Would you rather...

Kiwibrown

Would you rather...  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather

• 5 hof players on your team have amazing careers over a decade. No Superbowl.
    • One Superbowl, no star players and no hof players, mediocre results for a decade

Super Bowl!!! duh  But only because we don't have one.

I've had this conversation with guys I go to games with (season tix) and a lot of times I like the idea of being consistent.  I felt that way in the Andy dalton playoff years, but after falling miserably short in the postseason, I want to taste that champaign.

Edited by INbengalfan

It's honestly not as simple as it sounds. I thought over it a long time and having suffered through a decade of mediocrity with almost no noteworthy players I don't think I'd have enjoyed watching the sport much more in that period if we had one fluke win (other than that run). It's nowhere near the first option but the Rex years of exciting players and a couple of legit HoFers were the best time to be a Jets fan.

I would argue that knowing what happens would ruin the fun of either scenario though. 

If we're assuming option one means like, dominance for a decade, but no Superbowl and great players, (rather than just having HOF players) then I choose it.

Yes, a Super Bowl is what we want, but in a more general sense, we watch to see our team win games.  We don't just tune out the regular season and start watching at playoffs, we watch week to week, hoping each time that the team wins.

Watching my team win is great, and it makes me happy.  Watching them win, with a bunch of great players, a lot, over the course of a decade, probably gives me more overall joy than winning a Super Bowl (seemingly by accident without any star players) and then being a mediocre team for nine years.

• Like 1

Let me put it this way. I have been a Washington fan all of my life. That extends to the Capitals, Nationals, Wizards, and obviously the Commanders.

When the Capitals won theirs, I was so excited. When the Nationals won one, I was excited.

If the Commanders ever win one, I actually might just spontaneously combust out of pure excitement. I love football more than those 2 sports.

We've been mediocre most of my life. One Super Bowl win that I can hold onto consciously as an adult? You bet your bippy I want that.

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

Can I challenge the premise? What team has 5 Hof players and no super bowl. If there any examples (and I mean having them for a decade give or take and at a still strong point in their careers)

90's Bills: Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith. Tasker is arguably a HoFer and I may be forgetting another one who's actually in.

3 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

And yet they're both much better than reality for a few teams. Ugh. I think the Lions have 2 HOF players from my lifetime. 3 when Suh gets in.

I mean, yeah, it can be worse in reality lol. But if someone said the Lions win a SB, but it’s guaranteed they play like trash for the next decade - you’d trade that? They’re finally on the come up.

I know people generally say they would, and it’s probably different since I haven’t had to live with a lifetime of the pain, but teams turn things around all the time. At least if you have a chance there’s something to hope for vs the guaranteed decade drought. Shrug.

• Like 1