OL Talk

nicfre2011

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't think he's the mauler that Scherff was. He's very good, but Scherff was NASTY. Skoronski is a technician moreso than a mauler.

I was thinking more in terms of being an elite OG, but not sure if he's an elite tackle.

• Like 1

I'm with @Daniel when it comes to Skoronski.  I just don't see it with this guy.  He looks slow and heavy footed, he plays with very little aggression, and he has basically zero power.  If you watch full game cut ups rather than just highlight reels you'll see he has just as many mediocre and bad plays as he does good ones, if not more.  He does way too much bear hugging (he's almost always "catching" instead of attacking, both in pass pro and the run game) and his work on the second level is not good because he takes poor angles and doesn't have the athleticism to recover.  Even on the line of scrimmage, if he takes a bad angle to start with he can't recover from it.  He's good at just getting in the way and not doing much else, which worked for him in college a lot of the time, but in the NFL he's going to get his *** handed to him.  He's going to have to play OG because he won't stand a snowball's chance in hell against NFL edge rushers, and I don't see him being all-pro on the interior, either.  Maybe he'll improve with better coaching and get to that point as an interior player, but I think his ceiling is really, really low because he just doesn't have the traits or athleticism to build on.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I'm with @Daniel when it comes to Skoronski.  I just don't see it with this guy.  He looks slow and heavy footed, he plays with very little aggression, and he has basically zero power.  If you watch full game cut ups rather than just highlight reels you'll see he does way too much bear hugging (he's almost always "catching" instead of attacking, both in pass pro and the run game) and his work on the second level is mediocre at best because he takes poor angles and doesn't have the athleticism to recover.  Even on the line of scrimmage, if he takes a bad angle to start with he can't recover from it.  He's good at just getting in the way and not doing much else, which worked for him in college a lot of the time, but in the NFL he's going to get his *** handed to him.  He's going to have to play OG because he won't stand a snowball's chance in hell against NFL edge rushers, and I don't see him being all-pro on the interior, either.  Maybe he'll improve with better coaching and get to that point as an interior player, but I think his ceiling is really, really low because he just doesn't have the traits or athleticism to build on.

This sounds like a scouting report in Mitchell Schwartz. 

What is there not to like about Jarrett Patterson again?  The dude has a ton of player experience, has never given up a sack in his career, has played multiple positions along the offensive line and could be a 10+ year starter in the league at center or guard.  Sure he is not super athletic but he has a very firm base, does not lose his balance much at all during games, can move guys and was part of a old school power run game at Notre Dame where they ran straight ahead and right behind him a lot of the time.

The guy is a rock in the middle and sure centers are not valued much but how is it not important to protect the QB right up the gut and run the ball down the middle to gain hard yards?  Not to mention how many awesome center prospects can play guard or have played tons of guard, Schmitz cannot say that and neither can any of the other centers in the up coming draft.  There is others who are super talented as well and sure maybe numbers alone gets him to drop

What he seems fat to some people and thus not athletic or talented?  Dude could be a player and if he falls past the 2nd that would be flat out insane to me.  Sure Schmitz is probably taken before him and maybe Oluwatimi if he works out well, Schmitz will workout well but still Patterson is a solid player to me.  

I do not usually read to many opinions out there but looking up Jarrett Patterson I came across this.  Mind you I did not watch the Senior bowl workouts much, watched the game but nothing stood out about Patterson.  He did get knocked over once and did get pushed back badly another time in those little short clips in the link.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-senior-bowl-recap-questions-left-unanswered-on-final-day-by-former-irish-standouts

The dude never allowed a sack in what over 1600+ pass blocking snaps but because he got beat a few times in a practice he sucks?  Some guys are just not great in a one on one setting in practice, but in games especially this past year Patterson was extremely solid, granted he was around other good players so maybe as a group they just all played well together.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What is there not to like about Jarrett Patterson again?  The dude has a ton of player experience, has never given up a sack in his career, has played multiple positions along the offensive line and could be a 10+ year starter in the league at center or guard.  Sure he is not super athletic but he has a very firm base, does not lose his balance much at all during games, can move guys and was part of a old school power run game at Notre Dame where they ran straight ahead and right behind him a lot of the time.

The guy is a rock in the middle and sure centers are not valued much but how is it not important to protect the QB right up the gut and run the ball down the middle to gain hard yards?  Not to mention how many awesome center prospects can play guard or have played tons of guard, Schmitz cannot say that and neither can any of the other centers in the up coming draft.  There is others who are super talented as well and sure maybe numbers alone gets him to drop

What he seems fat to some people and thus not athletic or talented?  Dude could be a player and if he falls past the 2nd that would be flat out insane to me.  Sure Schmitz is probably taken before him and maybe Oluwatimi if he works out well, Schmitz will workout well but still Patterson is a solid player to me.  

I do not usually read to many opinions out there but looking up Jarrett Patterson I came across this.  Mind you I did not watch the Senior bowl workouts much, watched the game but nothing stood out about Patterson.  He did get knocked over once and did get pushed back badly another time in those little short clips in the link.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-senior-bowl-recap-questions-left-unanswered-on-final-day-by-former-irish-standouts

The dude never allowed a sack in what over 1600+ pass blocking snaps but because he got beat a few times in a practice he sucks?  Some guys are just not great in a one on one setting in practice, but in games especially this past year Patterson was extremely solid, granted he was around other good players so maybe as a group they just all played well together.  

He is my 2nd rated OL in the class behind Schmitz. Both have high-end starter written all over them. Both are hella reliable and have almost zero bust factor. Plug & play day 1. Patterson doesn’t move quite as quickly as Schmitz, but he’s more than quick enough to get to the 2nd level on a consistent basis. That is about the only thing that puts Schmitz ahead of Patterson…marginal edge in quickness. 

Can someone please explain to me why Cody Mauch is exclusively an OG in the NFL? 

Is it an arm length thing? From what I read it seemed like he played all 5 positions at the Senior Bowl and performed well. I could see the Patriots falling in love with his attitude / Senior Bowl performance and wanting to put him at RT.. but everywhere seems to list him as a guard now exclusively. 

45 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Can someone please explain to me why Cody Mauch is exclusively an OG in the NFL? 

Is it an arm length thing? From what I read it seemed like he played all 5 positions at the Senior Bowl and performed well. I could see the Patriots falling in love with his attitude / Senior Bowl performance and wanting to put him at RT.. but everywhere seems to list him as a guard now exclusively. 

Shortish arms (33").  It can be an issue at Ot in the NFL as OTs with shortish arms tend to become waist benders to make up for that fact.  I would certainly give him a shot at RT because he is athletic and can move.  Worst case is that he moves inside.

IMHO, he is a day 2 pick.  He will need a year to get stronger and clean up his technique.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1