2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We're gonna run through every teams rejects because we cant develop a guy.

I don’t think Carr is a reject like you do. Put him on a team like ours with a top 5 defense (for sure top 3 if we have a competent offense). We’re not only a playoff team. But contenders. It’s clear getting a vet and OL will be the focus.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think Carr is a reject like you do. Put him on a team like ours with a top 5 defense (for sure top 3 if we have a competent offense). We’re not only a playoff team. But contenders. It’s clear getting a vet and OL will be the focus.

I don’t believe this to be true but I can see the rationale. I think ultimately it comes down to the OC for me and the health of the OL. I truly believe with a better OC and a healthy Line this season we make the playoffs with 2 under center. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Agreed on both points. First Carr. I don't think we'll jump the gun until we get our OC but maybe we trade a Mims or a Michael Carter if we want to keep picks. I could see us moving either or both this offseason. Just a thought but a late round pick would be fine otherwise. I also think that if you trade for him you have to restructure the deal even if that means an extra year. Right now he is definitely making slightly too much. It would not hurt nearly as much if they took Zach in the deal but paying Carr $30m+ AND Zach $11m is pretty insane. Despite what Woody or Saleh or even Douglas wants to tell the media, if they can get a veteran like Carr and move Zach's number, they will not hesitate.

Lamar to me just doesn't make sense for us. First, the Ravens will franchise him so they will be selling to the highest bidder if they decide to move him. Second, after unloading premium draft picks for a team that has been rebuilding and is already tight to the cap, now you are going to have to pay a QB at least $45m a year whose best physical attribute is his athleticism. Couple that with the fact he missed 5 games in 2021, 5 to end this season and is going to miss their Wild Card game. This Jets team likely goes 9-8 or 10-7 if we had better luck with injuries. As much as this franchise has need stable QB play and he'd be a blast like you said, we can't afford to give up all that and pay him when he is a very risky asset. 

I think Carr is the best option for this team in terms of cost and reliability. He is also a very good leader and if not for the money would also be a good influence on Zach if that can make the financials work and not move him. If we add Carr this offseason and have another strong draft, there is no reason why we can't be very successful in 2023. 

You do realize Carr will cost about the same right?

I still like Saleh, but I find it ridiculous that Eric Bieniemy is still out there and nobody wants him. He was my No. 1 choice when we hired Saleh (he was second), and since then it seems nobody thinks of him as HC material. I find this not only dumb, but also bizarre.

Would KC still be great without him? Of course. But so many bad coaches get hired every year. If he is bad too, wouldn't somebody want to find out?

Hackett, another hotshot OC who never called plays, was a complete disaster in Denver. That may have killed all hope for all non-playcalling OCs this year. Or will it? 

It seems the only one who is not a consideration is Bieniemy. I just don't understand. Is it because he has no personality? OK, hire an OC with one. Is it because he cannot relate to players? Fine. Hire an assistant who can.

When I look at guys like Matt Eberflus, Kevin Stefanski, Josh McDaniels...why do they get a shot? What do they have that Bieniemy lacks?

Anyway, end of rant.

Carr scares me. What is his mindset after getting the best WR in the game to play for his team, and one year later the team decides to move on from him?

If we could get Adams as a package deal, then yeah. But just Carr? He seems too WR-dependent for my liking. I know we have three talented dudes, but I think we need a QB who is more low-maintenance. Someone who will enhance the WR group, and not the WR group forced to make the QB look better than he is. 

Also, the OC hire is probably linked to the QB we go after. And since I don't think LaFleur would have worked with a Lamar Jackson, then maybe the idea to move on from the OC is philosophical, and that the new OC is going to be catered more for a running QB?

A guy can dream.