2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

50 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

List your pairing.

Mine would be

OC Brian Johnson and QB Gardener Minshew.

Or

OC Pat Shurmur and QB Case Keenum.

I probably go with second pairing because both are seasoned veterans for those respective positions.

if this is what they do I’d be so upset.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The whole "No QB" thing is just nonsense. We have a Quarterback and we'll sign one as well. I hate how much hyperbole the media/twitter uses when it comes to our team. 

Sure but we absolutely have the worst QB situation in the entire league lol lets be honest. We haven't had a guy throw double digit TDs in like forever. We know we'll sign someone and we almost even get ahead ourselves being critical of like Carr or Jimmy G when they'd literally on par or better than anyone we've ever had, but still will likely be competing hard with other teams to the point where we'll be desperate to even land one of them. Happens every time.

The boy needs to sit a year. Nothing wrong with that. Wasn't ready, still isn't, too many things to fix. Hey have an offseason, come in and look night and day and maybe this is a much different conversation, but right now, we don't have a QB. That isn't hyperbole. 

2 hours ago, Heymangold said:

if this is what they do I’d be so upset.

Yeah I would definitely stop making the Jets a priority on Sunday's next fall if that was what we did on offense. The woman hates it enough already (not that I particularly care lol), but there are still a lot of beach days in September and even some of October, to be wasting on 1oclock games if Shurmur, Keenum, or Brian Johnson were the move we made. Even Minshew (still is a substantial upgrade sadly). We gotta be better than that.

Rodgers is theoretically mathematically impossible with the cap hit and dead cap if traded, Lamar is dynamic but his best attribute is running and its getting him hurt, 10 games in 2 years and now a playoff game. With our injury history that isnt going to cut it if you have to trade for him THEN give him big money. Jimmy G is also always hurt but wont cost us a trade and also much less than Lamar. Carr is reliable and consistent. It probably makes the most sense. Tannenhill maybe, but he's a little older and not quite as good but not a terrible option. I just get scared that we lose out on the guys we want and have to settle for borderline starter type guys.

29 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Sure but we absolutely have the worst QB situation in the entire league lol lets be honest. We haven't had a guy throw double digit TDs in like forever. We know we'll sign someone and we almost even get ahead ourselves being critical of like Carr or Jimmy G when they'd literally on par or better than anyone we've ever had, but still will likely be competing hard with other teams to the point where we'll be desperate to even land one of them. Happens every time.

The boy needs to sit a year. Nothing wrong with that. Wasn't ready, still isn't, too many things to fix. Hey have an offseason, come in and look night and day and maybe this is a much different conversation, but right now, we don't have a QB. That isn't hyperbole. 

Idk if it’s the worst honestly, I just think the issues are magnified for a myriad of reasons. I also don’t think he needs to sit a year but it’s mainly because idk what is wrong with him. Sitting a year isn’t some magic formula that will fix what’s wrong. Hopefully the change in offense helps but beyond that there might be things we just have no clue about. It’s gonna take some time and patience but ultimately it comes down to him playing well and doing it consistently. 

I think the next hot coordinator will be Tanner Engstrand from Detroit. Love his background, has experience calling plays, coached under Jim Harbaugh, played QB for SDSU, was an assistant head coach as well. Learning from Ben Johnson in Detroit and their unique, versatile scheming. He’s either gonna get promoted if Johnson takes a head coaching job this cycle or become someone’s next exciting young OC. And because of our ineptitude we couldn’t sell this hire to the media or fan base. We have to get a proven guy. Sometimes I hate being a big market team.

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Idk if it’s the worst honestly, I just think the issues are magnified for a myriad of reasons. I also don’t think he needs to sit a year but it’s mainly because idk what is wrong with him. Sitting a year isn’t some magic formula that will fix what’s wrong. Hopefully the change in offense helps but beyond that there might be things we just have no clue about. It’s gonna take some time and patience but ultimately it comes down to him playing well and doing it consistently. 

Agreed but if we actually get a decent vet Zach isn't beating him out in camp unless he makes a drastic improvement. Its not so much sitting being the magic formula but its a way to grow confidence. Having good practices, seeing it on the field and feeling like him can do all that. Seeing what a veteran sees. Zach is a smart kid. He just isn't football smart though in the NFL yet. Seeing a successful veteran go through his process for a year could do him better than trying to start him if he isnt there yet and then completely shattering any confidence that was left. Zach took time to figure it out in college. Even though I think there are so many blemishes to his game, part of me still thinks he could just be a late bloomer. If we keep him I do hope he comes into camp insanely motivated and in even better physical shape. Show you mean business. Don't just talk, and the cockiness needs to go. Be humble. He'll win the room back.

