2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think it would take much to trade for Carr. He has a pretty high cap number and is getting 40 mill which is a little high for what he has done. I think JD will offer a player or pick. The teams that need a QB either don't have the cap space or not a QB away and need a lot more help. 

I’d love to dangle Lawson over a pick. They need DL help big time and Carr already signed off. 

Carr had world class talent around him and was never consistently accurate. Are you signing him were all the guaranteed money in front loaded? Can the Jets bring back the same team next year (who are their free agents)? It will depend on the contract. I would go with Lamar, but Carr is next best option perhaps. I could see a VinnyT trajectory with Carr, where they are playing competitive football for a 3-4 year window, but not a Super Bowl. Those old Jet teams had to contend with Bledsoe and Flutie.... now it's Allen, maybe Tua at least for another year. Bad luck as usual for the Jets.

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

3rd rounder for Carr? Do we have enough leverage for a 4th/conditional 4th that turns into 3rd if we make the playoffs, something like that. 

What WR and OL are out there? I like Noah Brown to replace Davis, wouldn’t mind a burner or Davis replacement later in the draft to develop. 

So LV has 0 and I mean 0 leverage with Carr.

He has a no trade clause. So he can in essence pick who he wants to go to. Let’s say HOU wants him (hypothetically) and offers a 2nd for him. He can reject that. So Carr not LV sets the market. If he doesn’t like the teams interested trying to trade for him he can force to be released by rejecting trades.

I think we’re an attractive team for him if we get an OC in here who he likes that system. We have a great young group of players to pitch him in Hall, Wilson and Moore. Mixed with vets at TE in Conklin and Uzo. Explain how we are focused on continuing to build up the OL and are getting Becton and AVT back. And I think he’d accept a trade to us.

Only way I see us even thinking about giving up something valuable for him is if there’s another team or even multiple teams that will give up a good amount for him and we really want him. I just don’t see that happening though. Because of the reason I said. No one’s offering 1sts and 2nds for a guy that will Get released.

At the end of the day I can see him going for like a 4th this year and maybe a 4th next year that can turn into a 3rd based on performance.

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Honestly, I trust JD when it comes to deals. He places the kill switch in contracts perfectly. It wouldn't shock me if he figured out how to restructure Carr's deal and save on the cap hit. 

This is another thing. Carr isn’t going to accept a trade without knowing the teams plans contract wise with him. It’ll be a trade and restructure in 1 move.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is another thing. Carr isn’t going to accept a trade without knowing the teams plans contract wise with him. It’ll be a trade and restructure in 1 move.

Right. So if we were to make the move, I trust JD in handling that part well. Then he would place the potential out after year 2. That's part of the reason why I'm not too worried about the money side or what we give up. 

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Right. So if we were to make the move, I trust JD in handling that part well. Then he would place the potential out after year 2. That's part of the reason why I'm not too worried about the money side or what we give up. 

Carr I don't see accepting a deal where the team has an easy out after 2 years. I'd imagine he'd get at least 3 years of guaranteed money. Remember he's 31... not 36.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Carr I don't see accepting a deal where the team has an easy out after 2 years. I'd imagine he'd get at least 3 years of guaranteed money. Remember he's 31... not 36.

I can't see anyone offering a QB that got benched in his 30s a deal without a early out. That often goes to the 25yr old kids.  He may try to push it to year 3, but it's not going further than that if he can pull it off. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I can't see anyone offering a QB that got benched in his 30s a deal without a early out. That often goes to the 25yr old kids.  He may try to push it to year 3, but it's not going further than that if he can pull it off. 

He had no business being benched. Only reason why he did was bc they were completely out of the playoffs and for whatever reason decided wanted to see what they had with Stidham.

Carr's stats this year were 61% 235yds/gm 24 TDs 14 INTs. Stats produced just earlier this week brought to our light was that we haven't had a 20+ TD QB since the weird Fitz year. Take that season away and it's been crazy long.

Carr threw for 24 TDs without playing 2 games in an off year for him. You give him Hall, Wilson, Moore, (another WR), Conklin, Uzo... and he's regularly a 20+ TD guy for us. Probably a regular 25+ guy for us. I'd gladly give him 3 years guaranteed.