2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Carr can be had for a mid or even possibly later round pick. Given his contract (I assume if we traded for him, we'd restructure him a bit). But being they can just cut him. His value isn't high. But I say giving up a mid late rounder to guarantee us him rather than try and outbid other teams is a good game plan. He's actually younger than I thought tbh. Off the top of my head I thought he was already in his mid 30s. Be he's 31. Which means he has at least a few good years ahead of him still.

To get Lamar will cost a ton. Bc of that and his skill set no equaling long term success. I wouldn't trade for him. I'd love him for a few years but he just can't throw the ball good enough to do good in this league if his running game isn't a HUGE threat like it is now. 

Agreed on both points. First Carr. I don't think we'll jump the gun until we get our OC but maybe we trade a Mims or a Michael Carter if we want to keep picks. I could see us moving either or both this offseason. Just a thought but a late round pick would be fine otherwise. I also think that if you trade for him you have to restructure the deal even if that means an extra year. Right now he is definitely making slightly too much. It would not hurt nearly as much if they took Zach in the deal but paying Carr $30m+ AND Zach $11m is pretty insane. Despite what Woody or Saleh or even Douglas wants to tell the media, if they can get a veteran like Carr and move Zach's number, they will not hesitate.

Lamar to me just doesn't make sense for us. First, the Ravens will franchise him so they will be selling to the highest bidder if they decide to move him. Second, after unloading premium draft picks for a team that has been rebuilding and is already tight to the cap, now you are going to have to pay a QB at least $45m a year whose best physical attribute is his athleticism. Couple that with the fact he missed 5 games in 2021, 5 to end this season and is going to miss their Wild Card game. This Jets team likely goes 9-8 or 10-7 if we had better luck with injuries. As much as this franchise has need stable QB play and he'd be a blast like you said, we can't afford to give up all that and pay him when he is a very risky asset. 

I think Carr is the best option for this team in terms of cost and reliability. He is also a very good leader and if not for the money would also be a good influence on Zach if that can make the financials work and not move him. If we add Carr this offseason and have another strong draft, there is no reason why we can't be very successful in 2023. 

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

What does that even mean "to develop a QB"?  I am serious.  Was Mahomes "developed" or did he just know how to play after sitting a year?  Did Reid tailor the O to his strengths and cover his weaknesses?

My point is that I question what teams do to "develop" a QB.  In the end, the Jets have never "developed" a QB because we have never drafted on that could "develop".  Occams Razor.  In today's NFL, a highly drafted QB is not sitting around being "developed" for a couple of years.  He gets in the game in a year if not sooner.  Hardly enough to "develop" them.  Round 3 or later QB's may have the luxury of being "developed" because there is no expectation.

Mahomes was for sure developed, same with Allen, Jackson, etc...sure some guys hit the ground running like Burrow but the Bengals implemented his LSU offense into their scheme so the transition was a bit more seamless. 

There's no absolutes, as every players process is different, but if you pigeon hole a player or force him into uncomfortable situations it hinders his growth(development) as a player. 

The mental processing is a huge transition for Quarterbacks, this is when people say the game is too fast for a player or it's slowed down for them and then you see their talents take over. What did the Jets do to help the game slow down for Darnold and Wilson and going back even Geno. It's not always about the talent around them but getting them to the point where their abilities can be used to their advantage. 

We can't keep excusing our inability to get the best out of guys. Eventually we have to. 

Honestly, Mike LaFleur on paper didn't get it done. John Benton didn't get it done as a "OL coach/Run game coordinator". Our run game has been awful the past 2 seasons. Our OL was awful. (Not that it was their fault we had so many injuries). 

But the other factor, we had 2 WRs request trades due to usage. We had our star #1 WR saying teams knew what plays we were running.  

LaFleur isn't terrible, has some good passing concepts. But overall, the offense had no flow to it and was consistently bad. Someone has to pay for that lack of offense. 

But I wonder if this is a situation where Woody Johnson forced this or this was a Saleh decision. 

Woody Johnson claims we are loaded and will be going all in on a QB.  He seems to be heavily involved even though he claims hes not. 

I'm very curious on who we hire as OC. Saleh said it doesn't have to be the Shanahan tree. Which I mean, I didn't see our offense running like Shannahan anyways, this team massively failed at running that offense. 

We also fired O-line coach John Benton and WR coach Miles Austin for those keeping track.

Looks like we're changing over pretty much the whole offensive staff. I think a scheme change is for sure coming. So I wouldn't link us automatically to to guys run a Shanahan type system. Not saying that wont be the route we go. But with getting rid of pretty much the whole offensive staff. It leaves it more open. 

I don't want Lamar. His throws are no better than say a Mike White. I hate run first QB's. They NEVER make it very far. I also hate the "Carr can't play in the cold". Carr played in a total of 5 games when the weather is under 37. Think about that 5 games. Your going to judge a guy on temp and not what he was working with or who he was going against in those games. Carr is the QB that will be a top 12 QB all year long. I will take that. 

8 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't want Lamar. His throws are no better than say a Mike White. I hate run first QB's. They NEVER make it very far. I also hate the "Carr can't play in the cold". Carr played in a total of 5 games when the weather is under 37. Think about that 5 games. Your going to judge a guy on temp and not what he was working with or who he was going against in those games. Carr is the QB that will be a top 12 QB all year long. I will take that. 

Carr is a California kid, has played on the West Coast his whole life. I aint bringing Carr to Buffalo in December. 

9 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Keep in mind in those games. He had better stats then what any of our QBs have averaged in forever.

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I feel like Carr is the start of us going down the wormhole the Colts just went down. 

I disagree. There's for me a HUGE difference between bringing in a 31yr old good QB to the likes of a 39 year old Rivers and a 37yr old Ryan. They took a shot with Wentz and it didn't work. Could have for them gone good like the Goff trade did for DET. I don't blame them for that (even though I've never been high on Wentz). Remember they got put in a bad QB situation bc of Luck retiring out of nowhere without letting the staff address the QB position. He literally retired like a week before the season was starting in 2019. So 2019 QB wise was a lost season for them.

I see :insert vet QB: as a leader and teacher for whoever we want to develop, while taking advantage of our weapons and defense. 

The real issue was Colts went all in on those short term guys thinking they’d win a championship. They didn’t win or have anyone developing. We draft a Hooker this year or KJ Jefferson next year to sit behind someone is a different story. 

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree. There's for me a HUGE difference between bringing in a 31yr old good QB to the likes of a 39 year old Rivers and a 37yr old Ryan. They took a shot with Wentz and it didn't work. Could have for them gone good like the Goff trade did for DET. I don't blame them for that (even though I've never been high on Wentz). Remember they got put in a bad QB situation bc of Luck retiring out of nowhere without letting the staff address the QB position. He literally retired like a week before the season was starting in 2019. So 2019 QB wise was a lost season for them.

We're gonna run through every teams rejects because we cant develop a guy.