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Agreed but if we actually get a decent vet Zach isn't beating him out in camp unless he makes a drastic improvement. Its not so much sitting being the magic formula but its a way to grow confidence. Having good practices, seeing it on the field and feeling like him can do all that. Seeing what a veteran sees. Zach is a smart kid. He just isn't football smart though in the NFL yet. Seeing a successful veteran go through his process for a year could do him better than trying to start him if he isnt there yet and then completely shattering any confidence that was left. Zach took time to figure it out in college. Even though I think there are so many blemishes to his game, part of me still thinks he could just be a late bloomer. If we keep him I do hope he comes into camp insanely motivated and in even better physical shape. Show you mean business. Don't just talk, and the cockiness needs to go. Be humble. He'll win the room back.

It ain’t that deep. Let’s just see how it plays out. One things for sure the whole he was holding the offense back thing was proven wrong. Let’s just hope he gets his confidence back and the new OC knows what the hell he’s doing.

Edited by KingOfNewYork

This is our most serious problem in years, as of now we have no QB. this whole QB problem is going to screw up our draft for 2023. It is going to cost a ton of money or draft picks, Anybody that thinks Zack Wilson  is going to our starting QB in September, better think again.

Edited by doumeyer

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It ain’t that deep. Let’s just see how it plays out. One things for sure the whole he was holding the offense back thing was proven wrong. Let’s just hope he gets his confidence back and the new OC knows what the hell he’s doing.

The flip side of that is that... or was it just 3 bad QBs along with a poor system? It's not like we ever rolled out an average NFL starter out there and they struggled as well. We rolled out a guy who looks lost in a 2nd year QB in Wilson, a 37yr old Joe Flacco and a guy that wouldn't even be on most teams rosters on Sundays in Mike White (who for some reason this fan base fell in love with for 1 good game against the worst D in the NFL at the time with no Fields).

We at the moment have 0 good NFL starters. In fact we don't have any average QBs. I'll cheer up and down that it clicks for Wilson. But we cant go into 2023 with him being QB1. If somehow he wins it at some point or gets it by injury and thrives.... that'd be incredible. But for that to be the game plan would be awful. We need at least an average QB brought in here that immediately is the QB1 that Wilson has to chase to try and beat out. Not a Case Keenum, etc type guy. I want a for sure NFL starter that we feel with a healthy offense can play good.

Darrell Bevell seems to be the HOT NAME linked to us immediately.

He has a great track record with QBs. Look what he's done to Tua's game for example.

He has OC and even HC experience. Which based on what JD and Saleh said about a vet coach he fits.

He's my bet as the new OC. Which I'd be good with.

The fan in me wants Joe Brady still.

I don't  want anybody to think a am doing a mock draft because I am not, however when I look at the first eleven picks in the 2023 draft there could be at least three QB picked in the first eleven picks There is a bunch of teams that desperate for a QB and that doesn't  count us. At this  point of time I don't even think Joe Douglas, has a clue what to do, neither do. I 

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I don't  want anybody to think a am doing a mock draft because I am not, however when I look at the first eleven picks in the 2023 draft there could be at least three QB picked in the first eleven picks There is a bunch of teams that desperate for a QB and that doesn't  count us. At this  point of time I don't even think Joe Douglas, has a clue what to do, neither do. I 

Fully expect them to go the vet QB route and be more patient with Wilson as the backup.

Names to look for are....

Carr, Jimmy G, Tannehill, Minshew

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The flip side of that is that... or was it just 3 bad QBs along with a poor system? It's not like we ever rolled out an average NFL starter out there and they struggled as well. We rolled out a guy who looks lost in a 2nd year QB in Wilson, a 37yr old Joe Flacco and a guy that wouldn't even be on most teams rosters on Sundays in Mike White (who for some reason this fan base fell in love with for 1 good game against the worst D in the NFL at the time with no Fields).

We at the moment have 0 good NFL starters. In fact we don't have any average QBs. I'll cheer up and down that it clicks for Wilson. But we cant go into 2023 with him being QB1. If somehow he wins it at some point or gets it by injury and thrives.... that'd be incredible. But for that to be the game plan would be awful. We need at least an average QB brought in here that immediately is the QB1 that Wilson has to chase to try and beat out. Not a Case Keenum, etc type guy. I want a for sure NFL starter that we feel with a healthy offense can play good.

I’ve seen far more evidence of a coaching change helping the QB get better more than a QB change helping the coach get better. 

It’s funny actually because this very fan base has said it in the last few years about the coaches ruining the players yet with this kid it’s gotta be him and not the coach or the line, etc…

I will give some examples of things that’s been said

Look at Tannehill after he left Gase

Josh Allen wouldn’t have developed with the Jets

Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes if he was on the Jets

And there’s more examples. Jeff Saturday has shown just how vital coaching is lol. Plus our players voiced way to many frustrations with the state of the offense and it’s issues for me to not see that as a huge red flag. With all that being said Wilson, White and Flacco  all weren’t playing well enough.