorn has Wright as OT3 in this class

I have OT4, but it's nice to see the consensus catching up to what should be pretty readily apparent.

But speaking of highly ranked OTs, I just straight up don't see it in Peter Skoronski.  I've watched him against Ohio St, and was ready to reevaluate, since the consensus was that he's great, and it's just his arms.  After all, Ohio St does have two pass rushers who use their length effectively, so I watched him against Penn State.  And after seeing that, I don't think he really belongs in first round conversation.

Adisa Isaac absolutely kicked his *** that game.  Isaac is good, but he's not so good that he should be able to have his way with a top level tackle.  And Isaac wasn't the only one.  Skoronski let guys stunt to the inside right past him like three times in that game alone.  Multiple instances of defenders easily disengaging, one time where he got Isaac on the ground with his block (mostly Isaac tripping), but he retreated so far back that Isaac literally got off the ground, swam past him, and got to the QB anyway.

And he's not like running defenders way back to clear out run blocks or pancaking guys, or even just holding ground in pass blocking consistently.

He's OT6 for me, and he could very easily be OT7 if Ryan Hayes shows improved footwork at the combine.

• Like 1

Been rewatching a lot of OLs today, and man, I'm not sure I feel as strongly about Broderick Jones as I used to.  Specifically, I also rewatched a lot of Anton Harrison, and I'm not sure I don't like Harrison more than Jones.  Harrison just stonewalled Felix Anudike-Uzomah in the K State game and held up against Dylan Horton in the TCU game just as well.  Harrison is clearly a more powerful run blocker, and looks like he's got great length and size (where Jones might be a little small), and gave up only one sack himself.

And man, Harrison just mauls guys.

I'm really thinking he might be OT2 for me now.  But it's really close.

• Like 1

Got around to scouting Alex Forsyth last night. I really like him. Quick out of the gate and takes maybe the best angles of any interior in this class out in space, 2nd level, etc.

Didn’t look soft either. Watched a couple games including 2021 at OSU.

What am I missing though? Because he’s not ranked very high.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 12:36 PM, Daniel said:

Been rewatching a lot of OLs today, and man, I'm not sure I feel as strongly about Broderick Jones as I used to.  Specifically, I also rewatched a lot of Anton Harrison, and I'm not sure I don't like Harrison more than Jones.  Harrison just stonewalled Felix Anudike-Uzomah in the K State game and held up against Dylan Horton in the TCU game just as well.  Harrison is clearly a more powerful run blocker, and looks like he's got great length and size (where Jones might be a little small), and gave up only one sack himself.

And man, Harrison just mauls guys.

I'm really thinking he might be OT2 for me now.  But it's really close.

I too have become pretty high on Harrison