2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

12 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

whether you like him  or not, Cant deny he got himself into tiptop shape

I think he is going to surprise everyone. Whether or not Becton can play has never been the question. He was a stud as a rookie. It was his ability to take care of his body and stay healthy. The fact he motivated himself to lose the weight and make sure he gets into shape, if that knee is healthy I think he'll bounce back.  He is putting in the work to turn his NFL career around. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I think he is going to surprise everyone. Whether or not Becton can play has never been the question. He was a stud as a rookie. It was his ability to take care of his body and stay healthy. The fact he motivated himself to lose the weight and make sure he gets into shape, if that knee is healthy I think he'll bounce back.  He is putting in the work to turn his NFL career around. 

I agree 100% and I think this is why Jets had no interest in T in this years draft. He is the future LT for a long time. 

On 5/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Problem with Becton is he's still very immature.. i.e "I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE.!!" 

That stuff won't sit well with the coaching staff (nor should it), despite how Saleh spins it. And, if he's running to twitter, it's already become an issue privately. 

I've always been pro-Becton.. said in the past not to write him off, talent is just absurd. So, I agree that if healthy, he'll be a stud.

The petulant attitude is still a red flag and I don't believe one off-season of commitment will be enough for Douglas to warrant a long-term extension, not matter how well he plays.

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Problem with Becton is he's still very immature.. i.e "I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE.!!" 

That stuff won't sit well with the coaching staff (nor should it), despite how Saleh spins it. And, if he's running to twitter, it's already become an issue privately. 

I've always been pro-Becton.. said in the past not to write him off, talent is just absurd. So, I agree that if healthy, he'll be a stud.

The petulant attitude is still a red flag and I don't believe one off-season of commitment will be enough for Douglas to warrant a long-term extension, not matter how well he plays.

I honestly love his attitude. Saleh told him publicly to "Go earn the LT spot" and Becton is making it clear he will. The team will feed off that energy. Most guys would fold after dealing with those type of injuries and having their last year declined. He's still coming with confidence while encouraging a lot of other people in their weight loss journey. He's probably the guy I'm rooting for the hardest because of that alone. 

• Like 1

Read an article stating that Becton is not a fan of the Jets coaching staff and FO. Take it with a grain of salt, but is plausible. It stated he will not resign with the Jets even if the Jets want him which may also be in doubt.  If he plays very well this year, there may be a peace offering in the form of a decent contract.  But he will certainly have to play better than his rookie season.

I saw someone mention him as a stud. Good as a rookie, yes. Stud no. He gave up 7 sacks which is in the bottom half of OT’s. He was getting manhandled by Lawson in TC before going down. Hopefully he will show better in TC and during the season this year. Even if he is only marginally better, we may be seeing the last of him.

22 minutes ago, xrade said:

Read an article stating that Becton is not a fan of the Jets coaching staff and FO. Take it with a grain of salt, but is plausible. It stated he will not resign with the Jets even if the Jets want him which may also be in doubt.  If he plays very well this year, there may be a peace offering in the form of a decent contract.  But he will certainly have to play better than his rookie season.

I saw someone mention him as a stud. Good as a rookie, yes. Stud no. He gave up 7 sacks which is in the bottom half of OT’s. He was getting manhandled by Lawson in TC before going down. Hopefully he will show better in TC and during the season this year. Even if he is only marginally better, we may be seeing the last of him.

They can tag him. If the Jets want him here next year, he'll be here. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They can tag him. If the Jets want him here next year, he'll be here. 

You make it sound so easy. The franchise tag next year for OL is projected to be almost $24M. Again, he will have to play really well to be considered for that. 

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I honestly love his attitude. Saleh told him publicly to "Go earn the LT spot" and Becton is making it clear he will. The team will feed off that energy. Most guys would fold after dealing with those type of injuries and having their last year declined. He's still coming with confidence while encouraging a lot of other people in their weight loss journey. He's probably the guy I'm rooting for the hardest because of that alone. 

