OL Talk

nicfre2011

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My recollection is that he had a degenerative work ethic issue after getting paid.

Think it was a bit of both.   He came into the league with back issues also.  But hard to tell if some of if it was played out,  he did have work ethic issues. 

Edited by RedGold

Daniel (FF poster, not Jeremiah) made this comment about Jaxson Kirkland in the underrated/overrated thread:

Jaxson Kirkland: Probably the single most underrated prospect in this class imo off the top of my head. I have him as one of the top IOLs and he can potentially play all five positions.

...it got me thinking of the value of having a "super-sub" lineman that can play multiple positions along an offensive line. Even if Kirkland never develops into a starter if he can provide roster spot flexibility. Thoughts on Kirkland and similar players?

Are there any other prospects that may not be top-tier but could provide value based on the projection of possibly backing up multiple positions along the offensive line?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Daniel (FF poster, not Jeremiah) made this comment about Jaxson Kirkland in the underrated/overrated thread:

Jaxson Kirkland: Probably the single most underrated prospect in this class imo off the top of my head. I have him as one of the top IOLs and he can potentially play all five positions.

...it got me thinking of the value of having a "super-sub" lineman that can play multiple positions along an offensive line. Even if Kirkland never develops into a starter if he can provide roster spot flexibility. Thoughts on Kirkland and similar players?

Are there any other prospects that may not be top-tier but could provide value based on the projection of possibly backing up multiple positions along the offensive line?

If I remember last year he was highly regarded as a LT ... but ended up going back to school because of an injury. He ended up playing guard all season because of injuries on the team and has since been a forgotten player by a lot of people. 

He seemed to do well at the shrine bowl. I believe he only played guard at the shrine bowl though. having a "super-sub" as you said is extremely valuable imo.. especially because I think he has the potential to be a starter still. 

On 2/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, nicfre2011 said:

"With 7-foot-5 reach & light feet like this, how are rushers supposed to get around Ohio State’s Dawand Jones? We’ve had numerous NFL scouts tell us he’s a better version of Chiefs 4x Pro Bowler Orlando Brown Jr. (and we agree). Sounds like 1st rounder." - tweet by Jim Nagy 2-16-23

Thoughts?

Orlando Brown was literally the best OL in CFB his final year at OU but fell because of his terrible combine numbers at 345 pounds. I'd imagine that Jones numbers will be on par, if not worse, than Browns as he was like 375 at the Senior Bowl. I wonder if that will cause him to fall?

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Orlando Brown was literally the best OL in CFB his final year at OU but fell because of his terrible combine numbers at 345 pounds. I'd imagine that Jones numbers will be on par, if not worse, than Browns as he was like 375 at the Senior Bowl. I wonder if that will cause him to fall?

Part of the combine is can you show enough work ethic to get into shape for this meat market interview.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I can pretty much tell you that Jones will be timing better than Brown in every area. Dawand Jones is a dancing bear. Great athlete for his size. His height makes him a bit lumbering when he tries to keep his hips sunk underneath him, but that won’t show in the pure testing #’s

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I can pretty much tell you that Jones will be timing better than Brown in every area. Dawand Jones is a dancing bear. Great athlete for his size. His height makes him a bit lumbering when he tries to keep his hips sunk underneath him, but that won’t show in the pure testing #’s

Watch film of Jones and then Wright to see the difference.  Jones can move.  Can find blockers on the move and engage them.  For someone of that size he moves well.  As I said before, his height makes him a waist bender at times.

Wright is horrible on the move.  Can't find or engage.  Looks like crap when he has to climb to the 2nd level.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, nicfre2011 said:

Cody Mauch is similar this year. I think he took reps at all 5 spots at Senior Bowl week.

But yeah, coaches have been talking about how much they love versatility forever. There's a reason for that.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Does anyone like this tackle class?

As a Raider fan I like it a lot. We need a RT and can also use a G or two depending where C/G Parham lands. So if we get a Tackle with short arms we first give him a shot at RT and if he fails G it is. 

33 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Did Zion Nelson declare? He’s got oodles of talent, but at the moment, sucks. Haven’t seen his name mentioned…dude was legitimately getting top 10 buzz a few years ago based on talent. Too bad he had to play in games…dropped his stock immensely. 

I don’t think he did in the end