OL Talk

nicfre2011

I don't follow the draft much but I would like to know who is number 58 RT destroying  Bama's # 31 ???  He beating the snot out of him!!!!  I heard that #31 is real good!!!!!! Well  if that's the case, I would think he might be a good one.  It a gimmick offense, really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It looks like I block you and you can't do JacK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkM9WKFEnDU

To the KC fan.

Do cartwheel if they pick Wright.  Video,  looks like a HS SR going up against a freshman!!!  Also watch the film and see him collapses the whole right side of their defense. 

Game tapes don't lie. Here it is, you judge.

Jalin Hyatt

Who is the WR that scares the death out of DBs. 

Who the guy that can change a defense without catching a ball.

Who's the guy that scored 5 TDs on Bama DBs ... that will be drafted by the 3rd RD.

Who the WR that catches the ball with his hands easily.

Just think if he transferred like ( same type of player ) Jameson Williams who's route tree is SCORE !!!!!!!

On 1/16/2023 at 8:31 AM, Ozzy said:

The dude allowed zero sacks this past season as a RS SOPH.  Sure he has work to do but his upside is higher than any OT in the draft.  Sure he could fall out of the top 15 or so but would be a steal in the late 1st round.  

I thought "having work to do" gets you drafted - not a first round pick lol. Duncan is going first round. All prospects have work to do to be high level starters. Not every university is equipped to develop guys at an NFL level 

7 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I thought "having work to do" gets you drafted - not a first round pick lol. Duncan is going first round. All prospects have work to do to be high level starters. Not every university is equipped to develop guys at an NFL level 

I would absolutely not take Duncan over any of these guys.  No way and that alone could drop him well out of the 1st round.

Broderick Jones Georgia RS SOPH
Peter Skoronski Northwestern JR
Dawand Jones Ohio State
Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS
Darnell Wright Tennessee

Not sure I would take him over these guys, honestly I think he might transition to guard, same with Palczewski and possibly Ojukwu.  Who knows maybe Wright and Skoronski transition to guard also.

Alex Palczewski Illinois
Braeden Daniels Utah RS JR
John Ojukwu Boise State RS
Asim Richards UNC
Tyler Steen Alabama RS
Carter Warren Pitt RS

Duncan is promising but is only really a RT if he is going to play tackle and I feel he could be a guard and might be better a guard.  Will see how he works out but all depends, if a team wants a LT no way they look at Duncan for that, they would look at B. Jones, O'Neal, Richards, Steen and maybe Daniels for a LT spot as the top ones potentially.  

Either way if you are comparing the upside and top end talent of Broderick Jones and Jaelyn Duncan.  Jones is in every way a more talented player with much higher upside, could argue if one is looking at a tackle Jones's teammate Warren McClendon might be right there as a tackle prospect with Duncan as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I would absolutely not take Duncan over any of these guys.  No way and that alone could drop him well out of the 1st round.

Broderick Jones Georgia RS SOPH
Dawand Jones Ohio State
Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS
Darnell Wright Tennessee

Not sure I would take him over these guys, honestly I think he might transition to guard, same with Palczewski and possibly Ojukwu.  Who knows maybe Wright and Skoronski transition to guard also.

Alex Palczewski Illinois
Braeden Daniels Utah RS JR
Asim Richards UNC
Tyler Steen Alabama RS
Carter Warren Pitt RS

Duncan is promising but is only really a RT if he is going to play tackle and I feel he could be a guard and might be better a guard.  Will see how he works out but all depends, if a team wants a LT no way they look at Duncan for that, they would look at B. Jones, O'Neal, Richards, Steen and maybe Daniels for a LT spot as the top ones potentially.  

Either way if you are comparing the upside and top end talent of Broderick Jones and Jaelyn Duncan.  Jones is in every way a more talented player with much higher upside, could argue if one is looking at a tackle Jones's teammate Warren McClendon might be right there as a tackle prospect with Duncan as well.

Ozzy,

Not sure if you talked about him previously or not but what are your thoughts on Blake Freeland? I noticed he wasn't mentioned in your post above.

38 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Ozzy,

Not sure if you talked about him previously or not but what are your thoughts on Blake Freeland? I noticed he wasn't mentioned in your post above.

