OL Talk

nicfre2011

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Darnell Wright is climbing up my board. I haven’t really found many glaring weaknesses like some others have.

for example Paris has a technical floor that could get him buried. His arms start so wide, it’s like he’s going to hug the DE. A strong arm into his chest, and he’s in reverse at a rate of knots. That is coachable though. 

Paris also has a high floor as an OG, which he played a full season at.

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

for example Paris has a technical floor that could get him buried. His arms start so wide, it’s like he’s going to hug the DE. A strong arm into his chest, and he’s in reverse at a rate of knots. That is coachable though. 

Ironically speaking, I'm pretty sure you're talking about the same thing that the Packers' OL are taught and fans complain about the OL holding on every play.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:50 AM, NYRaider said:

Any thoughts on Chandler Zavala?

On 3/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, Superduperman said:

Furthermore, compare/contrast him with Steve Avila? The Lions have met with both and I feel like one of them is ending up in blue and silver

Zavala's impressively athletic for his size. He moves well into the second level and has a pretty quick set. Great size and looks like he has long arms. Tested really well. The main drawbacks are that he's not especially powerful on contact and he doesn't anchor quite as well as it looks like he should. That'll most likely improve.

Avila has a quicker first step and a better initial punch but he's not really a monster at the poa either. He's not as good of an athlete as Zavala. He generally anchors better. He's also played a season at center and looked good there as well as guard.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:46 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I can't believe what a jump Darnell Wright made from his time with Pruitt to Heupel. Happy for him and for sticking it out with a new coach. Seems to have paid off for him.

I just watched him yesterday for the first time and dug into him. 

I'd be thrilled to land him at 15 and put him in front of Love for the next 5+ years at RT.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I just watched him yesterday for the first time and dug into him. 

I'd be thrilled to land him at 15 and put him in front of Love for the next 5+ years at RT.

Getting a lot of NE buzz at 14.

which means we won’t pick him, so. Fill yer boots 

In 2019 as a freshman Wright saw action in 11 games and played a total of 360 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 10 games and a total of 569 snaps. He conceded a solid 9 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 5 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.

In 2021 as a junior Wright saw action in 13 games and totaled 922 snaps. He gave up 13 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing at left tackle.

In 2022 as a senior Wright saw action in 12 games and played a total of 829 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.

mostly at RT by far. He has a lot of college experience. Good prospect, for me. Despite the stiffness in run blocking 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It’s just one ex-coach’s opinion (a very good OL coach fwiw) but Scarnecchia doesn’t seem keen on Wright in the top 20. One positional and lack of athleticism. 

Curious where you see this. I know Wright has some red flags that popped up.

Overall I think the top 5 OTs in this draft could all be top 15-20 picks. And then there's a drop-off. I really really like the top of the OT class.