Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Might as well not if they have the impact Riley Reiff did!

you mean be signed as a swing tackle then end up starting 10 games for us because he was better than who we expected to start at RT?

i also hate when a contingency/back up plan works out

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Right now our line is 

LT: ?

LG: Above Average

C Maybe Competent

RG: Above Average

RT: Talentless black hole

You are going to need one hell of a draft and some serious internal development for that to be an above average group...competent isn't guaranteed with 3/5 spots having legit question marks.

We have the same discussion every year about player development, don’t we? You want known, above average commodities at every single position and no reliance upon draft picks or developing players, but that’s just isn’t realistic. The only option for that would be the Rams’ “F them picks” approach which is obviously not sustainable and, frankly, basically what Pace did that took him right out of town. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Competence is the minimum standard. I would love for us to be above average, I think Fields deserves that. I am going to push for better than competence.

I complain about Whitehair because the last time we saw him play C he was bad... bad enough that he was moved to OG... where he was also pretty bad.

Patrick is a pylon. The tape he put together last year should have had him cut the minute the season ended. He was unprofessionally bad.

I guess are disagreement is on the quality of Whitehair and Patrick.

Patrick isn’t a guard. He’s not big enough and doesn’t have the power for it. He’s a center, and he played like a dozen snaps there all year in 2022. Are you formulating the opinion that he’s “a pylon” based on his play out of position or on the dozen or so center snaps? He was entirely competent in GB when actually at center. Not good or upper tier, but competent. Whitehair isn’t a good center, but he’s been at least an adequate one the vast majority of his time there. The snapping issues were part of one season for like a few weeks and are entirely overblown here.

And again, those guys are the floor. I think the likelihood both are competing for their roster spots at the position is reasonably high post draft. 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

you mean be signed as a swing tackle then end up starting 10 games for us because he was better than who we expected to start at RT?

i also hate when a contingency/back up plan works out

The contigency plan didn't "work out." Borom stunk so Reiff took over, but he was dog**** too and you know it

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We have the same discussion every year about player development, don’t we? You want known, above average commodities at every single position and no reliance upon draft picks or developing players, but that’s just isn’t realistic. The only option for that would be the Rams’ “F them picks” approach which is obviously not sustainable and, frankly, basically what Pace did that took him right out of town. 

I am fine with picks… nice high ones.

Throwing day 3 picks at a spot and hoping for development is a long shot… that we don’t have time for.

I want actual investment in the OL. Premium drafts picks who have a chance to be blue chip players on the OL. Until we get that I want veterans who can do the job. I don’t think that is too much to ask. Fields deserves that.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Patrick isn’t a guard. He’s not big enough and doesn’t have the power for it. He’s a center, and he played like a dozen snaps there all year in 2022. Are you formulating the opinion that he’s “a pylon” based on his play out of position or on the dozen or so center snaps? He was entirely competent in GB when actually at center. Not good or upper tier, but competent. Whitehair isn’t a good center, but he’s been at least an adequate one the vast majority of his time there. The snapping issues were part of one season for like a few weeks and are entirely overblown here.

And again, those guys are the floor. I think the likelihood both are competing for their roster spots at the position is reasonably high post draft. 

I have a hard time believing a horrific OG will slide over to C and be drastically better. C is a more difficult spot… and once the ball is snapped you have to block guys, which he could not do last year.

If Whitehair is the floor… okay… but that requires someone who is the ceiling.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with picks… nice high ones.

Throwing day 3 picks at a spot and hoping for development is a long shot… that we don’t have time for.

I want actual investment in the OL. Premium drafts picks who have a chance to be blue chip players on the OL. Until we get that I want veterans who can do the job. I don’t think that is too much to ask. Fields deserves that.

Sure. And I’m sure nobody disagrees with that. But the draft hasn’t happened yet, and there are no games for 4 months and no regular season games for over 5 months. 

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have a hard time believing a horrific OG will slide over to C and be drastically better. C is a more difficult spot… and once the ball is snapped you have to block guys, which he could not do last year.

Its impressive how obtuse you try to be in order to get some of your points across.

We saw actual "horrific" Line play on our very roster this year, and Whitehair was absolutely no where near that level. But keep spinning your yarn, Im sure someone will buy it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The contigency plan didn't "work out." Borom stunk so Reiff took over, but he was dog**** too and you know it

no, i don't know it. i would hardly call what Reiff did dog****. He played the 63rd most snaps for a T, allowed 3 sacks and had 4 penalties. that's hardly dog****. was he the same player he was even just a few years ago? no, but nobody expected that.

also, if you sign a guy to be a swing tackle, but *could* start for you and relatively hold his own in case something happens, and that exact scenario happens - that would be called a plan working out. imagine if they didn't plan for that!

also, the fact that he signed with NE in the first couple days of FA shows that he actually still does have value in this league, even as a 34 year old tackle that was "dog****"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I didn’t expect Jay Cutler to be so far right on every issue. I miss when he didn’t care about anything. 

i just unfollowed him on instagram because he was really starting to get into the weeds there. miss when it was just pics of his *** and kcav 

• Like 3