OL Talk

nicfre2011

Just now, Jeezla said:

Freeland technically has more upside than Paris Johnson, but I don't think that means he gets drafted before him.

But where Freeland is now is pretty comparable to where Bergeron is now, while neither compare that closely to Paris today.  Ergo, Freeland, more upside.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

But where Freeland is now is pretty comparable to where Bergeron is now, while neither compare that closely to Paris today.  Ergo, Freeland, more upside.

I think Bergeron is clearly ahead of Freeland as a blocker right now. Footwork, leverage, hand placement, blocking at the 2nd level, Bergeron beats Freeland.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

I think Bergeron is clearly ahead of Freeland as a blocker right now. Footwork, leverage, hand placement, blocking at the 2nd level, Bergeron beats Freeland.

Freeland's upside is so far past Bergeron's that it's not even comparable.  And I don't think he's very far behind Bergeron right now.  One of his two biggest problems is strength and power.  Get him in an NFL weight room and that gets taken care of easily, and he's already ahead of Bergeron IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'd concede he's ahead and more refined, but I don't think it's that big a gap.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Freeland's upside is so far past Bergeron's that it's not even comparable.  And I don't think he's very far behind Bergeron right now.  One of his two biggest problems is strength and power.  Get him in an NFL weight room and that gets taken care of easily, and he's already ahead of Bergeron IMO.

BYU's S&C program isn't exactly considered elite

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Why is Freelands upside so much higher? Because he jumps higher and runs a little faster?

Bergeron is more agile and better balance. And he straight up looked better at the Senior Bowl, every single day.

If one of the Eagles OT's went down, and we had to start either Bergeron or Freeland their rookie year, I'd way rather start Bergeron.

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Why is Freelands upside so much higher? Because he jumps higher and runs a little faster?

Bergeron is more agile and better balance. And he straight up looked better at the Senior Bowl.

Freeland is like what you would get if you told a sci fi lab to genetically engineer a left tackle.  Super athletic, fits the prototype to a T, and a large part of his issues are things that are easily fixed.  I like Bergeron just fine, but it's not like his tape is just miles ahead of Freeland's either.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Freeland is like what you would get if you told a sci fi lab to genetically engineer a left tackle.  Super athletic, fits the prototype to a T, and a large part of his issues are things that are easily fixed.  I like Bergeron just fine, but it's not like his tape is just miles ahead of Freeland's either.

Freelands testing #'s in shorts are what you would get, but he looks considerably stiffer when you put pads on him and have him block other people. Bergeron still looks like the guy with a 7.37 3 cone and 4.66 shuttle with pads on. Also, 6'5" 318 is a better OT size than 6'8" 302, imo. If you're 6'8" you need to be at least 330. NFL defenders are going to walk him back to the QB.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Freelands testing #'s in shorts are what you would get, but he looks considerably stiffer when you put pads on him and have him block other people. Bergeron still looks like the guy with a 7.37 3 cone and 4.66 shuttle with pads on. Also, 6'5" 318 is a better OT size than 6'8" 302, imo. If you're 6'8" you need to be at least 330. NFL defenders are going to walk him back to the QB.

If Freeland isn't at least 320 by year 2, then the coaching staff has failed him.  He has the frame to add more good weight and strength.  BYU did him no favors in that department.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, goldfishwars said:

That is pretty solid, but Torrence did play at Lousiana three years against a pretty weak schedule usually.

Compared to Jarrett Patterson on Notre Dame, who had more pass blocking snaps than Torrence, and played multiple positions at times, and played much better competition, he allowed zero sacks over his five year career.  Would have been more snaps if he did not get hurt and miss some time like he did.

I do have Torrence going in the 1st round to the Cowboys, would be a great fit and fill a big need at OG for them.  If not that the Eagles could take him as well if they do not address OL earlier in the 1st round.  Patterson I have going to the Giants who are in a big need of a center unless they sign a free agent.  Sure he did not do great at the Senior Bowl or combine but I think Patterson is a very solid player.

Darnell Wright is climbing up my board. I haven’t really found many glaring weaknesses like some others have.

for example Paris has a technical floor that could get him buried. His arms start so wide, it’s like he’s going to hug the DE. A strong arm into his chest, and he’s in reverse at a rate of knots. That is coachable though. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Darnell Wright is climbing up my board. I haven’t really found many glaring weaknesses like some others have.

for example Paris has a technical floor that could get him buried. His arms start so wide, it’s like he’s going to hug the DE. A strong arm into his chest, and he’s in reverse at a rate of knots. That is coachable though. 

Wright looks awful trying to block on the move.  Looks lost.  Either he can't find someone to block or he can engage.

I also worry that the Tenn offense hides issues but YMMV