OL Talk

nicfre2011

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah because he was considered a perfect prospect until this week. He's always had these warts. There is a reason he's not considered the top tackle in a relatively weak OT class.

Perfect prospect?  Absolutely not.  He was largely viewed as a Day 2 prospect, and the helium has pushed him into Day 1 territory.  Paris Johnson or Pete Skorosnki were largely viewed as OL1 for pretty much the entire draft process.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You do realize that being the fourth player taken at your position, in the entire draft, puts you squarely in “ the NFL likes you an awful lot” territory, right?

Because that does not make the point you seem to think it does.

Here's my thinking:

Darnell Wright is an absolute mauler in the run game. No question about it, he has the best pure tools to work with. He also has the best "highlight tape." The fact that he isn't going to be the #1 OT taken with his height, weight, speed, power, and dominant reps on tape speak to something. It speaks to his technique and his inconsistent tape. If his technique was not an issue, it wouldn't even be close to who was OT1 in the class given everything else he has working for him. That's my point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Perfect prospect?  Absolutely not.  He was largely viewed as a Day 2 prospect, and the helium has pushed him into Day 1 territory.  Paris Johnson or Pete Skorosnki were largely viewed as OL1 for pretty much the entire draft process.

Should've tagged this with /s. I don't think he's a perfect prospect at all. I have a 2nd round grade on him. I think Dawand Jones is slightly better than him, to be honest.

My OT Rankings:

1. Peter Skoronski (76)
2. Paris Johnson (74)
3. Broderick Jones (74)
4. Dawand Jones (73)
5. Darnell Wright (73)
6. Carter Warren (70)
7. Anton Harrison (68)
8. Jaelyn Duncan (67)
9. Blake Freeland (66)
10. Matt Bergeron (66)

(I think Mauch is an IOL)

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Should've tagged this with /s. I don't think he's a perfect prospect at all. I have a 2nd round grade on him. I think Dawand Jones is slightly better than him, to be honest.

You said he was viewed as a perfect prospect.  Find me a SINGLE ranking where he's viewed as a top 5 prospect in the draft.  I'll wait.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You said he was viewed as a perfect prospect.  Find me a SINGLE ranking where he's viewed as a top 5 prospect in the draft.  I'll wait.

uhhh dude. You're not looking at the context in which I said that.

Someone posted, saying something along the lines of "it's funny that a week before the draft, now we're destroying Darnell Wright."

My comment, in jest, was "yeah, because he was viewed as a perfect prospect before now." Sarcasm. He was never viewed as a perfect prospect. So this idea that we're tearing him down this week specifically is false. He's never been some elite prospect. This isn't @VanS deciding to crap on Chase Young a week before the draft because he's not a good enough athlete (wtf). That seemed, to me, what this poster was insinuating was happening with Wright.

52 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I would agree. Nobody is a horrendous LT, but a great RT. And vice versa. I feel like if you flame at LT, a move to RT isn't going to automatically turn you into a stud.

I would have one exception to this rule in the Steeler's  Max Starks.  A massive ( 370lb) OT who was adequate as a RT but a pretty good LT.   Neither was bad but he was just better on the left side.

Both OTs need to pass protect better in today's NFL.  RT no longer have to be run blocking maulers but in some cases it does help.

47 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

My OT Rankings:

1. Paris Johnson
2. Peter Skoronski 
3. Darnell Wright 
4. Broderick Jones 
5. Dawand Jones
6. Anton Harrison
7. Jaelyn Duncan 
8. Cody Mauch 
9. Matt Bergeron 

10. Blake Freeland

Mauch is an OG with that arm length

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So is Skoronski.

agreed, just didn't mention it because Mauch over Bergeron, period, is silly to me and glaringly stuck out. Bergeron has him beat as an OG prospect, and he actually has the length to play OT.

Edited by Jeezla

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They’re both tackles. 

You probably said the same about Rashawn, no?

Nope.

I don’t even think Skoronski is that great a prospect at either position. T Rex arms and awful tape against Penn State this past year. Ohio State tape isn’t inspiring either.

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Nope.

I don’t even think Skoronski is that great a prospect at either position. T Rex arms and awful tape against Penn State this past year. Ohio State tape isn’t inspiring either.

And yet Scarrnechia, who was OL coach for NE from 1999-2019, name dropped him first in a discussion on this class of OLs. Also mentioned the arm length can be a trip up, as so many don’t actually use their length