I need to watch him more honestly, good size of course but depends on how he works out.  I remember Brady Christensen was a workout warrior a few years back with similar hype but was only a 3rd round pick.  Freeland I do need to watch more of no question, I would take Alt or Fashanu over any of the tackles in this class potentially.  Main reason is I think Skornoski might be more a guard in the league, same with Paris Johnson possibly, Darnell Wright etc.  In terms of size and athletic ability Dawand Jones is super interesting, if he works out well at the combine he could really climb up the boards, right now should be a lock 1st rounder but could go high if he runs well at that massive size.  

The class is really weak after the first 15 picks. The intriguing later round OTs all went back. I like Blake Freeland, but he’s probably gonna get overdrafted given this class. Zion Nelson has potential, but he’s been a horrid disappointment to this point.

I like Nelson from Wisconsin, but pretty sure he went back. And he’s not ready to play any time soon neways. 

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I need to watch him more honestly, good size of course but depends on how he works out.  I remember Brady Christensen was a workout warrior a few years back with similar hype but was only a 3rd round pick.  Freeland I do need to watch more of no question, I would take Alt or Fashanu over any of the tackles in this class potentially.  Main reason is I think Skornoski might be more a guard in the league, same with Paris Johnson possibly, Darnell Wright etc.  In terms of size and athletic ability Dawand Jones is super interesting, if he works out well at the combine he could really climb up the boards, right now should be a lock 1st rounder but could go high if he runs well at that massive size.  

Let me know what you think when you get a chance to take a closer look.

Here is some info:

https://kslsports.com/497698/blake-freeland-nfl-draft-farewell-byu-football-offensive-line/

Freeland started in 41 games at offensive tackle for BYU. From 2019 to 2020, he lined up at right tackle. In the final two seasons of his collegiate career, he played at left tackle in replace of Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Brady Christensen.

During his four seasons as an offensive lineman, Freeland allowed only two sacks in his 41 career starts. In 2022, Freeland was the second highest-graded offensive tackle behind only Notre Dame’s Joe Alt by Pro Football Focus.

Here is his profootballnetwork profile:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/blake-freeland-ot-byu-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The class is really weak after the first 15 picks. The intriguing later round OTs all went back. I like Blake Freeland, but he’s probably gonna get overdrafted given this class. Zion Nelson has potential, but he’s been a horrid disappointment to this point.

I like Nelson from Wisconsin, but pretty sure he went back. And he’s not ready to play any time soon neways. 

You mean after the first 15 tackles taken?  If you go top 15 tackles it is not an awful group and has solid depth top to bottom.

It is moderately deep just not a ton of super high end talent but with additions of Broderick Jones it helps the class overall, same with Braeden Daniels and Asim Richards.  

Late round Jazston Turnetine has a lot of upside and could be a steal 6th or 7th rounder.  Dalton Wagner I think has potential, Wanya Morris has a ton of potential as well, I really like him as a young player on Tennessee.  Also have Alfred Edwards who is a strong big dude and Kadeem Telfort who is massive.  A few interesting UCF OL but not sure they all declared, Samuel Jackson and Ryan Swoboda.  KT leveston is interesting as well but I think he will be a guard in the NFL.

All of these tackles in college for the most part might end up at guard in the NFL, especially Mauch, Broeker and Ojukwu.  Lorenz Metz is a guard who has tons of upside as a late rounder, same with Dillon Gibbons who is super high end character.  

Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State JR
Darnell Wright Tennessee
Cody Mauch NDSU
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland RS
Ryan Hayes Michigan RS
Nick Broeker Ole Miss

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

You mean after the first 15 tackles taken?  If you go top 15 tackles it is not an awful group and has solid depth top to bottom.

It is moderately deep just not a ton of super high end talent but with additions of Broderick Jones it helps the class overall, same with Braeden Daniels and Asim Richards.  

Late round Jazston Turnetine has a lot of upside and could be a steal 6th or 7th rounder.  Dalton Wagner I think has potential, Wanya Morris has a ton of potential as well, I really like him as a young player on Tennessee.  Also have Alfred Edwards who is a strong big dude and Kadeem Telfort who is massive.  A few interesting UCF OL but not sure they all declared, Samuel Jackson and Ryan Swoboda.  KT leveston is interesting as well but I think he will be a guard in the NFL.

All of these tackles in college for the most part might end up at guard in the NFL, especially Mauch, Broeker and Ojukwu.  Lorenz Metz is a guard who has tons of upside as a late rounder, same with Dillon Gibbons who is super high end character.  

Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State JR
Darnell Wright Tennessee
Cody Mauch NDSU
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland RS
Ryan Hayes Michigan RS
Nick Broeker Ole Miss

After the first 15 actual picks in the draft. Broderick Jones, Peter Skoronski, and Paris Johnson are all good. After that, I see very little of intrigue. 

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

After the first 15 actual picks in the draft. Broderick Jones, Peter Skoronski, and Paris Johnson are all good. After that, I see very little of intrigue. 

I don’t know what class you’re watching, but especially at OL, this class is way, way better than last year’s.

And it’s mostly because of the talent outside the top few.

Edited by Daniel

I do like the C class a lot.

Olu from Michigan
Schmitz from Minnesota
Patterson from ND
Gibson from NC State
Stenberg from Arkansas

I expect all of them to be good starting C's.

Give Cedrice Paillant a look. He's got some intriguing skills for a G prospect. He could maybe even play some C down the line. He's a mauler and in a very weak OG class (IMO), he could be a riser.

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I do like the C class a lot.

Olu from Michigan
Schmitz from Minnesota
Patterson from ND
Gibson from NC State
Stenberg from Arkansas

I expect all of them to be good starting C's.

Give Cedrice Paillant a look. He's got some intriguing skills for a G prospect. He could maybe even play some C down the line. He's a mauler and in a very weak OG class (IMO), he could be a riser.

Yeah it is a great center class, also have these three guys as well and Wypler / Forsyth are both very good and could be steals more in the middle rounds but Wypler could go in the 2nd potentially, I have him over Stromberg at the moment.  

Luke Wypler Ohio State 
Alex Forsyth Oregon
Juice Scruggs Penn State 

Still the guard versatility and experience of Patterson to me puts him ahead of them all, Olu could play guard and others could also but Patterson has been great at guard and center.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Luke Wypler Ohio State 
Alex Forsyth Oregon
Juice Scruggs Penn State 

I've heard good things. Haven't really studied these dudes yet. From what I hear, Wypler is the best-in-class. I think it'd be pretty hard to beat Schmitz though--he's so good on tape despite having no real traits and being an older rookie.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:53 AM, Daniel said:

I don’t know what class you’re watching, but especially at OL, this class is way, way better than last year’s.

And it’s mostly because of the talent outside the top few.

If you're talking about depth, sure.  But last year's top OTs are better than this year's.  Ikem Ekwonu and Evan Neal would be OT1 in this year's class.  Personally, I'd have Peter Skoronski as OT3 if you're combining the two classes.  I've got Charles Cross, Paris Johnson, and Broderick Jones in the same tier.  Anton Harrison and Trevor Penning are in the same tier, but I think the opposite ways on them.  I'm higher on Harrison's ability as a pass protector, and I think Penning had a higher floor as a road-graver RT.  I haven't spent too much time down the rest of the OL board, but last year's OT class wasn't overly deep.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you're talking about depth, sure.  But last year's top OTs are better than this year's.  Ikem Ekwonu and Evan Neal would be OT1 in this year's class.  Personally, I'd have Peter Skoronski as OT3 if you're combining the two classes.  I've got Charles Cross, Paris Johnson, and Broderick Jones in the same tier.  Anton Harrison and Trevor Penning are in the same tier, but I think the opposite ways on them.  I'm higher on Harrison's ability as a pass protector, and I think Penning had a higher floor as a road-graver RT.  I haven't spent too much time down the rest of the OL board, but last year's OT class wasn't overly deep.

I don't know how you're gonna say "this class is bad outside the top 15" if you haven't looked at the prospects, man.

I guess I feel more strongly about Johnson.  I have him much better than Cross, as a prospect.  Ikey and Neal are higher than anyone in this class, but like I said, Johnson is higher than Cross was for me, Broderick, yeah, probably about there, and Harrison I have as better than Penning.  Penning was a hype train based on tough guy blocks after the whistle, and a great athletic score.  Harrison looks the part on the field.  Lucas was my next highest, but I'd take Wright over him.  Raimann after that, and he was older.  I don't remember much after him, as far as decent prospects that didn't just emerge during the combine.  But there's still lots of guys in this class I like as Day 2 picks, like Freeland, Hayes, Jones, Steen, and Bergeron.  Plus deeper potential gems like Wanya Morris, and highly rated guys I don't even like like Duncan.