2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I hope he balls out for you guys. I imagine he immediately has a touch more success with you guys and that o-line 

The one variable at work:  David Montgomery has run behind some not-so-great O-Lines during his time in Chicago.  He might put up improved numbers running behind Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson, Frank Ragnow and Penei Sewell.

Will be interesting to see what Williams gets now.  I wish we kept him but if he wanted more than what we have Monty, then I get why we didn’t bring him back. He is a great locker room guy but other than the TDs, which were mostly short yardage situations, Monty is probably a better RB on the field. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is tough to see Jamal Williams go but when you score that many touchdowns in one season a team like the Bengals, Bills or any other team with legit super bowl aspirations are going take a long look.  He is going to be tough to replace in the locker room.

tough to replace.........thats a long shot...guys had most of all his TD's on 5 yards or less..Locker Room Guy..will be missed the most..plus fans..including I!

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Will be interesting to see what Williams gets now.  I wish we kept him but if he wanted more than what we have Monty, then I get why we didn’t bring him back. He is a great locker room guy but other than the TDs, which were mostly short yardage situations, Monty is probably a better RB on the field. 

someone with common scenes  

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he'll be the better runner and receiver but I think we are undervaluing the ability to punch in goal line runs.  It's not always a given.  Having said that I really want a more dynamic back.  Even Swift isn't a burner.  I want a guy that is a threat to take it the distance.  We don't have that on our roster.  Monty is about as steady a pro as you can get.  He's good but I want a RB that scares defenses.  

Okay, so to recap.

Tendered:

TE Brock Wright

TE Shane Zylstra

DL Benito Jones

LB Anthony Pittman

LS Scott Daly

Re-Signed:

RB Craig Reynolds

OT Matt Nelson

DL Isaiah Buggs

DL John Cominsky

LB Alex Anzalone

DB Will Harris

Agreed to Terms:

RB David Montgomery

CB Emmanuel Moseley

CB Cameron Sutton

Signed elsewhere:

n/a

Draft Picks:

#6-

#18-

#48-

#55-

#81-

#152-

#183-

#194-

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There's a potential scenario where Montgomery is the RB2/receiving back and we either bring back JW or draft someone to be more of the ground-and-pounder. This would result in Swift being traded. When Swift is on the field, he generally is viewed by opposing defenses as a receiving back and it sort of flags what we'll be doing on offense. If you have a guy that's more balanced, it's more difficult to assess that and defend it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There's a potential scenario where Montgomery is the RB2/receiving back and we either bring back JW or draft someone to be more of the ground-and-pounder. This would result in Swift being traded. When Swift is on the field, he generally is viewed by opposing defenses as a receiving back and it sort of flags what we'll be doing on offense. If you have a guy that's more balanced, it's more difficult to assess that and defend it. 

Based on the Lions activity in free agency to date I could see them moving on from both D'Andre Swift and Jeff Okudah prior to the draft.

LIONS CB ROOM

I don't expect the Lions to sit on their hands this draft and not add pieces to the CB room, even with the additions of Sutton and Mosley. We may be looking more so at middle round guys in the 2nd - 4th rounds who have some time to develop. However, we really don't have a lot under contract looking ahead at next year and beyond that. 

I don't expect Okudah to get his 5th year option picked up now and maybe they'll see how he does like the Giants did with Daniel Jones. 

• Cameron Sutton
  • Emmanuel Mosley
  • Jeff Okudah
  • Jerry Jacobs
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

• Amani Oruwariye
  • Mike Hughes

• Cameron Sutton
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

• Jeff Okudah
  • Emmanuel Mosley
  • Jerry Jacobs (RFA)

• Cameron Sutton
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

No one on the roster

41 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Swift averaged 5.5 yards per carry last year so not really a flag of what we are doing.  But he is more of a receiving threat so they may lean towards him catching a ball which could lead to those better per carry numbers.  He and Monty are very similar IMO though, so I agree they may go after a change of pace guy.  Swift is a great weapon, and for cheap, so I don't doubt we keep him but just have insurance or the ability to not over use him.  But I also don't think we re-sign him after this year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

LIONS CB ROOM

I don't expect the Lions to sit on their hands this draft and not add pieces to the CB room, even with the additions of Sutton and Mosley. We may be looking more so at middle round guys in the 2nd - 4th rounds who have some time to develop. However, we really don't have a lot under contract looking ahead at next year and beyond that. 

I don't expect Okudah to get his 5th year option picked up now and maybe they'll see how he does like the Giants did with Daniel Jones. 

• Cameron Sutton
  • Emmanuel Mosley
  • Jeff Okudah
  • Jerry Jacobs
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

• Amani Oruwariye
  • Mike Hughes

• Cameron Sutton
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

• Jeff Okudah
  • Emmanuel Mosley
  • Jerry Jacobs (RFA)

• Cameron Sutton
  • Chase Lucas

UFA's

No one on the roster

We also are bringing back Will Harris, which makes me think an Okudah trade could happen this year.  If we draft a CB, we will either have to cut Lucas or move Okudah.  Cutting Lucas is a better option for overall depth but Okudah would likely get something back as far as compensation.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We also are bringing back Will Harris, which makes me think an Okudah trade could happen this year.  If we draft a CB, we will either have to cut Lucas or move Okudah.  Cutting Lucas is a better option for overall depth but Okudah would likely get something back as far as compensation.  

Any idea how much guarantees Harris got? My first thought is he was signed as a camp body who knows the defense. I still think he's one of the first out the door if we draft a CB. 

I think Okudah stays until training camp at least. Maybe they play around a bit with him and see if he can hack it as more of a nickel CB or hybrid safety. 

I like the Montgomery signing. I loved having Jamaal on the team, but I feel like Montgomery is a pretty clear upgrade (not a huge one, but every bit better you can get counts) and sees like the cost might be pretty similar.

• Like 1