I love that he's taken responsibility, stepped up and put in the work to change the trajectory of his career - 100% rooting for the guy. 

I'm not a fan of taking shots at the coaching staff or the entitled attitude behind it: 

• "It made no sense to put me at RT.."
  • "I got to forced to play a position I don't play.. and I was told I shouldn't be complaining"

He goes on to blame his injury last season on the coaching staff, saying the position switch put more pressure on his knee. When asked about his current relationship with the staff, "They're okay, I mean it is what it is"

Mehki didn't get hurt because he was playing RT - and if so, he shouldn't have been playing at all. It's a childish remark to pass blame because his ego tells him he has to play LT. Polar opposite of AVT, from a team first perspective.

I've always been in his camp.. He was my choice in the draft and I've gone back-and-forth on here with people who wanted to give up on him. Definitely rooting for him, but not a fan of these comments. 

8 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I love that he's taken responsibility, stepped up and put in the work to change the trajectory of his career - 100% rooting for the guy. 

I'm not a fan of taking shots at the coaching staff or the entitled attitude behind it: 

• "It made no sense to put me at RT.."
  • "I got to forced to play a position I don't play.. and I was told I shouldn't be complaining"

He goes on to blame his injury last season on the coaching staff, saying the position switch put more pressure on his knee. When asked about his current relationship with the staff, "They're okay, I mean it is what it is"

Mehki didn't get hurt because he was playing RT - and if so, he shouldn't have been playing at all. It's a childish remark to pass blame because his ego tells him he has to play LT. Polar opposite of AVT, from a team first perspective.

I've always been in his camp.. He was my choice in the draft and I've gone back-and-forth on here with people who wanted to give up on him. Definitely rooting for him, but not a fan of these comments. 

Oh yeah, I wasn't assuming you were against him or anything. I think there was about 3-4 of us who were actually happy we drafted him. So I wasn't trying to go at you in any way. 

I understand how the comments can look, but I have a different POV on this. When he got hurt, coaching staff called him out on his weight, his effort was questioned, and more. We didn't hear much. Then they tried to push him to practice on a bad knee. Now we're hearing the messed up story about Ty Johnson. If he wanted to, he could have demanded a trade like E.Moore did, but he's coming in with an attitude and claiming this position. 

I think Becton will end up winning the position anyway. Brown is his only competition and he's basically 40. I think we'll be alright. 

I'm more worried about our LB core and QW's deal. lol Even if Becton missed, we have enough depth to get good enough protection. 

• Like 1

Let's be clear that Becton has earned NOTHING. When you haven't played in 2 years... you have NO RIGHT to talk down on the Jets Brass. This is the type of crap that gets a guy in the doghouse and traded like Moore and Adams.

These young kids have 0 accountability. I guess the Jets made him overweight too? The force fed him and had him out of shape?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Let's be clear that Becton has earned NOTHING. When you haven't played in 2 years... you have NO RIGHT to talk down on the Jets Brass. This is the type of crap that gets a guy in the doghouse and traded like Moore and Adams.

These young kids have 0 accountability. I guess the Jets made him overweight too? The force fed him and had him out of shape?

Great post, what you say is so true.

9 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Now we're hearing the messed up story about Ty Johnson.

Ty was most likely gone anyway.  He approached the Jets doctors with a medical ailment and they gave their medical opinion.  One has nothing to do with the other.

All we hear is one side of the story.  Both sides need to be heard.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xrade said:

Ty was most likely gone anyway.  He approached the Jets doctors with a medical ailment and they gave their medical opinion.  One has nothing to do with the other.

All we hear is one side of the story.  Both sides need to be heard.

He is more upset that the Jets drafted the Pitt RB and took his spot. 

I wish Mekhi had any trade value. Dude will never get it. Wants credit for working out in the offseason. Like bro you get drafted top 15 and had a nice rookie year but had to take several plays off. Got hurt two seasons in a row, ballooned up to a freaking parade float and now want to pump your chest for being at a respectable weight while also blaming the staff for last years injury. I hated this pick immediately. Wirfs was the guy.